Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Additional Tools

Non-toolset utilities for the ME Trilogy developed by community coders. Note: Restricted to coder- or modder-oriented tools. User-oriented tools belong where they can be adequately supported (e.g., Nexusmods).

Re: Additional Tools

Postby giftfish » 23 Jul 2015, 21:08

DownTheDrain wrote:So yeah, I guess it's my own fault for bothering to try without modding experience, or maybe it's the wikia's, for advertising a program that has zero documentation anywhere, but I'm rather annoyed right now.

Apparently you missed the very large "Do Not Enter" sign at the top of TankMaster's Tool page on the wiki that clearly states the article is under construction and should not be used for reference.

TankMaster's Tools are awesome, but are in beta, which is part of the reason why documentation is lacking. Note also that his tool article is located under Developer's Resources and not User Tools (you are a user). If you need a user-friendly coalesced editor, use Wenchy for now.
giftfish

Postby DownTheDrain » 23 Jul 2015, 21:16

giftfish wrote:
DownTheDrain wrote:So yeah, I guess it's my own fault for bothering to try without modding experience, or maybe it's the wikia's, for advertising a program that has zero documentation anywhere, but I'm rather annoyed right now.

Apparently you missed the very large "Do Not Enter" sign at the top of TankMaster's Tool page on the wiki that clearly states the article is under construction and should not be used for reference.

I'm afraid you are mistaken.

I came here from the ME3 wikia (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki), not the me3explorer wikia (which I only discovered afterwards, while searching for the slightest bit of useful documentation).
There is no warning whatsoever on the regular wikia, otherwise I'd have stayed clear.
DownTheDrain
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby FemShep » 23 Jul 2015, 21:58

Or you could have read the directions and specified the coalesced.XML file. We aren't responsible for your inability to read directions.

This is not gibbeds tool anymore so I don't know why you would expect it to behave the same. You also never once bothered to ask for help.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby giftfish » 23 Jul 2015, 21:59

DownTheDrain wrote:I'm afraid you are mistaken.

I came here from the ME3 wikia (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki), not the me3explorer wikia (which I only discovered afterwards, while searching for the slightest bit of useful documentation).
There is no warning whatsoever on the regular wikia, otherwise I'd have stayed clear.

Amazing that when you mention "the wiki" I assume that you actually mean the ME3Explorer wiki, since you are on the ME3Explorer forums. Lol.

ME3Explorer is not associated with Mass Effect Wikia in any way.

So, if someone has placed links to TankMaster's Tools on that wiki w/o explaining that they are under active development (in beta) and shouldn't be used by the average user (due to lack of documentation and possible bugs), then I'd suggest you go take your frustrations out on them :D
giftfish

Postby FemShep » 23 Jul 2015, 22:03

giftfish wrote:
DownTheDrain wrote:I'm afraid you are mistaken.

Amazing that when you mention "the wiki" I assume that you actually mean the ME3Explorer wiki, since you are on the ME3Explorer forums. Lol.

ME3Explorer is not associated with Mass Effect Wikia in any way.

So, if someone has placed links to TankMaster's Tools on that wiki w/o explaining that they are under active development (in beta) and shouldn't be used by the average user (due to lack of documentation and possible bugs), then I'd suggest you go take your frustrations out on them :D

I'm pretty sure I put it in the wiki :D

That said, you need to update the --help on your programs tankmaster, they aren't up to date.

The ME3 wiki is much, much easier to find than the ME3Explorer one. So much in fact I couldn't tell you how to get there outside of the links in the forum threads.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby giftfish » 23 Jul 2015, 22:22

FemShep wrote:The ME3 wiki is much, much easier to find than the ME3Explorer one. So much in fact I couldn't tell you how to get there outside of the links in the forum threads.

Google "ME3Explorer" and the new wiki is the 4th result on the first page. It's preceded by SF, the old Wiki, and Otte's Setup Guide.

Once the new wiki starts getting more page hits -- and I only put up the Announcement last week to start publicizing it -- then it'll shift to 2nd place under the SF.

Uh...sorry for the thread hijack, TankMaster!
giftfish

Postby DownTheDrain » 23 Jul 2015, 22:35

Thx for the replies, I guess, although those weren't exactly what I was hoping for.
Is it too late to worship the very ground you guys walk on to get some actual help instead of snide remarks?
I'm kidding, sort of, and will do my best to stay civil while addressing your points.

This is not gibbeds tool anymore so I don't know why you would expect it to behave the same.

Because the ME3 wikia claimed that Taskmaster's tool "creates XML documents rather than JSON, but otherwise they are identical".
Now I realize you're not responsible for the lack of accuracy on their part, but neither am I, so maybe, just maybe, you can understand that I expected it to work the same if the damn wikia tells me it will.

That's a fair point, although I doubt I'll bother with creating yet another throw-away account just to vent again.
I never expected them to link here without permission and that's entirely my mistake.

The ME3 wiki is much, much easier to find than the ME3Explorer one.

Exactly.
Hopefully that helps to explain why I followed their link instead of consulting the apparently much more accurate me3explorer wikia that I had never heard about until today.

Be that as it may, I'll go back to using Gibbed's tool now since Wenchy's is a bit of a pain to use when editing war assets.
My deepest apologies for interrupting your illustrious circle.
DownTheDrain
User

Postby FemShep » 23 Jul 2015, 22:59

Your passive aggressive remarks are not appreciated.
Enjoy the lack of Type 3 and 4's in Gibbed's tool.

Next time you want to ask for help lets not try to be a **** about it.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby giftfish » 23 Jul 2015, 23:07

DownTheDrain wrote:Thx for the replies, I guess, although those weren't exactly what I was hoping for.
Is it too late to worship the very ground you guys walk on to get some actual help instead of snide remarks?
<snip>
My deepest apologies for interrupting your illustrious circle.

Until a couple years ago I was user and not a mod creator. I understand frustration, and I'm often the "user advocate" around these forums. I've written every User Tool, User Resource, and General Information article on the new wiki.

But, when you jump onto a forum to "vent" your frustration at a developer or mod creator, you're going to be responded to in kind. Nobody here is your punching bag; you have no right to vent here. You haven't yet asked for help and you haven't apologized for your attitude. Nobody here is obligated to help you, nor is TankMaster obligated to provide instructions on how to use his tools. However, if you ask him politely rather than telling him his tools just "wasted your time" I'm sure he'd be happy to help; he's quite a nice guy.

As far as your ignorance of the new ME3Exp wiki, that's no fault of your own. It's new; I just made the announcement post last week. And, considering TankMaster's tools aren't a part of the toolset, I wouldn't even have expected you to look for them on the ME3Exp wiki. I only mentioned it b/c I assumed it was the wiki you were talking about.
giftfish

Postby DownTheDrain » 23 Jul 2015, 23:14

[quote="FemShep"]Your passive aggressive remarks are not appreciated.
Enjoy the lack of Type 3 and 4's in Gibbed's tool.

Next time you want to ask for help lets not try to be a **** about it.

That's cute considering my initial post was somewhat frustrated but polite and you, in particular, started with an openly rude reply.

How about the next time a confused noob ventures in here you try something like:
"Listen man, we're not responsible for whatever wiki you got your wrong information from, but all you have to do is copy all the xml files from the coalesced folder into the main folder, drag the coalesced.xml on the tool and you're set."
To which my reply would have been:
"Really? Well that's easy then. I wish there was a readme to tell me that but thanks for the help and sorry for venting."

That might have been a tad more constructive for everyone involved than a throw-away comment about my "inability to read directions" (which directions btw?), don't you think?

Anyway, I'm done here, feel free to insult me a bit more, or ban me outright, or whatever else you usually do to an unruly pleb.
DownTheDrain
User

PreviousNext

Return to Third-Party Utilities