Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[SOLVED] CustTextures file limit?

User-centric area for specific questions & problems related to using ME3Explorer tools. This is not a modding "how to" area. Read the sticky before posting!

[SOLVED] CustTextures file limit?

Postby CreeperLava » 27 Jun 2016, 06:42

I'm forwarding an issue of a user here, that started happening with my latest update for ALOT ME3 (11.5 GB total in size).
The message :
Vlad717 wrote:I seem to have troubles with making it work. Upon bootup of the game I cannot space bar past the bioware intro and it just hangs on the little planet, never getting to the main screen.

I've vanillad the game, works
Removed all mods, works
Installed a lot on a clean vanilla game - not working

I traced it down to CustTextures9.tfc running TOC updater after every attempt.

When that TFC is removed from the CookedPCConsole folder the game boots up fine but when it is in the folder, it never boots.

All the CustTextures# files are 2,097,152 KB but CustTextures9.tfc is 2,116,516 KB so figured I'd try running Large Address Aware on masseffect3.exe but it made no difference.

I wonder what causes the CustTextures9 to grow higher than it should (higher than 2GB). Could this be due by a limitation in the number of CustTextures files we are allowed to create ? Like, only 10 (0 to 9) can be created, then everything breaks ? Or is this due to user error ?
In any case, I would like to know if there is any solution to the issue.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Re: CustTextures file limit ?

Postby giftfish » 27 Jun 2016, 15:17

Seems entirely possible that K didn't anticipate needing to code the generation of "CustTextures10.tfc", and simply went up to 9, yeah. The fact that it's growing larger than all the other texture files is certainly a good indication.

11.5GB of new textures is, well,... A LOT.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby CreeperLava » 27 Jun 2016, 15:21

That joke has only been done about a dozen times, gift :P. If it is confirmed that this is the issue, I may even be proud to have been the first to break the limit^^.
CreeperLava
User

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 27 Jun 2016, 17:14

From poking around the code, there is indeed a limit on CustTextures: It won't go above CustTextures9. It looks like I could increase that, but I don't know whether K had a reason for setting that limit. Would be best to ask him.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby CreeperLava » 27 Jun 2016, 19:07

Interesting, I'll send him a PM. In the meantime, is there a way for me to remove that limit and test for myself if it still works ? Where is it located in the code ?
CreeperLava
User

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 27 Jun 2016, 19:23

Drop this into your ME3Explorer folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdiuq0xlpk55pb4/KFreonLib.dll?dl=0. Should increase the limit to 50. No idea if it will work though.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby CreeperLava » 27 Jun 2016, 21:13

Thank you ! I will try installing ALOT tomorrow with this patch, we'll see how it goes.
CreeperLava
User

Postby CreeperLava » 29 Jun 2016, 15:46

I installed ALOT, and only got up to CustTextures4. However, I noticed that if I keep installing the same texture again and again, ME3Explorer seems to continue to grow the CustTextures without deleting the unused data. Thus, it keeps accumulating, at least until you reinstall ME3 and start anew. So my theory is, this user installed ALOT, then installed a newer version above it, and maybe another update afterwards, which is why he broke the limit.

I'll reinstall ALOT, see if I can go above CustTextures9.
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 29 Jun 2016, 17:07

CreeperLava wrote:I installed ALOT, and only got up to CustTextures4. However, I noticed that if I keep installing the same texture again and again, ME3Explorer seems to continue to grow the CustTextures without deleting the unused data. Thus, it keeps accumulating, at least until you reinstall ME3 and start anew. So my theory is, this user installed ALOT, then installed a newer version above it, and maybe another update afterwards, which is why he broke the limit.

Ack. That would definitely cause the problem.

This has always been how texture replacement works in the toolset. Texture data is never deleted upon replacement b/c textures are never actually "uninstalled". Instead, a new texture is added, properties are modified as needed, and files are re-pointed to the new address. The old house at the old address is still there. So, if folks are going to re-run all ALOT's TPFs, then, yeah, they'll definitely want to vanilla (plus their untexture-modded DLC mods). One TPF isn't a big deal, but all of them certainly would be.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby CreeperLava » 29 Jun 2016, 20:31

The big problem with that is people basically have to redo the whole installation process each time I release an update (which is quite often). Would it work to simply remove all CustTextures files and install ALOT as if nothing ever happened ? Or are there other links that would break if we were to do that ? Any other solutions ?
I'm letting the installation of ALOT run overnight, I'll add some more tomorrow too to get to CustTextures 10.
CreeperLava
User

Next

Return to Toolset Help