Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Adding new Meshes/Materials/Textures via Cloning

Dedicated area for texture and mesh-related tutorials. This includes modder's tutorials such as how to create your own TFC files. Do NOT post help requests in tutorials; use the relevant help board below.

Adding new Meshes/Materials/Textures via Cloning

Postby ashley66444 » 24 Feb 2014, 00:47

I recently made some changes me3explorer (Rev 615) that now make adding entirely new meshes, materials, and textures much easier. This does require some hex editing, but nothing that has not been covered before.

WARNING: This requires HEX EDITING If you do not feel comfortable with this, please do not attempt.

I would say I would help you if you have problems with this, but I tried to be as detailed as I could and I have a lot of other stuff on my plate. I will check back periodically, but if you don't know how to hex edit, or cannot follow the guide, I would not suggest doing this.

STEP1: Identifying where you want to add new stuff
Use the following .pcc files below for Armors/Clothing for shepard:
Male Armor: BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.pcc
Male Clothing: BIOG_HMM_ARM_CTH_R.pcc
Female Armor: BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.pcc
Female Clothing: BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.pcc

STEP2: Adding Names for your new stuff
An entirely new mesh (including it's own material and textures needs the following things)
- Class: to hold everything in
- Model: the mesh
- Material: determines which textures and parameters are used
- Diffuse Texture
- Normal Texture
- Specular Texture

Technically you can name these anything you want, but it's usually easier to stick to the naming conventions already in place by bioware.
Full Body Armor always follows an FBD prefix while clothing uses a CTH prefix. For instance if you were adding a new Armor you would want the following names.
FBDn
FBDn_MDL
FBDn_MAT
FBDn_Diff
FBDn_Norm
FBDn_Spec
Where i used the letter "n" to differentiate it from other armors.

0. BACKUP YOUR FILES!
1. Open PCC Editor 2.0
2. Open your .pcc file you want to edit by going to File -> Load
3. Click the Names Tab
4. Go to Edit -> Add Name
5. Enter the name and hit ok
6. Repeat step 4-5 for each of the names you need to add.
7. Go to File -> Save and overwrite your .pcc file
8. IMPORTANT: Go to File -> Load and open your .pcc file again. (if you do not reopen it, it will not have the names when you are cloning)
9. Go to Names and make sure you have all the names you added at the bottom of the list (if not repeat 4-5 until you do)

STEP3: Making(Cloning) the objects
For Adding data to the Names we just created, we need something to base it off of. In this case we are just going to clone existing armor and fix the links as we go. Certain armor and clothing works better than other for cloning. The best Armor I have found seems to be FBDd (Collector Armor) and the best clothing seems to be CTHj (the hoodie). You will need to pick a single armor to clone. In this example I am going to use CTHj as my source and CTHn as my new object. However you can technically use any of them (WARNING: Do not try to clone from FBDb or FBDa as those have lots of extra stuff associated with them, also a few of the other clothings that I haven't tested yet.)

1. Still in PCC Editor 2.0, go to Edit -> Clone Dialog 2
2. Click File -> Open .pcc and open your .pcc file again.
[Adding the Class]
3. We need to start with cloning the class. Under Select | Exports... scroll down until you find the item named exactly CTHj (or whichever you are cloning).
4. Go to the Name tab. If you scroll to the bottom you should see the names you added in STEP2. Select the one we will use for our class (CTHn)
5. Go to File -> Save and it should add your clone, save, and the re-open the .pcc file.
[Adding the Mesh]
6. Under Select | Exports... click on CTHj.HMF_ARM_CTHj_MDL (yours may say HMM_ARM_CTHj_MDL if you are doing male shep)
7. Name Tab -- Scroll to bottom. Select CTHn_MDL
8. Link | Exports -- Scroll to bottom. Select CTHn (This is our class that we will Link everything to, for remaining items we will set the link to CTHn which is why we needed to create it first)
9. File -> Save
[Adding the Material]
10. Select | Exports -- CTHj.HMF_ARM_CTHj_MAT_1a
11. Name -- Scroll to bottom. CTHn_MAT
12. Link | Exports -- Scroll to bottom. CTHn
13. File -> Save (make sure you save after each one)
[Adding the Diffuse]
14. Select | Exports -- CTHj.HMF_ARM_CTHj_DIF
15. Name -- Scroll to bottom. CTHn_Diff
16. Link | Exports -- Scroll to bottom. CTHn
17. File -> Save
[Adding the Normal]
18. Select | Exports -- CTHj.HMF_ARM_CTHj_NM
19. Name -- Scroll to bottom. CTHn_Norm
20. Link | Exports -- Scroll to bottom. CTHn
21. File -> Save
[Adding the Specular]
22. Select | Exports -- CTHj.HMF_ARM_CTHj_SPEC
23. Name -- Scroll to bottom. CTHn_Spec
24. Link | Exports -- Scroll to bottom. CTHn
25. File -> Save

STEP4: Fixing the Texture Associations
Great! We have everything in there with data, but it's not quite done yet. The Mesh is still pointing to the old material, and the Material is still using the original's textures.
Lets start with the material since we are already in pcc Editor 2.0

WARNING: This requires HEX EDITING

1. If you still have the Clone Dialog 2 open, close it as we are done Cloning.
2. In PCC Editor 2.0 Make sure you go to File -> Load and re-open your .pcc file. (DO NOT SAVE as you will loose the changes you just did in the clone dialog)
3. Scroll to the bottom of Exports and make sure you have your new Objects.
4. Jot down the numbers next to your Diffuse, Normal, and Specular.
5. Select your MAT object.

This guide by Largon walks you through how to change a material's texture references. I have striked through the parts that we have already done or not needed for this (as we are not replacing the material, just updating the references.

The method to replace the link to the texture in the material is the following.
1) Load the pcc file in pcceditor 2.0. Mark the material. You can find the correct number in meshexplorer by subtracting 1.
2) Click Interpret and then Start Scan
3) Search in the tree for the references to the texture maps and write down the numbers you find (for example 1023 for the spec map)
4) close the interpreter
5) Replace the material with the bin file of your new material
6) Click Interpret and Start Scan

7) Search again for the references in the texture maps. But we don't need the number but the address of the number. Here you can see an example:
The number is 1029. The address is best found by clicking the line directly below the number. On the right side you can see the hex code of the material. 1029 is 0405h which you can see directly above as 05 04 in little endian notation. So the address is 7F0h for the reference to the specular map. Write this down.
8) Do the same for the diffusive and for the normal map.
9) Close the interpreter and go to the hex editor.
10) You must now replace the texture references.
So if you want to replace the spec map you must replace 1029 with 1023 in our example. Go to the address you wrote down (7F0h). You will see here 05 04 again. Replace it with FF 03 (which is 1023). You may need to use a hex converter to determine which number to replace it with.
11) Do this for the diff an norm map, too
12) Click Edit->Save hex changes
13) Save your pcc map.

We are done with the Material!

STEP5: Updating the Mesh Material
Pretty straight forward here, but we just need to tell the mesh to use our new material.
1. Open Meshsplorer
2. Open your .pcc file and select your mesh at the bottom of the list
3. Under Materials on the right select the UV: #Material ID from the (ex: 0 : #1832)
4. In the upper left corner is a drop down for materials, select our new materials from the bottom of the drop down and click "Set as Material"

STEP 6: Adding the new armor or clothing to the game
1. Open up your Coalesced editor
2. Go to biogame.ini
3. For clothing find casualappearances and for armor find fullbodyappearances
4. Using the existing entries as a guide
5. Copy one of the existing entries and add an entry to the middle or end (make sure you leave off the comma if you are adding to the end)

For clothing it will look something like this:

{
"Type": 2,
"Value": "(Mesh=(Male=\"BIOG_HMM_ARM_CTH_R.CTHn.CTHn_MDL\",Female=\"BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.CTHn.CTHn_MDL\"),Id=10,PlotFlag=-1,Type=CustomizableType_Torso)"
}

For Armor the only difference is the inclusion of something like GameEffects=(\"SFXGameContent.SFXGameEffect_UniqueArmor_BloodDragon\") which determines which armor bonuses you get. (You do not need Name or Description here)

6. Where it says Mesh: the format is [Filename].[Class].[Model] incase you named your class or model different
7. Make sure you are giving it an ID not already in use (i used 10 here for clothing as it was the first one not being used.).
8. Make sure the PlotFlag is -1
9. Click Save Changes in upper left and then File -> Save your Coalesced.

STEP7: UPDATE TOC and *Sigh* Rebuild Your Database
1. Run TOC Updater.
2. Rebuild your database. This is the one regrettable part as this takes a while, but (as of now) is the only way to get Texplorer to recognize the new textures so you can replace them. Replacing the model can be done without rebuild, but to replace the textures you will need to Rebuild. as of Rev 615 you should no longer have to rebuild DB.
3. Update your new Model with some cool new .upk and replace your new textures.
4. If you got this far successfully, enjoy!

Again, if you have problems with this I will probably not be able to help much. I tried to be as detailed as I could and I have a lot of other stuff on my plate, so that stuff takes priority. I will check back periodically, but if you don't know how to hex edit, or cannot follow the guide, I would not suggest doing this. It is mostly the general concepts of Add the Names, Clone the Data, Fix the Links, Add to Coalesced, Rebuild and Mod away.

ashley66444
Modder

Have thanks: 31 time

Return to TexMesh Tutorials