Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Adding New Meshes/Materials/Textures w/o Replacing

Semi-technical area to discuss content modding research and discoveries. Technical information necessary for coding tools should be posted in Technical Research on the Coders board.

Adding New Meshes/Materials/Textures w/o Replacing

Postby ashley66444 » 20 Feb 2014, 15:20

My first post here, but I wanted to show what I was working on.

I just started modding Mass Effect 3 about a week ago and quickly ran into a problem: I didn't have enough meshes, materials, or textures to handle all the new armors and clothing I wanted to add for Shepard. Also, I quite liked some of the existing High Res Texture Mods and didn't want to replace everything (except for that hideous collector armor... ew)

So, for the past three days I've been trying to find a way to actually add completely new materials, textures, and meshes. Yesterday I hit a breakthrough and without further ado...

SUCCESS!!

We have now officially added new 6 new meshes, 6 new materials, and 18 new textures to the game!!!

Here is the zip file with instructions and the Femshep Armor .pcc file and coalesced:
drive.google.com/file/d/0B_jhVg__OIfSY3U0WHU0SlRPUms/edit

UPDATED 2014-02-21: Here is the Maleshep Armor .pcc file and coalesced:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_jhVg__OIfSM3EtLXlldVJkRUE/edit?usp=sharing

Special Notes: If you have already installed the female armors then you do not need to edit your Coalesced.bin as I already included the framework for male armors in the femshep file.

For the Femshep Armor: I went ahead and made the first two meshes the Cat-6 Armor with my modified green tinted material and the second mesh Liara's outfit with Collector's edition textures! Feel free to replace them or just use the extra ones. Don't forget to add the entries to your coalesced or modify them to have the power bonuses you want. If you want help with modifying power bonuses... just ask! :)

INSTRUCTIONS FILE:
Notes:

This is the base BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.pcc or BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.pcc file with:
- 6 Additional Meshes (FBDn_MDL, FBDo_MDL, FBDp_MDL, FBDq_MDL, FBDr_MDL, FBDs_MDL)
- 6 Additional Materials (FBDn_MAT, FBDo_MAT, ...)
- With 3 Textures Each for Diffuse, Normal, and Specular (FBDn_Diff, FBDn_Norm, FBDn_Spec, FBDo_Diff, ...)

Feel free to use this for any future modding of armors!

Included in this mod are two Femshep armors already in place.
FBDn = CAT-6 Armor with custom material (green tinted) provided by ELE (http://elemods.blogspot.nl/2013/07/modder-resource-upk-files-for.html)
FBDo = Liara's Default Outfit with Collector's Edition textures

Easy Instructions:

1. BACK. UP. YOUR. FILES!!!
2. Copy BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.pcc (or BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.pcc for Male Shep) into your CookedPCConsole folder overwriting your old file.
3. Copy the included Coalesced.bin into your CookedPCConsole folder overwriting your old file
3a. If you have already made changes to your coalesced.bin and dont want to loose them, the additions are small. See advanced below.
4. Run TOCbinUpdater
5. Rebuild your Database in Me3Explorer, otherwise you wont see the new textures.
6. Enjoy Modding the new Armors!

Advanced Instructions:

1. BACK. UP. YOUR. FILES!!!
2. Copy BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.pcc (or BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.pcc for Male Shep) into your CookedPCConsole folder overwriting your old file.
3. Using a Coalesced Editor add this to the file biogame.ini under fullbodyappearances
{
"Type": 2,
"Value": "(Mesh=(Male=\"BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.FBDn.HMM_ARM_FBDn_MDL\",Female=\"BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.FBDn.HMF_ARM_FBDn_MDL\"),GameEffects=(\"SFXGameContent.SFXGameEffect_UniqueArmor_BloodDragon\"),Id=16,PlotFlag=-1,Type=CustomizableType_Torso)"
},
{
"Value": "(Mesh=(Male=\"BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.FBDo.HMM_ARM_FBDo_MDL\",Female=\"BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.FBDo.HMF_ARM_FBDo_MDL\"),GameEffects=(\"SFXGameContent.SFXGameEffect_UniqueArmor_Reckoning\"),Id=17,PlotFlag=-1,Type=CustomizableType_Torso)"
},
{
"Value": "(Mesh=(Male=\"BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.FBDp.HMM_ARM_FBDp_MDL\",Female=\"BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.FBDp.HMF_ARM_FBDp_MDL\"),GameEffects=(\"SFXGameContent.SFXGameEffect_UniqueArmor_Terminus\"),Id=18,PlotFlag=-1,Type=CustomizableType_Torso)"
},
{
"Value": "(Mesh=(Male=\"BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.FBDq.HMM_ARM_FBDq_MDL\",Female=\"BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.FBDq.HMF_ARM_FBDq_MDL\"),GameEffects=(\"SFXGameContent.SFXGameEffect_UniqueArmor_Cerberus\"),Id=19,PlotFlag=-1,Type=CustomizableType_Torso)"
},
{
"Value": "(Mesh=(Male=\"BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.FBDr.HMM_ARM_FBDr_MDL\",Female=\"BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.FBDr.HMF_ARM_FBDr_MDL\"),GameEffects=(\"SFXGameContent.SFXGameEffect_UniqueArmor_BloodDragon\"),Id=20,PlotFlag=-1,Type=CustomizableType_Torso)"
},
{
"Value": "(Mesh=(Male=\"BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.FBDs.HMM_ARM_FBDs_MDL\",Female=\"BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R.FBDs.HMF_ARM_FBDs_MDL\"),GameEffects=(\"SFXGameContent.SFXGameEffect_UniqueArmor_Inferno\"),Id=21,PlotFlag=-1,Type=CustomizableType_Torso)"
}

4. Run TOCbinUpdater
5. Rebuild your Database in Me3Explorer, otherwise you wont see the new textures.
6. Enjoy Modding the new Armors!

Future Plans:
I will be hopefully generating 6 new meshes, materials, and corresponding textures for male shep tonight and thenmoving on to do the same for the clothing .pcc files. After I have some easily installed .pcc files, I will try to write up the method in which I do this (warning: heavy hex editing)

*EDIT: I found out who created the Cat-6 Armor. Thanks ELE! :)
Last edited by ashley66444 on 21 Feb 2014, 16:57, edited 2 times in total.

ashley66444
Modder

Have thanks: 31 time

Re: Adding New Meshes/Materials/Textures w/o Replacing

Postby Ottemis » 20 Feb 2014, 16:41

Great effort Ash, I would love if we could find a way to make the cloning and addition of new entries an easier process through the toolset guys, is there any way we might be able to use Ash's research here and implement something?
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby AVPen » 20 Feb 2014, 20:37

Very cool news indeed - I'll be keeping an eye on this research for sure.
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby giftfish » 20 Feb 2014, 21:28

AVPen wrote:Very cool news indeed - I'll be keeping an eye on this research for sure.

My guess, AVPen, is that ashley did this by using the newest cloning tool in PCC Editor 2, cloning a present object and then replacing the contents. Depending on the exact object cloned, then other changes might need to be made. This was something we were in the process of doing for Paramour for ThaneMOD, and something I had been working on when trying to get new audio in for new lines of dialogue, before running into a wall with the wwise banks issue. I think I mentioned both of these to you in a previous PM...maybe, lol. I know we talked about quite a few things :)

Is this correct, ashley? Did you do this via cloning?
giftfish

Postby ashley66444 » 20 Feb 2014, 21:45

Part of this was done via cloning, however with meshes and materials there is a lot more to it that i just hexedited in. Also naming and setting up the heirarchy was a pain. However I think using the cloning tool can make it a lot easier. I'm working on the male version of armor tonight and will try to do it with as little hex editing as possible. However, I tried using the cloning tool of pcced2, but it didn't seem to work properly, so I was using the clone tool of pcced1 when i did use it.
ashley66444
Modder

Postby giftfish » 20 Feb 2014, 21:59

ashley66444 wrote:Part of this was done via cloning, however with meshes and materials there is a lot more to it that i just hexedited in. Also naming and setting up the heirarchy was a pain. However I think using the cloning tool can make it a lot easier. I'm working on the male version of armor tonight and will try to do it with as little hex editing as possible. However, I tried using the cloning tool of pcced2, but it didn't seem to work properly, so I was using the clone tool of pcced1 when i did use it.

I know WV has done a lot of work on the cloning tool. My impression (which could be wrong) is that the one in PCC Editor is outdated. Also, depending on which version of ME3Exp you were using, WV's changes to the PCC Editor 2 cloning tool back in December (or November?) rectified a lot of issues. I know Emerald ended up using it a lot to clone camera objects, and if I remember correctly, she said it was working perfectly, copying objects from one pcc to another.

But, I know ziltch about mesh-modding, so none of what I just said may be helpful, lol!
giftfish

Postby AVPen » 20 Feb 2014, 22:16

giftfish wrote:
AVPen wrote:Very cool news indeed - I'll be keeping an eye on this research for sure.

My guess, AVPen, is that ashley did this by using the newest cloning tool in PCC Editor 2, cloning a present object and then replacing the contents. Depending on the exact object cloned, then other changes might need to be made. This was something we were in the process of doing for Paramour for ThaneMOD, and something I had been working on when trying to get new audio in for new lines of dialogue, before running into a wall with the wwise banks issue. I think I mentioned both of these to you in a previous PM...maybe, lol. I know we talked about quite a few things :)

You mentioned the Thane Paramour attempt and running into a brickwall with the wwise banks, but you hadn't mentioned the new cloning tool for PCC Editor 2.
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby ashley66444 » 21 Feb 2014, 03:20

Just to keep you updated. The new armor slots for male shep are coming tomorrow. Testing them now, but (go figure) bioware cant keep things consistent and I had to change things as I went.

However, good news! With a new way to do this, all of the tools to do this are present in me3explorer, with only some minor changes via hex editing to the material to update the textures.
ashley66444
Modder

Postby giftfish » 21 Feb 2014, 16:49

ashley66444 wrote:However, good news! With a new way to do this, all of the tools to do this are present in me3explorer, with only some minor changes via hex editing to the material to update the textures.

Good to know :]
giftfish

Postby ashley66444 » 21 Feb 2014, 16:59

Updated with Maleshep 6 additional armor meshes/materials/textures. See above. Please note, if you already updated your Coalesced.bin to use the femshep armors, you do not need to do so for Maleshep as I went ahead and included the groundwork for them originally.

ashley66444 has been thanked by:
ashley66444
Modder

Next

Return to Modders' Research