Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

DLC AFCs

Semi-technical area to discuss content modding research and discoveries. Technical information necessary for coding tools should be posted in Technical Research on the Coders board.

DLC AFCs

Postby giftfish » 27 Jul 2016, 21:53

Previous research indicated that DLC AFCs had to follow the "DLC_CON_MODNAME.afc" naming convention to function properly in DLC mods. I have now had success with non-DLC-based names.

tm_cat003_d_int.afc

This is the name of the AFC I'm now using for ThaneMOD coup-related dialogue replacements. This works perfectly inside DLC_CON_THANEMOD. It very well might be that having the "d_int" suffix is mandatory for the game to load the audio into a dialogue, I don't know. I do know that this method wasn't supposed to work. But, it seems that if you follow a naming convention like this, then it does.

I have not yet tested music with this method. My guess is that all music still needs to be packed into a "DLC_CON_NAME.afc", but it's entirely possible that using a convention like "Wwise_TMCitHub_(Non)Streaming.afc" could work.

This is great for ThaneMOD, b/c it means I can swap the same AFC between different TM DLC modules if I need to -- I don't have to change the AFC name to correspond to the DLC.

It also means that rather than dumping everything into one AFC, we can use smaller ones that are easier to work with. As I edit dialogue, I end up testing many, many versions of a line in game, and those all end up packed into the same AFC. This grows the AFC unnecessarily, b/c it becomes too labor and time-intensive to repack only the final lines into a new AFC (depending on how much other modded content is already in it). Having the ability to use smaller, discrete AFCs means modders have the option to build a final AFC for a specific convo that contains only the audio used, just like BW.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll test music, as well, but it won't be for a little while yet :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: DLC AFCs

Postby Deager » 28 Jul 2016, 13:17

I forget I've learned things that I should pass along. This is what I've done with music.

Ending Mod to CEM
I just name the afc whatever. So if someone uses the "faunts" option, the file is simply named faunts.afc.

So yeah, totally works fine.

For regular audio, for LIME, I just did 200.afc, 300, afc, etc. Granted, I should have been more descriptive since that's just begging for trouble. Right now for the new CEM I do CitCas_430Traynor.afc and that's just to keep things organized.

Deager has been thanked by:
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby giftfish » 28 Jul 2016, 13:35

Awesome. So music works too, then. That's fantastic :)

Anything you've found that doesn't work?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Deager » 28 Jul 2016, 14:35

Nothing with sound has created an issue for me yet.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Return to Modders' Research