Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

CR: Manipulating bink video and voice timing

Semi-technical area to discuss content modding research and discoveries. Technical information necessary for coding tools should be posted in Technical Research on the Coders board.

Re: CR: Manipulating bink video and voice timing

Postby Mimi » 25 Jan 2013, 01:17

EDIT > oooh, I didn't update TOCbin with the bik size, could that be the pb?
I doubt it... :(
Night!
Mimi
Modder

Have thanks: 3 time

Postby The Fob » 28 Jan 2013, 17:48

Ok, first sorry for the delay. Now for a few points:
1. Updating the TOC.bin is crucial here but from my experience, the video will freeze with the last loaded frame visible if the new vid is longer than the old. Anyway, updating the TOC.bin is important.
2. When I modified the epilogue, I took great care that the overall length of the epilogue scene did not change. The reason was mainly the timing of the music (which we can't really influence much at this point) but I also found that if there are issues with the time parameters (e.g. if one video does not have the same length as specifued in the pcc file), you can get really weord effects. E.g. one time when I made a mistake, all epilogue videos just started to play in random order (as in, I'd get the Normandy escape scne, then the Reaper falling on earth, then 2 epilogue slides, then the fleet flyby etc.)
I never found a variable for the overall timing of the epilogue. Not sure how that is compiled but I could image it's somewhere in the interp groups. Don't ask me where though, I got no idea.
3. I have to admit the OP is a bit out of date. I did find cases where the timing seems to be only specified in the SceneGroup objects. IIRC the epilogue videos are such cases.
4. Did you mod anything else? I had some trouble getting the Epilogue pcc streamed in correctly when I modified the catalyst scene. The level should be streamed in at the end of the catalyst firing sequence where we see the citadel (i.e. the first scene after the streaming process is the one where you can see the red energy beam flying through space and hitting the charon mass relay). If there is trouble with the streaming, you might get exactly the problem you describe without there being anything wrong with the videos themselves so make sure you truly eliminated all possible other causes for this issue before focusing entirely on the video timing and nothing else.

That's all the relevant info I can think of at the moment. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Mimi » 30 Jan 2013, 12:12

Hey Fob,

Finally got it to work, it was just the TOC.bin update that was missing, I mean once you've changed the bik files.
Other than that, the length problems are 100% solved, only needed to change the value in SFX objects as I said before :)

I'm really happy to give you this link :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0wLBA1GTY4

Still some minor issues remaining, and most of all, I'll need to recompile the bik file to make the extra vid less dark and with lower framerate, other than, immensely happy and grateful for what you guys have done.

You helped me save my Shepard :)
Mimi
Modder

Postby WarrantyVoider » 30 Jan 2013, 16:52

cool, I posted it on fb, hope you dont mind^^

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Postby The Fob » 06 Feb 2013, 02:46

Hey, glad to see you got it to work. Gereat job!

Actually, I'd like to ask you a question. Maybe you can help me out with a problem I've been having ever since I started this whole thing.
I'd be interested to know how you edit and reformat your videos. I had to use a really weird procedure to get this working and I have to use youtube (sounds silly but that's how it is) in order to get my vids back into the game, resulting in rather bad video quality, even though they are technically in HD. Here is the procedure:
I am extracting the videos and I am putting them into Adobe Premiere 5.0 for editing. After editing,I need to render them again with 1280x820 square pixels in order for them to fit. The only way I could set this was by rendering them to divx avis (all other formats I tried can only use a pal or ntsc format, not square pixels, so the videos get distorted. OK, so now I have my avi file but if I try to reconvert it to .bik with RAD tools, the program freezes when starting the conversion without an error message. I have tried reformatting the avis with about a dozen or so tools but just can't get them to work with RAD tools. The only way I could get it to work was by uploading the whole thing to youtube and re-downloading the mp4s. That's what RAD tools will convert. So I am guessing, the lack of quality occurs at the step where I use youtube (of all things) to reformat my video (although I do use the HD version of it of course).
I am not an expert with video encoding at all so if you (or anyone who sees this) could tell me how to do this properly, I'd be really grateful for any info. If possible, I'd like to find a solution that still works with Premiere because I spent quite some time to get the sequences together the way I wanted them and I'd hate to do it all over again in another program but any suggestion is welcome.
Cheers!
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Mimi » 07 Feb 2013, 17:23

The Fob wrote:Hey, glad to see you got it to work. Gereat job!

Actually, I'd like to ask you a question. Maybe you can help me out with a problem I've been having ever since I started this whole thing.
I'd be interested to know how you edit and reformat your videos. I had to use a really weird procedure to get this working and I have to use youtube (sounds silly but that's how it is) in order to get my vids back into the game, resulting in rather bad video quality, even though they are technically in HD. Here is the procedure:
I am extracting the videos and I am putting them into Adobe Premiere 5.0 for editing. After editing,I need to render them again with 1280x820 square pixels in order for them to fit. The only way I could set this was by rendering them to divx avis (all other formats I tried can only use a pal or ntsc format, not square pixels, so the videos get distorted. OK, so now I have my avi file but if I try to reconvert it to .bik with RAD tools, the program freezes when starting the conversion without an error message. I have tried reformatting the avis with about a dozen or so tools but just can't get them to work with RAD tools. The only way I could get it to work was by uploading the whole thing to youtube and re-downloading the mp4s. That's what RAD tools will convert. So I am guessing, the lack of quality occurs at the step where I use youtube (of all things) to reformat my video (although I do use the HD version of it of course).
I am not an expert with video encoding at all so if you (or anyone who sees this) could tell me how to do this properly, I'd be really grateful for any info. If possible, I'd like to find a solution that still works with Premiere because I spent quite some time to get the sequences together the way I wanted them and I'd hate to do it all over again in another program but any suggestion is welcome.
Cheers!

Hey Fob,
Oh nonoono, don't use YT, definitely.

Ah yeah, video conversion is a pain. Wanted to use Sony Vegas in the first place, but I felt it was not really the best tool for what I wanted to achieve. I used it for planning the whole thing mainly, and export the sound track.

Just for info, since I had to make frame by frame animation, I did that in Flash, and then exported the .swf as an image sequence.
Then I used RAD Video tools to convert 2 bik files + my new image sequence into the final .bik file.

But I did use .avi files during my various tests into RAD Video tools, and I didn't encounter any problems.

I'm not very familiar with Adobe Premiere, but I know from Photoshop that Adobe software is a bit picky when it comes to AVI codec.
For instant, they hate Fraps codec.

Try to check from Premiere if you have codec options?

Also, definitely, try VirtualDub, it will help you export your .avi in another .avi with a different codec, also, a lot of very convenient prost-production tools. But most of all, it's lightweight and actually pretty powerful.

Let me know if this helps a bit? But yeah, pretty sure it's a codec problem.

EDIT> also, I often use a freeware called Any Video Converter, it helped me on various occasions to get the right format.
Mimi
Modder

Previous

Return to Modders' Research