Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Cloning export from one startup file to another

Dedicated area for content modders to help each other with technical aspects of modding the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Cloning export from one startup file to another

Postby FemShep » 02 Mar 2016, 08:19

I'm the maintainer of the SP Controller Support mod. I have seen the issues this mod causes for just about all of you due to the huge number of files moonshine had it replace, but while making a patch for EGM I found that GUI files in the custom dlc startup pcc file override the GUIs in other standard pcc files. e.g. EGM had a higher mount than SP Controller Support. While making the patch, if I did not patch EGM's startup file (which has a war assets GUI in it), war assets would use PC and be busted.

So in theory then, one could make a startup file of only xbox GUIs and mount this file higher than all other mods, and technically, one could discard all the conflicting files that this mod uses. However I haven't had any luck cloning in a GUI_SF export. None of the other official DLC startup files have a GUI_SF export except the MP ones, which include a ton of other garbage. I renamed a bunch of stuff, but the game hangs at loading. It's not a TOC issue. it was, derp. If I manually try to clone in an object, it is missing required GFXMovieInfo properties and crashes. I had to import the GFXMovieInfo and fix the shader cache, but no dice. Alternatively, I guess I could see if I could just have a Startup.pcc file override the basegame one... but no idea if that will work or what complication it could have if it did.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this. If we can get just 1 GUI file to supercede it would probably be possible to nullify all conflicts this mod has with others which would save a lot of people a lot of headaches.

EDIT: So here's the situation: Each Startup file from MP is like 30MB, and is quite a bit of work to fix up to work in SP. I think I got MP2 working in SP by renaming a bunch of garbage. I am looking for a way to clone (and probably add names) a GUI entry from a file (startup.pcc) to another startup file (like genesis 2's nice small one or any of the SP ones I suppose) which would make this mod nice and small. It could also pave the way for unifying the MP and SP versions of the mod since the only issue is the startup.pcc issue for SP only UI.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Re: Cloning export from one startup file to another

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 05 Mar 2016, 01:35

ME3Creator can clone from another PCC, in the Importer view. It's not perfect, but it will take care of a lot of the names automatically.

Some things it doesn't do correctly:
Link
Class
ByteProperties
ArrayProperties

You'd have to change those manually for each export.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 05 Mar 2016, 07:09

So that was the issue. Incredible. Also interesting find, explains why I had such trouble with fixing the startup files for the collector weapons without screwing up other things in the SP game.

If you fixed the shadercache properly then the next most likely issue is that one of the sfxgamecontent functions is running but cannot find a resource due to you renaming it.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby FemShep » 05 Mar 2016, 17:02

The thing is, that I think I need an export, not an import... Unless importer view can import to an export?? I though it could clone imports across files.

I copied the startup.pcc file to my DLC, renamed the file and added/changed the name to Startup_CON_XBX_INT (as my bioengine says) and the turned most of the names like sfxgamecontent... Engine materials... Etc to garbage text so it wouldn't conflict. The game seemed to load, but I need to test a bit farther to see if my custom startup file worked... Issue is that I also have to have basegame startup with these GUI files, cause otherwise you can't even get past the main menu. And since that loads, all of the ones in my copied pcc does, but I need to get cloning in this DLC one for the troubling ones (warassets and mail for the most part). May need to manually control the UI so it doesn't load the Xbox interfaces at startup time and then once SP loads see if my Startup file I copied from the basegame had any effect.

I know that cloning a GUI_SF... package in my dlc startup and a gfxmovieinfo object leads to the game crashing. Even after fixing the data, link, etc. The original startup.pcc does not have a seekfreeshadercache so mine doesnt either, unsure if that is the issue. Moonshine seems to have replaced(add and remove... I guess, rename) an export for a UI and then added a package and textures for the UI. He did not add a new export.

I will look into this part of importer (I thought it only dealt with imports, but I need this as export). It shouldn't need much, as I think GUI exports are a boolean, an array of references, and then an array of bytes as a SWF file which I have code that injects.

Getting this working would let me discard lots of files (I still have a few ones that require manual fixing) but it would improve mod compatibility immensely.

Additionally I was able to code up the ability for pcceditor2 to view Xbox files.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page

FemShep has been thanked by:
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Return to Modders' Help