Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Coalesced graphics settings for ME Trilogy

Basic questions on how to achieve certain modding goals with the toolset. Texture and mesh-related questions have their own subforum. Answers not guaranteed.

Re: Mass Effect Trilogy - INI and Coalesced Settings - Graph

Postby Nurmi » 22 Jul 2016, 07:20

Can't apply these settings to ME3 without randomly getting black texture to main menu & character heads, and I recall also giving up on tweaking settings couple years ago with same thing happening.
Strangest thing happening this time was suddenly the game just playing intro movie although the ; tweak was there, I just don't even.

So, could you please upload both AMD & Nvidia Coalesced here.. :idea:

PS: I hideously just stole from some old thread local_profile.sav for finishing the accomplishments, and ME3/Origin applied them really strangely in pieces with each restart.
Firstly just the base game and then as I was trying to figure out whats going on I noted having them all.

PSS: Uploaded the local_profile to Nexus. http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/448/?
Nurmi
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby CreeperLava » 22 Jul 2016, 13:19

1. Did you follow the instructions exactly ? i.e. only edit the LOD Groups that are mentioned in the head post.
2. To disable intro movies, use the -nomoviestartup command line argument to remove startup movies. Or append the extension ".bak" to the "ME3_sig_logo.bik" file in the Movies folder of your ME3 installation folder.
3. I won't upload Coalesceds here, this is a guide, not a mod.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby ScureHD » 01 Aug 2016, 16:27

Still having problems. I changed everything according to the description, except the environment lines. have similar error if i change the environment lines, just even more things turn to black. Now only just some textures are bad. I'm using ALOT texture pack too.
Video about it:
https://youtu.be/O6grlE1lLSU
Edit: sorry for low FPS.
ScureHD
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby giftfish » 01 Aug 2016, 16:51

Folks, this is supposed to be a research thread; not a troubleshooting thread. Help and troubleshooting is for the "How do I..." section.

I'll be relocating certain posts from this thread a bit later. Giving you a heads up now, since shadow topics don't work when you aren't moving an entire topic.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: Coalesced graphics settings for ME Trilogy

Postby Tarshana » 17 Sep 2016, 21:13

Hey folks wanted to chime in here.

Many of the ME3 Coalesced settings do not function properly when you use the in-game video settings. In-game settings override the manual input because the manual input is meant to work with your NVidia or AMD settings. I am not well versed in AMD so a friend of mine is configuring his settings and will get back to me.

Note: Do not use any of these settings YET. read first and then make a choice. Keep track of your changes to revert!!! Just open a note pad.

For Nvidia users, disable AA and all that in your graphics settings within the game (it is best to do this out of game using the ME3 Configuration found in your WIN32 folder)

On Win 7 I find my Nvidia panel under Control Panel ---> Appearance and Personalization ---> Nvidia Control Panel

On my NVidia, Manage 3D Settings- Program settings Tab. Your NVidia should populate, Under the program select, chose your Mass Effect 3. This is where you want to add personal touches for your video card to control rather than the program. You will notice these settings share similarities in your coalesced. Please read over this carefully.

Ambient Occlusion -Some graphic cards have support for this, some do not. You will need to check the manf specs
Anisotropic Filtering - this is how sharp your graphics will be
Antialiasing- FXAA . FXAA is a fast shader based post processing technique that can be applied to any program even those with do not support other forms of hardware based antialiasing. You can use FXAA with other antialiasing settings. This can slow down your computer
Antialiasing Gamma correction - this one is kind of tricky, depending if you use something like GEMFX depends if you want to enable this. If you are not using GEMFX or other ENB type programs turn it on otherwise those programs do a better job
Antialiasing Setting - This is your basic antialiasing that gets rid of jagged edges along the edge of your 3d graphic models
Antialiasing Transparency- this helps any models with a transparency setting in the graphics look better (aka some alpha layers)
CUDA- GPU's - This allows you to specify which graphic card you are using, in my case I have an SLI setup and the "global setting" already allows for both to be used
Maximum Pre-rendered frames - Depending on your graphic card you select however many your card can support. If you are lagging in game or feel like it slow, lower the number
Multi-frame Sampled AA (MFAA) this is a really neat setting for NVidia graphic cards in the 900+ series. It works by re-programming coverage in sample locations across the pixels within the same frame as well as across frames. It eliminates aliasing artifacts. Check your video card manf manual to know if you have this feature.
Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration - determines how many screens you are using. I have 2 or 3 monitors (depending on work load) but for the game itself you can disable the other monitors allowing for a smoother performance so your video card is only focused on the game
Power Management- self explanatory
Shader Cache - you can reduce your CPU usage by having your game create a shader cache. If at any time you load up settings and see black textures, log out, delete the cache before reverting to changes and firing up again. You do not want to have that cache loaded up with info when you try a new setting. IN GENERAL however, you do not need to delete this and you should not try. This is only when you see black textures after making a change in your ME3 coalescd settings
Texture Filtering- anisotropic sample optimization- selecting on lowers your texture quality, selecting off improves quality but can lower performance
Texture Filtering Negative LOD bias- This is how sharp your textures can be. If you change the lod bias in your coalesced settings you have to turn this on(it is usually set to off or clamped by default). What it does is allow the use of the mipmaps on each texture, so the lower the number, the more "crisp" the detail can be. You should never set this lower than -1.5 on an ME3 game, it could cause some significant draw on your GPU.
Texture Filter Quality - this is where you select between performance and quality
Trilinear filtering- Trilinear optimization - Some of the guides recommend turning this on.. that is great, but unless you do it on your control panel, writing it in will not turn it on. This is where you turn it on. However: "The main reason is that Trilinear Filtering has a negligible performance impact on modern GPUs, even with AF applied on top of it, and if any AF is being used in a game (which is strongly recommended), then any small difference between Bilinear and Trilinear Filtering will be all but completely covered up anyway." Testing will be needed on your end to figure out which options are best
Threaded Optimization - set this to auto unless you know what you are doing. The game engine should be able to read your available threads and apply them properly
Triple Buffering- it is highly, strongly and importantly recommended that for DirectX games you do not use this setting. Buffering is for improved frame rates and DirectX games have this built in
Vertical Sync, or VSync- Use the setting for Use the 3D application. The ME3 game engine will handle this load properly
Virtual Reality pre-render - if you are not set up with virtual reality ignore this.

That is just a basic primer, to get into the meat and potatoes Please Read This. This is more in-depth and gives a deeper understanding.

Edit: Please note that for most games post 2008, it is difficult to get -1 lod bias settings to work. You need the Nvidia Inspector program to force your card/game to render that setting.

You will need to test some of these settings. Remember: some graphics are also limited by your monitor, so even if you have the latest NVidia card, your monitor needs to be adaptive, too.
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Previous

Return to How do I...?