Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Beta 2.0.11 - GUI Overhaul

Information and links to new stable & beta releases.

Beta 2.0.11 - GUI Overhaul

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 02 Sep 2016, 23:02

GUI OVERHAUL

This is a HUGE update, with a lot more going on than just the pretty new GUI, so make sure to read thoroughly.

Requirements
- Windows 7 SP1
- .NET 4.6.1 (Almost a year old at this point, so you probably have it. If you don't, get it here.)

ME3Explorer is now a single instance app. Attempts to open a second instance will just bring up the first. Command-line arguments still work. If you try to open a second instance and pass it command line arguments, they will get passed to the first instance, acted upon, and an exit code will be passed back.

Initial Setup:
Spoiler:

There's a fancy new initial setup menu for the toolset that will verify your game paths, and then extract all your ME3 DLC. Significant optimization has occured in the DLC extraction process, which should be about twice as fast now.

Main Window:
Spoiler:

The main window has been completely overhauled, and should mostly be self explanatory. Tools have been split into three categories:
Install Mods, for tools that mod users will use to install mods.
Create Mods. for tools that actually edit game files.
Utilities, for everything else.

ME1Explorer, ME2Explorer
These no longer exist. Their functionality has been merged into ME3Explorer. The Package Editor and Sequence Editor can now handle files from ME1, ME2, and ME3. The Dialog Editor is still split into a seperate version for each game, but they're all accesible from ME3Explorer now.

Cloning in DLC files
Those of you with advanced modding experience may know that it used to be impossible to clone or import in a file from ME3 or ME2 DLCs. There was a workaround for some DLC files, but now ME3Explorer can safely clone and import in all DLC files. (A couple caveats: ME3Creator still can't handle DLC files, so do your cloning and importing in Package Editor. And on files where it's possible, you might still want to delete the SeekFreeShaderCache since it will allow more efficient saving (smaller files))

File Sharing and the Task Pane (VERY IMPORTANT)
Spoiler:

Aside from ME3Creator, Texplorer, ModMaker, and TPFTools, every tool that deals with pcc files will share them. What this means is, if you open a file in Package Editor, and then open the same file in the Sequence Editor, it won't be separate copies of the same file like it used to be, they will be editing the same instance. Changes made in the the Sequence Editor will immediately show up in the Package Editor, and vice-versa. This is visualized in the Task Pane, which allows you too keep track of all open files, and which tools they are open in. It also lets you save the file, which illustrates an important point: if you save a file from any tool, ALL changes will be saved, from every tool that has that file open. If you try to close a tool, and it is the last tool to have a particular file open in it, then it will ask you to confirm so that you don't accidentally lose unsaved changes.

There's also been some changes to individual tools:
Package Editor:
Right click on a name in the Names List to change it.

FaceFxEditor
  • Edit ME2 Files
  • Import from ME2 -> ME3 (experimental)
  • Delete keyframes with the Delete key

Command-line changes:
-autotoc
generates all ME3 tocs
-sfarautotoc SFARPATH [SFARPATH2] ...
Takes a variable number of paths to sfars, autotocs them all in parallel

Get It Here
(Disclaimer: This is a beta release, so the only person who has tested any of this is me. That means there will be bugs, and you will encounter them. When you do, please make a bug report on Github so that they can be fixed.)

SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Re: Beta 2.0.11 - GUI Overhaul

Postby Deager » 03 Sep 2016, 02:30

Holy....I can't wait to check this out. I have so many ME2 lines I pretty much needed a FaceFX editor for to see. Thank you, thank you! Downloading now and probably not getting much sleep tonight.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby giftfish » 03 Sep 2016, 04:15

Yaaaaaaay.

Very exciting to finally see this live :)

Kudos to all the work you did on this Sir. It looks fantastic.

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby KFreon » 03 Sep 2016, 05:04

I just had a play with it.
Allow me to point out some sexy stuff:
    - Transparent window
    - Non standard window border/title
    - SPLASH SCREEN!! :O
    ---- I know the above are possible, and I tried them once but it was super painful. Looks like I should have stuck with it though. Looks very nice.
    - Flyout panel with descriptions for every tool.
    - Nice font
    - Settings are nicely presented and uncomplicated
    - Consistent behaviour for how things are displayed

Basically:
Noice :D

KFreon has been thanked by:
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby CreeperLava » 03 Sep 2016, 12:47

Awesome, going to test that right away ! Since ME1/ME2Explorer are no more, shouldn't we rename the tool MEExplorer ? It would probably be less confusing, all the tools are in a single place now.
Out of curiosity, does this version include the fix for the CustTextures file limit ?

Edit : Looks fantastic, it's so fancy (not that K's design was bad, but this is on another level :P).

Some remarks, if I may :) :
- Shouldn't the main window be resizable ?
- The bug button, right to the version label, doesn't seem to work.
- In the advanced settings, I find the way the tooltips are designed to not be very intuitive. My first guess was that you would click on it, and a popup would appear. Instead, nothing happened, since you have to hover over them. Could the tooltip appear if you click on it, too ?
- Porting thumbnails/trees from a previous beta version worked without issues.

Other than, pretty much perfect. Again, nice work !
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Deager » 03 Sep 2016, 14:11

Instead of a ninjaEDIT I wanted to write that this is awesome! It was as I expected given the hex I looked at, but the mouth position names for lip syncs, are of course, different in ME2 than ME3. But it still gives me enough that I think I can pull it off since I often mix a line from ME3 and ME2 together so I can't simply take the values over to test that experiment.

The bik extractor was a completely unexpected surprise and just potentially changed a scene in CEM with Kaidan since I can put any movie I want in there since I confirmed the bik in the tfc file is literally just a bik file in a tfc file. The hex is completely identical to a standalone file. Brilliant!

Anyway, thanks again Sir. I can't imagine how difficult this stuff is to do. You've given a tool that, I think first and foremost, serves the casual user, not the modder. And that's time well spent. The crazy core modders (I guess I'm one) can tend to figure stuff out, but this is going to be so useful for others and we may gain a few more modders while we're at it.

Deager has been thanked by:
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby giftfish » 03 Sep 2016, 15:25

[quote="Deager"]Anyway, thanks again Sir. I can't imagine how difficult this stuff is to do. You've given a tool that, I think first and foremost, serves the casual user, not the modder. And that's time well spent. The crazy core modders (I guess I'm one) can tend to figure stuff out, but this is going to be so useful for others and we may gain a few more modders while we're at it.

We worked very, very hard. Sir was also an extremely good sport about the level of detail I put into the design. Often it took going back and re-adjusting the size of text, moving icons a few pixels, etc.

At no point did Sir ever tell me that my "detail-oriented" nature was a pain in the ***, but I'm pretty certain it is >.>

Anyway, thanks again Sir <3

Now... we have about a billion tools to overhaul. Won't require nearly the same amount of detail, thank god :)

[quote="CreeperLava"]
- Shouldn't the main window be resizable ?
- The bug button, right to the version label, doesn't seem to work.
- In the advanced settings, I find the way the tooltips are designed to not be very intuitive. My first guess was that you would click on it, and a popup would appear. Instead, nothing happened, since you have to hover over them. Could the tooltip appear if you click on it, too ?

1. Resizing the main window is harder than it sounds. We've already started to look into it, and will likely implement if feasible.
2. Debug button works for me.
3. I'll leave this up to Sir, but I find clicking unnecessary. I've seen other programs use both methods, so I think this is mostly a matter of personal preference.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 05 Sep 2016, 20:11

@Sir -- We forgot to mention the new User folder, ack!

ME3Exp now takes advantage of the Windows User directory and saves settings to *that* directory. This includes sequence views, TLK priority, Advanced Settings and more. The goal is to add tree.bin support at some point.

No more regenerating your settings after every version change :)

I miss anything, Sir?

giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Ottemis » 06 Sep 2016, 20:23

@giftfish: You designed the look of this version yeah? It looks absolutely ace.

Looks like you two make a good team! Gonna give it a spin now, thanks guys, looks & sounds awesome!

[quote="SirCxyrtyx"] If you try to close a tool, and it is the last tool to have a particular file open in it, then it will ask you to confirm so that you don't accidentally lose unsaved changes.

Oh my God, thank you. My 15 month old has discovered how to turn off my PC today, and ME3Explorer was the first to die every damn time, faster than I could hit cancel. Goodbye Package Editor changes..
This is a lifesaver, my mini nerd's evil plans are now effectively thwarted.

Edit2: Aaaand I can move package editor to my second monitor, have multiple instances open over both monitors. I'm so in love with you guys right now.. fitting two of them inside the main me3explorer window was a ***** before. Made me wanna buy a bigger monitor while longingly eyeballing Gift's setup.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Return to New Releases