Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

BioEvtSysTrackSubtitles Actors

Dedicated area for content modders to help each other with technical aspects of modding the Mass Effect Trilogy.

BioEvtSysTrackSubtitles Actors

Postby The Fob » 31 Jan 2015, 08:14

Hey guys,

I have just been trying to redirect a subtitle to a different string reference and somehow, it didn't work for me (the old subtitle still shows in the game).
Has anyone tried this before? All I could find in the tutorials is about editing the TLK but I want to change the string reference itself (e.g. use 713288 instead of 713283).

The dialogue editor itself actually does the job nicely and the new line shows up in the editor but not in game. This makes me wonder if the subtitle string refs are stored in two places, once in the dialogue file and also somewhere else.

Anyway, if someone did this successfully, please let me know.
Cheers!
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Re: TUTORIAL: Dialogue Editing

Postby giftfish » 31 Jan 2015, 15:09

The Fob wrote:I have just been trying to redirect a subtitle to a different string reference and somehow, it didn't work for me (the old subtitle still shows in the game).
Has anyone tried this before? All I could find in the tutorials is about editing the TLK but I want to change the string reference itself (e.g. use 713288 instead of 713283).

The dialogue editor itself actually does the job nicely and the new line shows up in the editor but not in game. This makes me wonder if the subtitle string refs are stored in two places, once in the dialogue file and also somewhere else.

In a normal dialogue, this works by changing the reftext parameter associated with the entry/reply. Just double-click and put in your new string ID. Edit the TLK before you load up a test save and you should be in business. This is all I've had to do in the past, though it usually went along with facefx and audio adjustments.

But, looking at this line in the TLK, Sequence Editor, and Dialogue Editor...this is a bit weird. It doesn't seen to be a standard dialogue -- there's no "StartConversation" object in the map for SEQ_Arms_Open (like there is for Anderson_Dies, for example). Nor is there one on the main sequence map. So far I've only had changes in the Dialogue Editor work for "normal" dialogues that have those objects. If they aren't present I think all bets are off.

Just to be clear, though, are you trying to use line 713288 instead of 713283? As then they both won't be used in the dialogue? If that's the case you should try re-pointing to see if that works.

giftfish

Postby The Fob » 31 Jan 2015, 16:34

Ok, I was just thinking of asking if anyone has done this (and apparently you have), so I used a random example but let me tell you exactly what I want to do:

I am editing the file BioD_End002_400Guardian_LOC_INT.pcc (taken from the Extended Cut dlc).
I am copying the file into my new MEHEM DLC folder.
I also changed some sound references in that very same file, to link to my new MEHEM.afc and those changes work, so I do know that the game is loading that file and is using it for the dialogue.

Now on to the subtitles:
I am opening Dialogue Editor and I am loading the conversation #163: end002_crucible_dock_c_dlg
The conversation shows up (and for me, it does have a Starting List as usual)
Spoiler:

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood you there. I think the StartConversation object may still be in BioD_End002_300TIMConflict.pcc or the corresponding LOC_Int.pcc because the dialogue in the game rolls over directly from Anderson's death scene. Is the StartConversation object relevant for subs though?

Here is what the Entry list looks like:
Spoiler:

Now I modify a couple of lines, so their subtitle reference strings in my new MEHEM tlk (btw, I know that the tlk works because for emails, it works perfectly). In the expanded example, the new line is 960001, now the line shows as No Data:
Spoiler:

If I go to "File -> Load different TLK" and load my new MEHEM tlk, the list now looks like this:
Spoiler:

Those are my new lines, so all is looking great in the editor.
But in the game, the old subtitles still show up, as if I had never edited them. So I am confused (as I said, I know that the file is oaded and used properly).

EDIT 2: I think I figured it out. Despite the fact that there is a dialogue object for this, that object is actually never used and the entire conversation is just an interp (hence no StartConversation object in the pcc). The lines are spoken via SFXInterpTrackPlayFaceOnlyVO objects in the pcc (e.g. object #1378 in BioD_End002_400Guardian.pcc. These objects then reference the sound objects in the BioD_End002_400Guardian_LOC_Int.pcc (that's why my sound changes worked) but the StringReferences for the subtitles are listed directly in the SFXInterpTrackPlayFaceOnlyVO object (you can see them with the interpreter.

WTF? Kind of figures that with my first real use of dialogue editor, I stumble on the weirdest conversation setup in the game. :? :? :?

Anyway, thanks heaps for pointing out the issue with the StartConversation object gift, that's what let me find this.
The Fob
Modder

Postby giftfish » 31 Jan 2015, 17:22

@Fob -- Ah, now it makes sense. I was looking at the normal EC TIM pcc.

My first thought was that this would be an Animcutscene, but I didn't see it in there. Now if I look at the EC Guardian file, though, I see it:

The 113 conditional controlling the SL is really common in the Animcutscenes, btw.

So, you're trying to edit the same stuff I've been trying to do for the romance scene. You need to look for a "_sub' object in the main PCC. In the Animcutscenes all this stuff is controlled there for the most part.

Let me take a closer look in a second.

giftfish

Postby The Fob » 31 Jan 2015, 17:28

Hey, check out my edit 2 in my post above. Think I've got it. Will also check out the _suib objects. Looks like Hackett's subtitles are encoded in the SFXInterpTrackPlayOnlyVO objects while Shepard's are in the _sub objects. What a mess.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!!!
The Fob
Modder

Postby giftfish » 31 Jan 2015, 17:37

The Fob wrote:EDIT 2: I think I figured it out. Despite the fact that there is a dialogue object for this, that object is actually never used and the entire conversation is just an interp (hence no StartConversation object in the pcc). The lines are spoken via SFXInterpTrackPlayFaceOnlyVO objects in the pcc (e.g. object #1378 in BioD_End002_400Guardian.pcc. These objects then reference the sound objects in the BioD_End002_400Guardian_LOC_Int.pcc (that's why my sound changes worked) but the StringReferences for the subtitles are listed directly in the SFXInterpTrackPlayFaceOnlyVO object (you can see them with the interpreter.

Ha, this is what I was just looking for. All I could find for the subs was for Shep and Anderson. This is Hackett's and he's not on screen, so it's not a normal thing. I thought I remembered JohnP talking about those SFX VO objects, and now that I've been playing with the Animcutscenes more and researching Jacob's content I've been noticing them more and more.

The Fob wrote:WTF? Kind of figures that with my first real use of dialogue editor, I stumble on the weirdest conversation setup in the game. :? :? :?

Anyway, thanks heaps for pointing out the issue with the StartConversation object gift, that's what let me find this.

Ha. Murphy's Law. And no problem. I should have some more stuff up about the Animcutscene edits today, too.
giftfish

Postby The Fob » 31 Jan 2015, 21:34

Ok, I got everything to work now. Short update:

- Shep's subtitles are in the _sub objects as expected. No problems there.

- The SFXInterpTrackPlayOnlyVO objects are a bit tricky because the "nLineStrRef" parameter does not only determine the subtitle but also links to the audio file itself. If you just change that parameter to your new subtitle line id, the game will just skip the line.
What you need to do is to check out the LOC_Int.pcc file: Scroll way down to all the "play" and "wav" objects. You will notice that the object names are actually containing the subtitle ids. For example Hacket's first line in the dialgoue has a wav object called:
en-us,global_hackett,end002_crucible_dock_c,00713284_m_wav

(as I said, there are also play objects, etc. with almost the same name).
Now, if you go through the name list and rename all the relevant objects to have the nwe id for youe new subtitle, the sound will play again and the new subtitle will show. In my case, I had to rename the object above to
en-us,global_hackett,end002_crucible_dock_c,00960001_m_wav

because my subtitle id was 960001. Keep in mind, you need to change this in the name list. I haven't tried if it's enough to only change it for a subset of the objects that have the id tag in the name, I just renamed all of them and that works.

Bottom line: This is extremely tedious and you are way better off just overwriting existing subtitles unless you have to absolutely keep the original intact for some reason.

On a side note: There is a really nifty little parameter in the SFXInterpTrackPlayOnlyVO objects that is called "srActorNameOverride". It is a string reference (just like the subtitles) and if you set it, you can change who is displayed as saying the line in the game without changing the object's owner (e.g., I changed that parameter to 187764, which is the id for the string "Joker". Now the subtitle reads:
"Joker: Normandy to the Citadel!"

instead of
"Admiral Hackett:"Normandy to the Citadel!"

despite the fact that "radio_glocal_hackett" is still the owner of that SFXInterpTrackPlayOnlyVO object. IIRC the entries of the Entry and the Reply lists in the dialogue editor also have such an option. You probably already know that gift but I wanted to mention it as it may come in handy at times.

The Fob has been thanked by:
The Fob
Modder

Postby giftfish » 31 Jan 2015, 21:45

@Fob -- That's awesome. I was thinking you'd need to change the strings on other export objects as well, since the game seems to "match" them for faceFX, VO, audio, etc.

Just wrapped up lunch, so I'm now back to my tedious project....ugh.
giftfish

Postby The Fob » 31 Jan 2015, 21:49

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't try faceFX since my line was from Hackett who is not on screen at the time. Not sure how that factors into things but it is very possible that you'd have to alter those objects accordingly.
The Fob
Modder

Postby Deager » 04 Nov 2015, 03:24

I know it's an old thread and I bet giftfish has this figured out but oh my goodness. Now I know what a BioEvtSysTrackSubtitles is. I never wanted to know what is was because it's a complete PITA.

This relates to Fob's earlier posts about sometimes the pcc file, not the INT.pcc file contains some instructions for audio and subtitles. It's the BioEvtSysTrackSubtitles which controls this. I think the editing must be done in hex for changing it (not difficult) but then I need to find, in my case, the more important setting of hiding the subtitle. Which is probably there....as a freak'n 00 byte since 01 is "always hide subtitle."

Ah, the joys of modding in hex and working backwards.

EDIT: Easy. Just make the subtitle value one that doesn't exist. In my case, 999999 or 3F 42 0F in little endian. This hides the subtitle. Now I just need to figure out the FaceFX stuff which also works in a weird way with this line and I should be good to go.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Next

Return to Modders' Help