CEM v1.4.0 is out

Complimentary board where content modders may host dev threads for mods destined for release. Communicate information, find testers, release Betas, etc.
Deager
Modder

19 Apr 2016, 18:57 #1

D for "done." Or, "duh" or "Dude, seriously, again!?"

I don't think I'll do it as people seem happy enough with it but, if anyone reads this posts, what are things that you think CEM is missing or that could be improved? Even the stupid little stuff like the "magic pan" in the Kaidan apartment scene of CEM Full where it's not meant to be on camera but since it is with the mod, it's not positioned properly.

Any modded lines that bug you to no end? Any things that would be cool additions?

If there were enough things to do and if I think I can do them, yeah, maybe, just maybe another release. But I suspect the list might be short for what I could actually get done at this point. Let me know what you think....all 7 of us who are still on the site. ;)

giftfish
Toolset Developer

19 Apr 2016, 21:31 #2

Deager wrote:Let me know what you think....all 7 of us who are still on the site. ;)
Don't be deceived, my young padawan.

We usually have 25-40 registered visitors/day, and we have many, MANY lurkers. There are still quite a few folks around here. Certainly not as much modding activity, but still a good amount considering we're talking about a fan-built toolset for a 4 year old game.

The new User Tool and Resource articles on the wiki has also caused in a drastic decrease in help requests, which was what a lot of the old traffic stemmed from. A decrease in those is a very good thing... for everyone :)

sansuni
Modder

20 Apr 2016, 06:46 #3

Don't forget the people like me who checks in every now and then just doesn't log in. I don't log in as much because I don't need as much as help as I did before (meaning I just about know what I am doing now, even if its barely) and my progress on my mod is very slow and I still don't have enough to show for it.

As for your mod, I believe what its missing (in my humble opinion) the feeling that its is the new, the real ending. Because no characters mention that they defeted reapers, not even the news cast, no mention of survivors etc.. I mean, it is still good, much better than the original ending, but it would make it better if you added something to give that feeling. You know, maybe add a datapad or two that mentions the war and its casualties, maybe add a Spectre request or two to aid people who survived after the war and so on. Small things like that could help, if you could add an edited voice of Shepard that he/she mentions they defeated the reapers, that would make the mod. And lastly, maybe a few E-Mails from people we haven't seen since ME1 and ME2 for good measure? (Letting us know that they are alright or if something happened to them. Would be a nice touch.)
One more thing comes to mind, but I believe that would be a little more difficult. How about adding two NPC's to citadel, where they that talk about how the reapers were defeated among themselves? That would be perfect, but also very hard to make it properly work.

Still, like I've said, even without those, your mod is one of my favorite mods.

Deager
Modder

20 Apr 2016, 17:51 #4

sansuni wrote:Don't forget the people like me who checks in every now and then just doesn't log in. I don't log in as much because I don't need as much as help as I did before (meaning I just about know what I am doing now, even if its barely) and my progress on my mod is very slow and I still don't have enough to show for it.
True. I do a little bit of self-deprecating humor since I still view CEM as a little audio mod. But I do know that some people genuinely have enjoyed it and I do take the mod very seriously to try and give an experience that others may want. So, thanks for taking the time to write and I'll comment on what you've said.
sansuni wrote:As for your mod, I believe what its missing (in my humble opinion) the feeling that its is the new, the real ending. Because no characters mention that they defeated reapers, not even the news cast, no mention of survivors etc.. I mean, it is still good, much better than the original ending, but it would make it better if you added something to give that feeling.
Completely agree. See more below. One thought is that Al-Jilani thing with Anderson....I wonder if I can find anything from her. I doubt it given the limited lines she has but you never know. Although, I never thought about Emily Wong and she has a lot of lines I don't pay attention to in ME2...I'll have to see what she says.
sansuni wrote:You know, maybe add a datapad or two that mentions the war and its casualties, maybe add a Spectre request or two to aid people who survived after the war and so on.
While I haven't added any datapads or items like that, I gather it's quite doable. Kinkojiro has been doing some amazing things and I'm about to use the Expanded Galaxy Mod (er, is it Map?...anyway) since, well, a long time ago. I suspect I'm going to be blown away by what's possible. That said, I'm still an audio modder by default but this is a good idea.
sansuni wrote:Small things like that could help, if you could add an edited voice of Shepard that he/she mentions they defeated the reapers, that would make the mod.
I really, really tried to do a line with Shepard going to throw the party. The line said, "Let's celebrate our defeat of the Reapers" or something along those lines. The problem was, it didn't have a light enough tone to it, which isn't surprising since the main game is so heavy and it's difficult to find a line or even just the word Reapers that is in the correct tone. Now, all that said, it's still something I'd love to see done so maybe I can revisit.
sansuni wrote:And lastly, maybe a few E-Mails from people we haven't seen since ME1 and ME2 for good measure? (Letting us know that they are alright or if something happened to them. Would be a nice touch.)
I've never done it, but I gather adding new emails is not that difficult. I just need some conditional checks, figure out how to word an email in a good way, and that's about it. Granted, it'll probably be more annoying that I think but I think that is doable. But the real issue is wording and how many and all that. This one I may also consider doing.
sansuni wrote:One more thing comes to mind, but I believe that would be a little more difficult. How about adding two NPC's to citadel, where they that talk about how the reapers were defeated among themselves? That would be perfect, but also very hard to make it properly work.
I know it can be done given what I've seen of EGM. Beyond what I can do myself but, I could potentially snag a conversation with two people and replace all the dialogue. That's the cheap and dirty way. The problem of course is...well, ideally I need new lines. And no matter how passionate we are, we all kind of suck at voice acting. Even pros screw up without the correct lines and direction as Bioware games, to me anyway, seem to always do very, very well with believable acting. I love the idea, but I'm not sure if I could do it justice.
sansuni wrote:Still, like I've said, even without those, your mod is one of my favorite mods.
Thanks. While I made it for myself just because I found the Citadel DLC too disjointed during the main story, I'm glad the mod has had some success for people.

OK, so I have to ponder these things. I do want to help Kinkojiro with a few things first. If giftfish wants help with ThaneMOD and audio I could give it a whirl, although I think she's got that under control. If I do release that's just technical fixes, at least I know that overall the mod is working for people. But that main idea of "we beat the Reapers" would be great to be read or be heard by the player.

Another option someone asked for was to have the credits not roll until after CEM is done. And yet another request was to have the Normandy flying away from the Citadel and then have the credits roll. Once again, I know both can be done but that's getting into complicated territory for my skills.

Long post all but thanks for the feedback sansuni. I can make no promises to anyone but now is a good time to chime in with ideas. If anyone wants to tackle some technical issues I'd definitely welcome it; this is not my mod, this is our mod for those who like it. OK, it's my mod I guess, but CEM is better with help from others. New ideas and skills really have taken it a long way from that v0.1 release.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

20 Apr 2016, 18:19 #5

@Deager -- Ha ha. Thane has taken a backseat to the toolset for now, but not for much longer!

Don't think I won't be bothering you and some point in the future, muuuhahaha :D

KingFeraligatr
User

21 Apr 2016, 01:41 #6

Do you think it'd be possible to add that "friendship" "goodbye" scene we talked about a year ago, Deager? The one where instead of Joker, you'd have a conversation with the squaddie you had the greatest "friendship" value (I know it exists in ME3) with, assuming you don't have an LI at all or one that's unavailable? I imagine that it'd take quite a bit to implement though and I wouldn't blame you for not undertaking such a task. Still, if I were to replay the ME fanfic games (ME2 and 3) someday (likely will eventually), it'd be nice to have the final convo of the game be with my buddy Garrus. If not, I can understand why you won't.

Otherwise, other changes that would be nice to see is explaining how there seems to be a stasis in the Normandy crew in between the ending of ME3 and CEM (though your little blurb about keeping order helps); that the VR Geth should be made sure to be called Heretic Geth (as I assume the orthodox Geth would be offended if people were killing Geth for fun; speaking that if they're still around at this time they'd be far be accepted into the galactic community); how Shep somehow is still in command of the Normandy and has their crew from ME3's main campaign still (barring LI ofc); how Shep is not inviting their LI if they're no in the ME3 crew; etc. You already handled the Sanctuary ads and transit system, which is very good. I do not expect you to fix all these problems, though it'd be nice to see something done about them. I can't really blame you if you can't, as you're working with an inherently nonsensical and shaky base (ME3 and Citadel, which ME2 really started the shaky base for). A lot of the problems I have with the DLC are beyond the scope of your mod and I'm just pointing out continuity issues.

Otherwise, CEM is a great mod that makes a nonsensical DLC slightly more sensical. It helps take a ridiculous premise (fighting a clone and partying during a brutal war), and puts it somewhere it will make a bit more sense at without interfering with ME3's grimderp. When I still cared for ME2 and 3, I enjoyed having an endless fighting place and a playable part after the ending. Citadel, despite being so utterly stupid, is still is more bearable than ME3's main campaign and I liked having a place where I could divorce myself from that and actually enjoy the game a bit for once (barring mods like EGM/GMM and MEHEM and Tuchanka and Garrus). Whatever you decide to do, I'm going to thank you for the millionth time Deager for making this mod and helping to improve the game to bearable levels (mods are the only thing making ME3 worth playing to any degree).
I call myself the Typo Master. So if you see a typo in my posts, I'm sorry.
Link to the forums of my Mass Effect Rewrite: http://kfmerewriteforums.proboards.com/

Deager
Modder

21 Apr 2016, 02:30 #7

Thanks for the feedback. I won't go as in depth in my response but I will be reading it over and taking notes.

The friend idea is a good one. I'm actually a non-romancer in the game at heart and only romance for variety or if I think that Shep would do it...but whew, how to implement all the conditionals. In theory, I could have the conditionals already related to the goodbye check for friends, not romances, and go that route. Somehow I need a check....ewww. Well, I suppose one option would be an optional installer. For example, someone requested Miranda turn and go to the Normandy and I was able to do that. I actually have it for Jack as well but I don't have the dialogue right yet.

So maybe, an installer option is you decide ahead of time you don't plan to romance anyone. Of course, lines like, "I love you" and such will have to changed. :)

I'll ponder this and your other ideas. That's true about the geth. Kind of a serious slap to the face like, "Sure, we accept you as alive...kind of. Now I shoot you virtually in the face!" But back to pondering. I basically play Mass Effect and Kerbal Space Program and that's it. So, I kind of have spare time with gaming and maybe I'm getting into the mood to mod again. I just have to slow my pace a bit this time.

Kinkojiro
Modder

21 Apr 2016, 14:09 #8

Deager - what I really want is the full party experience.

So whatever you choose it goes Phase 1- Quiet 2 - Rowdy 2 - Quiet 3 - Rowdy 3 - Photo - Morning after.

Not sure how the streaming works but would be great if that could be done.

Deager
Modder

21 Apr 2016, 14:37 #9

I had never thought to do that before....it's kind of a cool idea. I do suck at streaming states but if it's one of those deals where it could be as simple as telling a file to force load certain files at certain points, it might work. The only thing I probably can't do is have both versions of phase 1. They're mostly the same but some lines are different.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

22 Apr 2016, 17:26 #10

@deager -- Uh, this is only peripherally relevant, but would you mind zipping up 4 of your screenshots from CEM so I can add them to your Mod Spotlight? :)