Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Ashley texture and mesh modifications

Area for discussions related to meshes/models, 3D modeling programs, and the like. Can cross over into texture-related discussion. As with other non-toolset related areas, answers not guaranteed.

Ashley texture and mesh modifications

Postby realsurvivor686 » 25 Jul 2013, 12:02

Hello All,

I've been trying to mod Ashley's Collector's Edition armour such that she now sports the Ajax Armour instead. I followed WV's and saltisgood's tutorials for changing out meshes and textures to the letter. The game and DLC loaded fine.

However:
1. Ashley's model seems to change from the Ajax armour to something else (an artifiact of her Pink catsuit i believe, overlaid with Ajax textures), depending on how close I get to her.

2. Cutscenes, sometimes her forearms are missing or her plates starts to lag behind arm motions.

Possible Reasons:
1. I suspect that player meshes only have on LOD ("LOD0" I believe), due the fact that they're right close to the camera. NPCs on the other hand have at least three ("LOD0, LOD1 and LOD2")

Solution?
- Import the N7 combat engineer mesh with all its different LODs and then use it for Ashley.
- However there is one problem. The Mesh with the Ajax armour comes with its helmet attached. All I need is to simply chop its helmet off. However Blender won't import UDKs or PDKs.
- Is there any other program out there that'll allow me to chop off the helmet. I have UDK on my computer, but will that do the trick?
realsurvivor686
User

Have thanks: 30 time

Re: LODs and NPC Models

Postby realsurvivor686 » 25 Jul 2013, 13:32

So I have fixed the plates lagging and her armour changing depending on how close I am.

The blank forearm is an issue, but all the parts move in unision. Will try with a different texture and see if that is the problem.
realsurvivor686
User

Re: LODs and NPC Models

Postby realsurvivor686 » 25 Jul 2013, 18:42

Nope tried a different texture. Still no luck.
realsurvivor686
User

ReplacingAshley's pink catsuit with Ajax armour.

Postby realsurvivor686 » 26 Jul 2013, 04:25

First off her is a picture of the infamous pink suit. Its from the Collector's edition of the game (seems to to be the least used)

Now here is the outfit I'm trying to replace it with (image belongs to ELE08 of Bioware forums)

With smarteck of BSN's dark AJAX armour
Stage 1:
Import Mesh:
- Followed WV's steps for importing mesh into UDK and then placing it into ME3 explorer.
- Had LOD issue (player meshes only have one level of LOD, whilst NPCs have at least three levels of LOD)
- Fixed LOD issue by importing udk for every single level of LOD. Did not edit mesh in UDK, just straight up imported

Import Textures:
- Followed saltisgood's tutorial for importing textures from TPF files. Resolution is at 2048x2048 and MIP levels are at 12(1x1) for norm, diff and spec.

Outcome:
- Ashley's right arm is transparent except for the plates. Bodysuit doesn't seem to conform to mesh and just hangs off the side
- Here are some images:

1. As you can see the right arm is the problem. Its blank except for the plates with the underlying bodysuit just hanging off

2. Neck and arm issues in this screenshot

3. Gameplay issues. None, but the weird glitch still remains

4. AAAHHHH!. Kill it! Kill it with Fire!

Possible explanation:
Suspect that some of the textures are not aligning with Mesh. Materials are just not matching. Odd considering that these textures were written for a player mesh and am importing a player mesh into a NPC PCC.

Possible solutions:
- Import N7 Combat engineer mesh instead. Has multiple LODs which could solve problem. Might have to chop of the attached helmet from the multiplayer model. Am not expert with 3DS. Might have to learn it

- Manually compare materials index between original Ajax Mesh and the one imported into Ashley's PCC. Cursory examination has revealed no discrepancies between them. Will examine again

- Texture import has gone bad. Have tried different community made textures with no change in outcome. Will try vanilla game textures to see if change happens.

- Might have to open mesh in 3DS max and overlay with materials/texture.

Any advice? And I sincerely apologize if I seem to intrude on this thread.
realsurvivor686
User

Re: ReplacingAshley's pink catsuit with Ajax armour.

Postby WarrantyVoider » 26 Jul 2013, 07:06

the texture has nothing to do with the mesh, if you applied a wrong texture, the triangles are at least filled with "something" (or plain black). Here it seems the arm has been weighted different, than the rest of the mesh, that means on deformation it just makes a mess (or is hidden inside the rest of the mesh). Maybe try to reweight it in 3ds (there are alot tutorials around), maybe try latest SVN version again and if nothing works, pm me the offending files, so I can take a look :P

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Postby realsurvivor686 » 26 Jul 2013, 15:45

Took a gander at the UV. Compared them across the three models: Ashley's blue hardsuit, the Ajax single player suit and the N7 combat engineer's suit (from which the AJAX is ripped from)

Found a most interesting thing:

As you can see the default blue hardsuit seems legit:

So too is the N7 Engineer's mesh

But look what happens with the Ajax suit:

UDK has highlighted one of the elements in red. While I don't know what that exactly means, I suspect the UV is off with the offending element.

Also note the difference between the supposedly identical N7 Combat engineer and Ajax SP mesh. Specifically the blue material on the arms. Could this be another reason why I'm getting the freakiness.
realsurvivor686
User

Postby WarrantyVoider » 26 Jul 2013, 16:38

yeah, after a bit of thinking, getorex suggestion could be right aswell, in that either the UV normals (but then the triangles *should* be black/wrong litten atleast) or the triangle normals are flipped, thats why they are highlighted I guess (im a noob in any 3d editor I havent wrote myself , so cant help you much with it :P)

greetz WV
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby realsurvivor686 » 26 Jul 2013, 19:38

@WarrantyVoider

Would the import options be affected the import from a UDK file?
realsurvivor686
User

Postby WarrantyVoider » 26 Jul 2013, 19:44

the only option left for udk import is "import bones" otherwise it keeps the original skeleton. the otheres were for psk import, which is now pretty useless

greetz
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby realsurvivor686 » 26 Jul 2013, 20:54

Am starting to suspect that there is a bug in the transfer process from PCC to UDK. If the mesh was working perfectly before with vanilla textures, there's no reason that all of a sudden UV triangles should go awry.

Will try again after updating the SVN.
realsurvivor686
User

Next

Return to Mesh and Model Discussion