Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

CR: Adding Levels

Technical research related to the structure of Mass Effect game files.

Re: CR: Adding Levels

Postby WarrantyVoider » 14 Jan 2014, 22:50

AVPen wrote:Most... fascinating, most fascinating indeed. :ugeek:

So using this method, would it primarily be restricted to just adding new levels/maps to the game? Or could this method be extrapolated further to add new content to the game such as new cutscenes, dialogue sequences, war assets, etc?

yup, pretty much everything :D just finding out how practical that is and writing all the new tools for generation will take alot time

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Postby AVPen » 17 Jan 2014, 21:20

yup, pretty much everything :D just finding out how practical that is and writing all the new tools for generation will take alot time

greetz WV

As I said before, most fascinating indeed. :)

Definitely keep us informed on your progress and research, cause even though doing anything complex with those techniques and tools would still be a ways off... I've got some big ideas for utilizing them, if they allow what I hope they'll allow. :ugeek:
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 17 Jan 2014, 21:54

well im in hardcore-writing-uni-paper mode, nothing big to expect from me the next 8 weeks at least, sorry

greetz WV
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby Phnx » 17 Jan 2014, 22:07

WOW!!! That's already a pretty big step towards sandbox-like gameplay or MP maps/modes in SP. Keep up the great work and thank you so much for doing and sharing this with us! :D
Phnx
User

Have thanks: 14 time

Postby AVPen » 17 Jan 2014, 22:16

well im in hardcore-writing-uni-paper mode, nothing big to expect from me the next 8 weeks at least, sorry

greetz WV

Aww, you giveth hope and doth crush it at the same time :| (kidding, I totally understand with the college papers part, can be such a pain in the @ss)

Do you then possibly have any suggestions or even directions on how others could use the methods you've found to experiment on adding new levels and/or other content to the game? (or they require tools that have yet to be added to the latest release of ME3Explorer?)
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 17 Jan 2014, 22:24

well if you cleverly use the current tools you could do alot already, use f.e. leveleditor to arrange stuff, clone dialog to create new objects and usual tools to import stuff into these, also alot hxd to import stuff from other packages by recreating the properties and other headerdata... but as I said, its still a hackers game :P

greetz WV
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby WarrantyVoider » 18 Jan 2014, 15:21

cool I found out that UDK also defines a PlayerStart0 object in its scene, so it means I could try to make maps playable that were only used by story scenes (like that crash planet) by adding one, we will see...

greetz WV

PS:also damn, I should get back at writing my paper... :P
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby WarrantyVoider » 19 Jan 2014, 22:01

ok, here comes a unsuccessfully try of myself to add a PlayerStart object

download WVTestPlanet.rar

I took the file "BioA_End003_Planet.pcc" copied it to my filename and added it to TOC, then what I have done for this:
1.cloned from an import entry with clonedialog2
2.renamed/edited it to classname "PlayerStart" by editing the header data in hxd
3.did the same with classname "Default_PlayerStart", both have class "Core" and link "Engine"
4.cloned an export entry with similar header data (I think I took BioWorldInfo)
5.renamed it to "PlayerStart0", class "PlayerStart", link "TheWorld.PersistentLevel"
6.cloned a cylinder component
7.renamed it "PlayerStart_CollisionCylinder_Class0", link "TheWorld.PersistentLevel.Player0"
8.recreated the property data in "PlayerStart0" as seen in picture, by entering hex by hand

(for any name the wasnt available I ofc added one)

result:

game refuses to load and freezes or goes endless loading loop...

aarghh

if anyone still wants to try his hands on this, get the file^^

greetz WV
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby greenflag » 26 Jan 2014, 03:38

Hi, this is amazing.
I hope it will work. It could be amazing, if fans starts make new content for the game. Maybe DLC.
greenflag
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 26 Jan 2014, 08:59

whats the difference between new content and DLC?!^^

greetz WV
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Research