Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Add New ME2 Emails / Messages

Basic questions on how to achieve certain modding goals with the toolset. Texture and mesh-related questions have their own subforum. Answers not guaranteed.

Add New ME2 Emails / Messages

Postby revolvingdoors » 18 Nov 2016, 03:47

I've been replaying ME2 again, which means inevitably getting back into the modding scene. After finishing the Horizon mission and returning to the Normandy, I was surprised that there was no message waiting in my terminal from the survivor (Kaidan or Ashley). Turns out it only happens if you romanced them in ME1 - makes sense, but I'm not content with that. ;)

I'm familiar with modding ME3, but ME2 is a bit of a challenge. I unpacked the .TLK, found where Ash / Kaidan's letter is, added in two platonic letters with unique string IDs that are gender neutral. My question: how do I make these emails trigger? In ME3, you can do this with the coalesced, but I don't think that will work here. (I tried to adapt using this tutorial, but no dice.)

TL:DR; how to make new ME2 emails trigger (especially based on the Virmire survivor and romance / no romance)

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!
revolvingdoors
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Add New ME2 Emails / Messages

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 18 Nov 2016, 04:50

Well, from a quick look, the email system in ME2 is a poorly implemented disaster that's going to be near-impossible to mod. If you open up BioD_Nor_103Messages.pcc in the SequenceEditor, you can see what I mean. The whole thing seems to be implemented in Kismet, with a separate sequence action to send, display, and mark as read every single e-mail in the game. Loooking at DLCs, the only way to extend it appears to be to completely override the file.

So, looks like you'll have to edit that file, as well as add some kind of state transition, which I don't think can be done in ME2 yet. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 18 Nov 2016, 22:07

Yes ME2's email system is a nightmare.

Strictly speaking you don't need a state transition given you can use a setint sequence action. However the big issue will be conditionals. You cannot add these so it would require a bunch of compare sequences to write even the simplest equivalent.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby Blad3Zer0 » 19 Nov 2016, 06:36

What happened to that mod that made the Arrival email only trigger after the Suicide Mission rather than after Horizon? I tried looking for it in the ME2 section of the Nexus, but it doesn't look like it's there anymore. If it were, you could've used that as a reference, since I know that one had to have edited/removed conditionals related to Horizon.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it *is* still there, under Gameplay Effects and Changes.
Blad3Zer0
User

Have thanks: 28 time

Postby revolvingdoors » 19 Nov 2016, 21:22

Thank you all for your responses! Definitely looks like some complex work, but at least now I have a starting point. :)
revolvingdoors
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Sil » 26 Nov 2016, 20:15

I'd always wondered why there hadn't been mods for ME2 that edited/added emails, now I know why. Shame really.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby giftfish » 27 Nov 2016, 17:45

Sil wrote:I'd always wondered why there hadn't been mods for ME2 that edited/added emails, now I know why. Shame really.

There are very few tools for ME2. Until very recently (the last 6 months or so) the few that existed didn't have full functionality.

-PackEd (recently upgraded with features)
-SeqEd (was only a viewer for a long time)
-DialogueEd (recently added for ME2)
-FaceFXEd (recently added for ME3 and ME2)
-TLKEd

I think that's all we have. There's a lot that can be done with these tools, but there's a lot of things missing. When tools/capabilities are missing, that means we have to resort to hex editing, which restricts modding to the modders who, A-already know hex, B-are willing to learn hex, and C-are able to decipher what's going on in the hex, so they can actually mod in the desired changes.

Makes things much tougher, time/labor prohibitive, borderline impossible.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Return to How do I...?