Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Ashley makeover mod questions

Area for discussions related to meshes/models, 3D modeling programs, and the like. Can cross over into texture-related discussion. As with other non-toolset related areas, answers not guaranteed.

Ashley makeover mod questions

Postby Praedor » 10 Jul 2013, 23:02

I've run into issues with swapping meshes in one particular pcc file. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else runs into the issue or is able to work out what the issue actually is. I have been working with BioH_Ashley_00_NC.pcc. This pcc file deals with the very first intro of Ashley in ME3 at the beginning on earth, just before Shepard talks to the council. I've edited Ashley's default uniform and have managed to make it work...once. Since then I've also tried swapping it out with two different generic female alliance military models. I've edited two to fit Ashley properly (her head mesh, the cleavage portion, pokes through if you use the uniforms as-is) and in each case the right arm, from shoulder to elbow only, goes bonkers. Clearly some kind of weighting issue. I've also tried the unedited meshes passed only through UDK. Same issue.

Another issue...if I try and import the upk of her head (I presume this will happen with anyone's head) the textures are hopelessly mismapped. Her head gets mapped onto each eyeball, the scalp gets mapped all over the face. In all cases the models looked PERFECT in UDK or, when applicable, in either Blender or 3ds Max.

Can anyone get ANY body other than the default to work here? What about the head with proper texture mapping?
Praedor
User

Have thanks: 56 time

Re: Problems with some mesh swaps

Postby Praedor » 10 Jul 2013, 23:04

Ignore the texture issue with her uniform...I was only testing the mesh and didn't do anything to get the correct texture applied.
Praedor
User

Postby WarrantyVoider » 10 Jul 2013, 23:30

ok, here an antiproof, its hard to tell, but this is ashley exported as psk, imported into udk and then back to pcc. no changes on the way and it works. you can see the change in tocbinupdater, I also attached my edited pcc, so dunno what went wrong on your side

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Postby Praedor » 11 Jul 2013, 01:08

I have managed to get ONE Ashley edit to work in that pcc. I edited her default uniform in various ways in Blender and imported the upk. It worked. Other uniforms haven't worked (any alliance uniform that I've tried so far) and one Ashley edit that also failed DRASTICALLY was the same default uniform but with those shoulder things removed. That's all I did was delete the shoulder things and imported that upk. The resulting mesh in the game was unrecognizable as anything - it was a weird blue shape and that was it.
Praedor
User

Postby Praedor » 11 Jul 2013, 01:10

Oh...just exporting her head psk and re-importing her head as a upk also failed for me - the image above results: the shape and animation is fine but the textures get grossly mis-mapped for some reason.
Praedor
User

Postby Ottemis » 11 Jul 2013, 04:32

Did you revert the PCC to vanilla between replacing the meshes? Maybe try that otherwise, if you say it worked the first time.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby Praedor » 11 Jul 2013, 14:21

OK...It isn't just me or my system. It appears that there is at least ONE pcc that cannot accept alterations or exchanges of character meshes. BioH_Ashley_00_NC.pcc will not permit any change to Ashley's character mesh. I have tried two different Alliance uniforms and a FemShep armor. ALL of them produce a weighting artifact on the upper right arm. That is the only issue but at the moment it is a showstopper. The head import issue existed with psk imports too. Somehow the texture mapping/UVWs get screwed up with the head import. These issues MAY just be a glitch native to this one pcc, or we may find that just some pcc files will not permit any changes. It would be useful for modders to keep track of any pcc files, or types of mesh mods, that are not possible so we know the limits.

Maybe I just stumbled on one pcc that doesn't like character mesh changes. As for the head and texture mapping issue, that is broader. I got that result previously with psk imports no matter what pcc I worked with. There are at least 4 UV maps associated with Ashley's head. I assume other characters will be similarly organized and will be problematic for re-import. This appears Bioware/ME specific as UDK doesn't seem to have any issues.

Just for something to do, I'm going to look at the weights associated with Ashley default uniform vs the two alliance uniforms to see if there is anything obviously different. A straight Ashley default uniform re-import (via UDK) doesn't have the problem.
Praedor
User

Postby Praedor » 11 Jul 2013, 17:06

I took a look at the weights on psk exports of both Ashley's default uniform and a general Alliance uniform. No difference. There is a huge difference only once passing any psk through Blender - the weights are wrong. I've just finished re-weighting all the bones using the original psk exported from the game as a model and will try it out.

Alternatively, I will now take a look at weights of upk files generated from these psk files to see if there's anything clearly different about them.
Praedor
User

Postby Praedor » 16 Jul 2013, 22:42

A new one. I have been importing Tali mesh edits into the game and they go fine except for a couple pcc files. The first one doesn't work at all: BioH_Tali_00_Explore.pcc. If I import a replacement (edited) mesh into this pcc file, the upk import goes OK but if you then try to view the mesh in Meshplorer, nothing appears. In fact, if I take a look at the object below the Tali mesh model (Warp Blast) in the list in Meshplorer, I SOMETIMES see this (not sure what triggers it):

I just reloaded that pcc file and took a look again and, as always, the QRN_ARM_TLIa_MDL (Tali's default uniform mesh) does not appear since importing the upk and the Warp Blast object below appears normal. Next time I may see the above picture again.
Praedor
User

Postby Praedor » 16 Jul 2013, 22:45

The second issue with Tali involves her alternate uniform and BioH_Tali_01_Explore.pcc. In this case the mesh imports OK as before and when I view it in Meshplorer afterward I get a delay, then the message "Not Implemented!" pops up, then I sometimes get the imported mesh appearing. I don't know if this also causes a game crash as I'm not sure when that pcc is used.
Praedor
User

Next

Return to Mesh and Model Discussion