Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Ashley makeover mod questions

Area for discussions related to meshes/models, 3D modeling programs, and the like. Can cross over into texture-related discussion. As with other non-toolset related areas, answers not guaranteed.

Where are the powers for each squad member placed?

Postby Praedor » 17 Nov 2015, 17:12

I'd like to alter the powers available for squad members. In particular I want to change Ashley's broken/buggy Marksman power to something else like Overload or Fortification. It is possible to do this in the console but it only lasts until you start the game again. Altering it in a game file or in coalesced would make it permanent but I need to find where they are set first.

Anyone have any idea where powers are set for the characters?
Praedor
User

Have thanks: 56 time

Re: Where are the powers for each squad member placed?

Postby CreeperLava » 17 Nov 2015, 17:35

This might interest you : post15770.html?#p15770

CreeperLava has been thanked by:
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby AVPen » 17 Nov 2015, 17:41

Praedor wrote:I'd like to alter the powers available for squad members. In particular I want to change Ashley's broken/buggy Marksman power to something else like Overload or Fortification. It is possible to do this in the console but it only lasts until you start the game again. Altering it in a game file or in coalesced would make it permanent but I need to find where they are set first.

The short answer is that a squad member's powers data is contained in their character kit PCC files (like BioH_Ashley_00.pcc, etc), but altering/changing that so a squadmate has a different power in place of other is a uberbitch to do - it would literally require altering and editing all of that power's data entries within that character's pcc file, followed by adding/cloning new entries for the power that you want to add to the character (and to do all of that and make such each entry works correctly and with each other in order for the power to function correctly would take an INSANELY-STUPID amount of time to do, may even be outright impossible...)

Now if you just want Ashley's Marksman power to work correctly, I did make an "Ashley Marksman bugfix" as a DLC-mod which works with all existing content for Ashley (including various DLC versions of her): http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/ashley-marksman-fix-dlc-mod-t1825.html

EDIT: Also there is no entries in the game's Coalesced that pertains to a squadmate's power list (believe me, I've looked everywhere in it...)

EDIT 2nd: And Creeper beat me to my own link.... lol

AVPen has been thanked by:
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby Praedor » 17 Nov 2015, 17:49

Ah, yes I saw that and tried it but must have done something wrong because it didn't "take". I may try again or I'd actually still prefer to change her Marksman power to something more useful for an NPC. The fact is that the squadmates just aren't aggressive enough for Marksman to make much sense. When you as Shepard use it you can use it properly and just open up on someone but that isn't what the NPCs tend to do. I'd like to do a bit less direct choreography (selecting a target and directing a squadmate to target that enemy) and have the squadmates take a more aggressive/active role in the fighting.

Which brings up another thing...I'd love to increase the aggressiveness of the squadmates so they aren't just firing once every 3-5 seconds or so. I'd like to make them more like active squadmates who do more shooting...perhaps bring them up to the point they're shooting maybe once for every 2 or 3 shots I take (roughly). Anyone have any ideas where THAT is set in the files? It must be universal so that each character pcc doesn't carry a repetitive and redundant entry.
Praedor
User

Postby FemShep » 17 Nov 2015, 20:38

Does anyone know why coalesced lists powers for kits? Did they use to work like that in ME2?
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby Praedor » 18 Nov 2015, 14:24

AVPen wrote:
Praedor wrote:I'd like to alter the powers available for squad members. In particular I want to change Ashley's broken/buggy Marksman power to something else like Overload or Fortification. It is possible to do this in the console but it only lasts until you start the game again. Altering it in a game file or in coalesced would make it permanent but I need to find where they are set first.

The short answer is that a squad member's powers data is contained in their character kit PCC files (like BioH_Ashley_00.pcc, etc), but altering/changing that so a squadmate has a different power in place of other is a uberbitch to do - it would literally require altering and editing all of that power's data entries within that character's pcc file, followed by adding/cloning new entries for the power that you want to add to the character (and to do all of that and make such each entry works correctly and with each other in order for the power to function correctly would take an INSANELY-STUPID amount of time to do, may even be outright impossible...)

Now if you just want Ashley's Marksman power to work correctly, I did make an "Ashley Marksman bugfix" as a DLC-mod which works with all existing content for Ashley (including various DLC versions of her): http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/ashley-marksman-fix-dlc-mod-t1825.html

EDIT: Also there is no entries in the game's Coalesced that pertains to a squadmate's power list (believe me, I've looked everywhere in it...)

EDIT 2nd: And Creeper beat me to my own link.... lol

Wow, what a crazy inefficient way for the devs of the game to handle the powers. Each character can have upwards of 6 or so separate pcc files just for them so they opted to duplicate the same information/data in all the pccs instead of keeping it all in a single central location (like Coalesced).

I've downloaded and installed the DLC for the marksman fix (had to mod the pccs to include my Ash mesh mods too). Much nicer to not have her powering up again and again while dancing a tiny jig.
Praedor
User

Postby FemShep » 18 Nov 2015, 16:35

It is an optimization technique. all data required is in one file when loading something. It also makes tons of extra data. They explain why in the udk docs. It's a console thing.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby Praedor » 19 Nov 2015, 23:37

FemShep wrote:It is an optimization technique. all data required is in one file when loading something. It also makes tons of extra data. They explain why in the udk docs. It's a console thing.

Ah. The bane of gamer existence, the console. Limiting the size, scope, and depth of all multi-platform games.
Praedor
User

Re: AVPen Tutorial: Adding custom textures to a DLC-mod

Postby Praedor » 21 Nov 2015, 16:28

Running into an issue. I've got a potential DLC skeleton all setup to go (all the pcc files, a Default.sfar, Mount.dlc, etc) but when I do the Texplorer thing, it unpacks all my DLC until it gets to MY DLC (it has a pcconsoletoc.bin file too) it immediately says it's done unpacking it without actually doing anything and then the system just hangs forever. No error messages so I have no idea what the problem is.

Here's the debug window taken up just after it has completed with DLC_EXP_Pack003_Base, then starts on my potential DLC:

11:23:17 AM: Updating FileTable...
11:23:17 AM: Rebuilding Header...
11:23:17 AM: Done.
11:23:17 AM: Updating DLC's PCConsoleTOC.bin
11:23:17 AM: DLC Done.
11:23:17 AM: Extracting DLC with gamebase : I:\MassEffect3-backup
11:23:17 AM: DLC name : I:\MassEffect3-backup\BIOGame\DLC\DLC_CON_Geto01
11:23:17 AM: Updating DLC's PCConsoleTOC.bin
11:23:18 AM: DLC Done.
11:23:18 AM: All DLCs Done.
11:23:18 AM: Starting FTS Window with parameters: Game: 3 DLCPath: I:\ME3-Backup\BIOGame\DLC Cooked: I:\ME3-Backup\BIOGame\CookedPCConsole

It HAS to be something with my DLC because without it there it proceeds as normal. I cannot generate a customtexture.tfc because Texplorer wont proceed after this point. Any ideas what is going on? What would cause this perma-pause (but no messages)? If I bring up the task manager it shows ME3Explorer using 0 (zero) CPU at this point.
Praedor
User

Re: AVPen Tutorial: Adding custom textures to a DLC-mod

Postby CreeperLava » 21 Nov 2015, 16:41

Sadly, this is a W10 issue with the GUI : https://github.com/ME3Explorer/ME3Explorer/issues/74
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

PreviousNext

Return to Mesh and Model Discussion