Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Change Iconic Shepard's eyes & skin

General references and tutorials not related to textures, meshes, or content modding.This board is locked and will be archived once transferred to the wiki. New content should be posted directly to the wiki.

Change Iconic Shepard's eyes & skin

Postby Inquiring » 11 Apr 2013, 03:16

You can change Iconic Shepard's natural eye color and the color of the eye effect (for example, the "renegade" eyes). You can make the eye effect that of Illusive Man's.

1. Download Mass Effect 3 Explorer.
2. In BIOGame\CookedPCConsole, make a backup(s) of a file(s) depending on what class(es) you want changed eyes for:
SFXCharacterclass_Adept.pcc
SFXCharacterclass_Engineer.pcc
SFXCharacterclass_Infiltrator.pcc
SFXCharacterclass_Sentinel.pcc
SFXCharacterclass_Soldier.pcc
SFXCharacterclass_Vanguard.pcc
3. Open one of these files in PCC Editor 2.0 (in Mass Effect 3 Explorer)
4. In the export list, locate and select HMM_HED_EYESheppard_MAT_1a (male) or HMF_EYE_PROSheppard_MAT_1a (female). This is the material file for Shepard's eye.
5. Click on "Debug" and then "Get Complete Dump," saving the bin file somewhere.
7. Click on "Interpret" and then "Start Scan." Scroll up.
8. Under the first "LinearColor," you're going to see a set of 4 values. They are R, G, B, and alpha in that order. You'll see that there's a zero for both green and blue, leaving only red, which you may recall is the color of Shepard's "renegade" eye effect. So, this is the set of numbers for the "emissive" color of Shepard's eye effect (not his/her natural eye color "underneath" it)
8. Next to the numbers is the offset they're in. They are probably going to be 40 through 4C. Open up a hex editor (I recommend hxd mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/) and then your .bin dump, making sure the offsets are set to hex. It's a good idea to make the bytes per row 4 to match Mass Effect 3 explorer. Goto to offset 40. Here, you're going to see 00 00 80 3F.
9. Now you're going to want to get the 255-based RGB values (ex. 124, 255, 80)for the color you want for the eye effect. Then go to http://andylangton.co.uk/tools/colour-converter or somewhere else where you can convert 255-based RGB to percent-based RGB. In the third box on this website, input your RGB values - like 124, 255, 80 - into the first text box inside of it. Then click convert to RGB. You're going to get 3 percentages. Now, take these percentages and record them somewhere as decimals. 49% becomes .49, 100% becomes 1, 31% becomes .31, etc.
10. Download this or use something else that can convert between integer, float, and hex (if you do use something else, remember Mass Effect files use little endian):
download/file.php?id=134
Thanks to WarrantyVoider
In this application, enter the red decimal value into the "value" textbox. Click on the lower convert button. Now, you have the hex value for it. In the case for .49, it is 48E1FA3E. Take those values and overwrite the ones in the bin file you are hex editing. So 00 00 80 3F --> 48 E1 FA 3E (or whatever you got from the application). Do NOT paste it in and increase the file size. We aren't adding numbers, in other words, we are changing them. In hxd, near the bottom of the application, it should say "overwrite" or "insert." If it says "insert," press the insert button to get it back to overwrite. In hxd, you can use CTRL+B to overwrite rather than paste something when you have hex values in your copy clipboard.
11. Do this for the blue and green values as well. You are probably not going to want to touch the alpha value.
12. To change Shepard's natural eye color, do the same thing, but for the values under LinearColor (under "EYE_White_Colour_Vector"). This is probably going to be offsets 150 through 15C.
Once again, best to leave the alpha alone in most cases. When you're done, save the bin file and go back to ME3 explorer.
13. Click the x near the top (not top most x, the one under it) to get out of interpret mode.
With the material file still selected, go to Edit -> Replace with bin. Use the .bin file you just edited and saved.
14. Now click on File and Save, saving over the original .pcc file (do not do this unless you've already made a backup).
15. In Mass Effect 3 Explorer, click on tools and then TOCBinUpdater. File -> Check PCConsoleTOC.bin. The file it wants is in BIOGame.
16. Update your PCConsoleTOC.bin file.
17. If you want Illusive Man eyes for Shepard, open up biogame.ini/biogame.json from your Coalesced editor. I use gibbed's: http://svn.gib.me/builds/masseffect3/co ... 69_b86.zip
Notepad++ is a great way to edit the .json. Otherwise, you can just use any other text editor.
Search for scars. In EyeEmissive or (FemaleEyeEmissive for female Shepard), replace the values there with BIOG_HMM_HED_PROMorph.IllusiveMan.HMM_HED_PROIllusiveman_Eye_Diff
You're going to want to do that for all 5 lines so it works for Shepards of all paragon/renegade alignments. Save.
18. Compile your Coalesced and copy it into BIOGame\CookedPCConsole. Play the game. If you did everything right (and are playing as a class you made the edits in), you should see the changes you made.
--
For skin color, use HM*_HED_PROSheppard_Face_Mat_1a. The values are under the first "LinearColor." It seems like shades of red are best, but not I'm certain and you should experiment. Try giving female Shepard male Shepard's skin color and vice versa. You should get a tanner female Shepard and a lighter male Shepard. Do this also for the scalp material file.
Last edited by Inquiring on 12 Apr 2013, 04:38, edited 5 times in total.

Inquiring
Modder

Have thanks: 53 time

Re: Change Iconic Shepard's eyes

Postby WarrantyVoider » 11 Apr 2013, 04:34

good work, thanks for making the tut^^ could you maybe add a picture/screenshot to your post, so I can link it to fb? :D

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Re: Change Iconic Shepard's eyes & skin

Postby Inquiring » 12 Apr 2013, 02:41

Thanks, you can use this:
You can also change Iconic Shepard's skin color this way too...adding it to the tutorial. In the picture, Shepard is more pale than normal (haven't found out the right colors to make him darker yet)
Inquiring
Modder

Have thanks: 53 time

Postby Fog.Gene » 30 Apr 2013, 06:43

Thanks for the tutorial. I have a question about step 9, for whoever knows the answer.

9. Now you're going to want to get the 255-based RGB values (ex. 124, 255, 80)for the color you want for the eye effect. Then go to http://andylangton.co.uk/tools/colour-converter or somewhere else where you can convert 255-based RGB to percent-based RGB. In the third box on this website, input your RGB values - like 124, 255, 80 - into the first text box inside of it. Then click convert to RGB. You're going to get 3 percentages. Now, take these percentages and record them somewhere as decimals. 49% becomes .49, 100% becomes 1, 31% becomes .31, etc.

If I convert from 255-based to %based RGB myself, am I restricted to 2 decimal places (0.00) in the bytecode? I know I can convert a crapload of digits to float, decimal or whatever, but will the game accept it?

I mean, what sort of input does the game take? I was thinking that the game perhaps converts the percentage back to 255-RGB before interpretting it, but if that were the case a lot of ints between 0-255 would be lost in the conversion.... Unless I can input more than two decimals.

Edit: Not that it matters much, since I am half colour blind anyways, but I am curious.
Regere: Let the world know of its sovereign. I shall be the rule by which all things are measured.
Polyhistor: Then I am to be the slave, for all things shall be my master.
Fog.Gene
Emeritus

Have thanks: 65 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 30 Apr 2013, 07:29

its just that you convert 0..255 (byte) to 0.0f..1.0f (float), and that floats are made up of 4 bytes. so you take any of these converter, take your rgb value partwise, divide it by 255 and convert the resulting float (with all decimals) to hex (4 bytes)

RGB(128,64,32) = R(0.5f), G(0.25f), B(0.125f) = 0x0000003F , 0x0000803E , 0x0000003E

greetz WV
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby Fog.Gene » 30 Apr 2013, 07:59

Well, yes, but if I do the conversion directly as (float)128/255 then when I parse the 4 bytes to hex, I get 0AD7A33F. However if I round it up to exactly 0.5, then the hex is 0000003F.

But I guess it doesn't really matter, since both would result in the same RGB int (128) when rounded. The matter only becomes apparent when I convert back from float to int, because if I'm restricted to 2 decimal places, then I end up skipping some 0-255 ints. But even then, a difference of 1-3 ints up or down is still going to be imperceptible to the human eye.

I was just wondering how the game gets the color from the float. Does it convert to 255-RGB? Or are there other scales?
Regere: Let the world know of its sovereign. I shall be the rule by which all things are measured.
Polyhistor: Then I am to be the slave, for all things shall be my master.
Fog.Gene
Emeritus

Have thanks: 65 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 30 Apr 2013, 09:29

its all about shaders, using floats in a general float driven process is simply a speedup... also it will use all digits so the difference is between 0.5f and 0,5019607843137255 and the diff should result in +/- 1 in rgb values (bytes btw, int is either 16, 32 or 64 bit = 2, 4, 8 bytes)

WarrantyVoider has been thanked by:
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby llawsford » 17 Jun 2013, 14:38

Changing eye and hair color worked perfectly, changing skin did not. Are You guys sure that values (0040-004C) in 'HM*_HED_PROSheppard_Face_Mat_1a' and 'HM*_HED_PROSheppard_Scalp_Mat_1a' are the ones that should be altered?

llawsford
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to General References and Tutorials