Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

A question about seams and hashes

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

A question about seams and hashes

Postby Tarshana » 13 Sep 2016, 04:43

Hello other modders and texture makers. I am currently working on fixing seams that appear on Steve Cortez, Udina, Baily and other males that use the same texture file

I pulled out all the associated textures, make them all nice and beautiful and then applied them in ME3Explorer. So the diffuse are all 2048 ,the norms I made 1024. So the questions are: Am I missing another part of the texture that should be redone? Should the files be made into vanilla first and then the new texture applied or do these just override those? Any help or tips, or another post you can point me to is appreciated :)
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Re: A question about seams and hashes

Postby KFreon » 13 Sep 2016, 06:29

Hello :)

[quote=Should the files be made into vanilla first and then the new texture applied or do these just override those?[/quote]
Not sure what you mean my this.

I'm assuming the following:
- You extracted with Texmod.
- You installed with TPFtools.

Installing textures using the toolset completely overrides the original texture.
Most textures also have a specular map as well, which controls how shiny things are.

Lastly, hello there commander :)
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby CreeperLava » 13 Sep 2016, 07:19

Checking the obvious, did you mod the scalp and face texture ? The seams should come from a difference between those two. From what we have gathered until now, it's either due to a hue difference in the diff or the diff's alpha (!), an intensity difference in the norm, or as K mentioned, different spec maps (although I've rarely seen any for face textures).

Whether you vanilla or not before installing your new textures makes no difference. It would be better to begin with a vanilla game though, to avoid any interference. Maybe other textures cause the issue, too, so you want a clean game to make the first tests.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 13 Sep 2016, 16:05

Yeah, I see this in a lot of mods, Tarsh.

It's what Creeper said. A resolution/alpha difference between the face and scalp textures. In my experience, it's usually involves the normal.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Tarshana » 13 Sep 2016, 21:54

KFreon wrote:Hello :)

[quote="Tarshana]Should the files be made into vanilla first and then the new texture applied or do these just override those?[/quote]
Not sure what you mean my this.

I'm assuming the following:
- You extracted with Texmod.
- You installed with TPFtools.

Installing textures using the toolset completely overrides the original texture.
Most textures also have a specular map as well, which controls how shiny things are.

Lastly, hello there commander :)[/quote]

Hello :) I meant to reapply the original game files before applying a new texture- but as reading below that is not an issue.

Okay. I am going to update all the normal maps to match the HD Diff textures. I thought that I had done that, but then I read something about how Normal maps for ME3 are too bright or not bright enough. (I was tired when I was reading the article).

Thanks for the infos :)

PS- Sorry for the quote fails. >.<
Tarshana
User

Postby Tarshana » 15 Sep 2016, 02:55

What I have decided to do is completely vanilla my game and extract the textures myself and find the proper hashes for upload and testing later. Also, I did not save any backups so I made some really funny changes in game. I will have something workable by this weekend, I believe, as I finally have the proper tools I need. I had no idea about the UV8 direct x tools normal map workflow until today, so that will help....a lot. (see what I did Creeper?!)

Tarshana has been thanked by:
Tarshana
User

Return to Texture Discussion