Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Alpha Protocol

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Alpha Protocol

Postby sansuni » 01 Jan 2017, 18:56

Hey there everyone. I know I haven't been around for a while, but I hope this topic will find you all well.

I had some free time a while ago, and thought about which games I could play, I remembered a game I played a long while ago, called Alpha Protocol (it was one of my favorite games back in the day, shame it never received the attention it deserved) so I installed it (but sadly I didn't have time to play it) but recently I had some time to play it as well and realized it had the same engine with Mass Effect. I knew it wouldn't work with ME3Explorer, but I had to try it, hoped maybe some of the tools would be compatible. But of course it didn't work. I had hoped at least some of the tools in our arsenal would be able to work on it, but none seems to work. I had some luck with "Umodel", I was able to see the meshes, I even discovered some of the cut content, but that's about it.

So anyway, this isn't a request but my questions is could ME3Explorer made to work on Alpha Protocol? (to give the game some of the modding love it deserves? at least some texture and mesh editing we have with ME3?)

I am not sure if any of you played it before, or if any of you liked it. But I really liked this game. (As it had a nice enough story with choices that actually mattered. And if you think about it, same people who gave a bad review to this game gave amazing reviews to games like ME3, DA2 and DAI, as if those games never had any problems and had incredible writing... ugh..)
sansuni
Modder

Have thanks: 7 time

Re: Alpha Protocol

Postby giftfish » 02 Jan 2017, 15:27

Hi sansuni :)

The answer to your question is definitely not. I'm saying this without consulting K or Sir, but I'm certain their answer would be the same.

All 3 Mass Effect games are built on Unreal 3, but BW has their own tweaks to this engine. File structure in all 3 ME games is different, which is why 3 versions of certain tools were made -- so they would work with each game. Now, we roll that functionality into one tool, but it's complicated to do.

Either way, ME3Explorer is about Mass Effect. We barely have time to support the trilogy as it is, so bringing another, unrelated game into the mix for our group is out of the question. What is possible, however, is for anyone to fork the toolset on GitHub. From there, if they can use the code to build an editor to support the game you're talking about, then that would be a good way to go. Another option is investigating if UDK is actually compatible with the game. It's not likely, but it's possible.

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby sansuni » 02 Jan 2017, 19:53

giftfish wrote:Hi sansuni :)

The answer to your question is definitely not. I'm saying this without consulting K or Sir, but I'm certain their answer would be the same.

All 3 Mass Effect games are built on Unreal 3, but BW has their own tweaks to this engine. File structure in all 3 ME games is different, which is why 3 versions of certain tools were made -- so they would work with each game. Now, we roll that functionality into one tool, but it's complicated to do.

Either way, ME3Explorer is about Mass Effect. We barely have time to support the trilogy as it is, so bringing another, unrelated game into the mix for our group is out of the question. What is possible, however, is for anyone to fork the toolset on GitHub. From there, if they can use the code to build an editor to support the game you're talking about, then that would be a good way to go. Another option is investigating if UDK is actually compatible with the game. It's not likely, but it's possible.

I understand as I guesses as much. Like I said, this wasn't a request, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention.

I already tried and UDK is not compatible with this game. They have already figured out the file structure at least to some extent, thus I am able to use "Umodel" to view and extract meshes and textures, but thats all that little tool is designed to do. (being able to replace meshes and textures would go a long way with this game)

I would have take a crack at it, but I kind of suck at coding. (It look take me longer than I care to admit is all I am saying.. No no, a lot longer)

Oh well, thank you for answering my question. :)

sansuni has been thanked by:
sansuni
Modder

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 04 Jan 2017, 21:34

I loved Alpha Protocol! I''ve never tried to mod that, but months ago I successfully jury-rigged ME3Explorer to open files from Remember Me, but I lost interest after I couldn't figure out the toc format. As giftfish said, I won't be doing it as there's enough work I'm not doing already, but anyone interested in modding other UE3 games could definitely use ME3Explorer as a starting point.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 04 Jan 2017, 22:16

That's very cool, Sir :D
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby sansuni » 05 Jan 2017, 12:28

SirCxyrtyx wrote:I loved Alpha Protocol! I''ve never tried to mod that, but months ago I successfully jury-rigged ME3Explorer to open files from Remember Me, but I lost interest after I couldn't figure out the toc format. As giftfish said, I won't be doing it as there's enough work I'm not doing already, but anyone interested in modding other UE3 games could definitely use ME3Explorer as a starting point.

That's a shame. I loved Alpha Protocol as well, until recently I had completely forgotten I had the game. Alpha Protocol has so much potential for modding. Not to mention some parts of it is in dire need of modding (there are lots of bugs that could be fixed and lots of cut content that could be restored and I mean lots of it.), I always hated how Mina Tang looked for example. Another example would be the weapon mods, all mods use different files, but all of those files contain exact the same mesh. By simply replacing the mesh, you could revamp the whole weapon modding system.

That's why I tried to mod it, I can view models using the tool I mentioned above, but that's about all that tool can do. I was also able to extract the audio files using the same tool, there are lots and lots of cut content. The one that stands out the most is a character called Uli Booli:

From what I can gather, in the original storyline, she was supposed to be your handler in the entire game and Mina was just supposed to be a side character, you would have met her in either Rome or Moscow as a date. (or maybe as a date/operation, since she has nightdress that would match Thorton's tuxedo that he wears at "Identify Jibril Al-Bara at Chateau" mission, maybe they were supposed to infiltrate that party together.) There are many other examples like that, such as an alternative method of meeting Madison, including a way to save her under very specific circumstances. (with Veteran perk perhaps?)

What you are saying is true and I guessed as much, I would have jury-rigged ME3Explorer to open files from Alpha Protocol myself, but I truly suck at coding and I doubt anyone else would bother either. And like I've said, it is a shame since there are not many other games that does what this game does and even less that does it as well as this game. (it is just riddled with some problems and I find it annoying people can't see beyond that.) It wasn't meant to be I guess.
sansuni
Modder

Return to Off Topic