Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Done Research: Script byte code

Technical research related to the structure of Mass Effect game files.

Re: Done Research: Script byte code

Postby FemShep » 23 Jul 2015, 07:10

Any word on the... Uh... Eastern front I guess?
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby Heff » 23 Jul 2015, 10:30

FemShep wrote:Any word on the... Uh... Eastern front I guess?

With sourceforge still not having restored SVN I haven't spent too much time on it, and work has been rather stressed out this week IRL.
I do have some progress though, with basic support for default properties, linking up the classes with their respective default property objects.

Need to sort out some lookups for array properties, and try to do it without loading the PCC's of the imports, but worst-case I'll just load the specific classes in those files and then close them.
(This is only needed for arrays because they can have dynamic types, and the type is not declared in the default prop object, so a lookup has to be done. Most of the time that's fine, except if the class/struct is actually imported so the array type is specified in another file.)

Besides that, doing testing with the unsupported bytecodes to confirm their exact behavior is left, otherwise the decompilation is fairly solid.
I'm hoping that SVN will be up this weekend so that I can try to get basic support in, as I'm going away all of next week.
Heff
Coder

Have thanks: 61 time

Postby giftfish » 23 Jul 2015, 13:58

Heff wrote:
FemShep wrote:Any word on the... Uh... Eastern front I guess?

With sourceforge still not having restored SVN I haven't spent too much time on it, and work has been rather stressed out this week IRL.
I do have some progress though, with basic support for default properties, linking up the classes with their respective default property objects.
I'm hoping that SVN will be up this weekend so that I can try to get basic support in, as I'm going away all of next week.

Wow, that's surprising.

I don't want to hijack your thread, Heff, but this is a good segue to ask something I've been wondering about SF. With the more intrusive ads that have developed over the past two years (especially those masquerading as download links) and SF on the record as injecting spyware into downloads (GIMP for Windows fiasco)... has there been any talk among devs to move to a new hosting site? Github or whatnot?
giftfish

Re: Done Researchw: Script byte code

Postby FemShep » 23 Jul 2015, 15:06

It's amazing how bad SourceForge has become. A storage fault takes the SVN down for over a week? You mean to tell me you can't restore that server from a backup with a new piece of hardware? I'm pretty sure they're lying.

The only issue I have with github is getting users to download button is not as easy as SourceForge. Also I don't think sourcefoege lets you delete your content (bastards).
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Re: Done Researchw: Script byte code

Postby giftfish » 23 Jul 2015, 15:31

FemShep wrote:It's amazing how bad SourceForge has become. A storage fault takes the SVN down for over a week? You mean to tell me you can't restore that server from a backup with a new piece of hardware? I'm pretty sure they're lying.

The only issue I have with github is getting users to download button is not as easy as SourceForge. Also I don't think sourcefoege lets you delete your content (bastards).

And now that Google Code is shutting down (stupid)... what else is there besides GitHub that's a decent site with features?

Codeplex looks decent. I don't see ads, but I run blockers, so...
giftfish

Postby Heff » 23 Jul 2015, 15:43

I started a new thread here to discuss possible alternative hosting, so this doesn't get cluttered :).
Regarding SF I can see them having problems if they have to verify the integrity of the whole storage system, with such a large amount of data/history. That said they have been gradually losing their integrity for so many years now that I wouldn't really trust anything from them.

On-topic:
What would be the most prioritized feature for a compiler?
As I see it I currently have two main ways to support:

- Creating a new class from scratch, compiling a text file and then creating objects, modifying a PCC to contain the new objects and import any needed dependencies.

- Editing an existing function, only re-compiling the bytecode and changing the relevant data points to make the Object/PCC valid.

To me the second one seems like the priority, as that could then be used to modify what classes are actually instantiated, and that way the second option could then be used along with inheriting from bioware's classes to make the needed modifications with minimal impact on the core PCC's.
Heff
Coder

Postby FemShep » 23 Jul 2015, 16:32

I'd think 2 is more priority.
I only say that because I have very little idea what 1 actually would do...

You say you're loading ArrayProperties (by class)? so we could at least know what type of object an array holds? I see lots of arrays in the interpreter but have 0 idea what any of the numbers mean in terms of editability.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby Heff » 23 Jul 2015, 16:38

FemShep wrote:I'd think 2 is more priority.
I only say that because I have very little idea what 1 actually would do...

You say you're loading ArrayProperties (by class)? so we could at least know what type of object an array holds? I see lots of arrays in the interpreter but have 0 idea what any of the numbers mean in terms of editability.

Nr 1 would basically create new classes from scratch, so that we could make scripts that are not in any way dependent on the existing ones. This would still need number 2 to actually call the new classes though, unless devs perform heavy hex edits.
So nr 2 is looking like the way forward.

Yes, I'm hoping to edit PCCEd with my data library so that all properties can be properly read and edited, but that's after decompilation is in. ArrayProperties are indeed not bundled with the data about what they actually contain, so the only way to know that is to do a lookup for the original class that contains the array and see what type the array has there.
Heff
Coder

Postby FemShep » 24 Jul 2015, 05:33

Hey Heff,
While we're waiting for SF to come back, would it be possible to dump the Patch_SFXPawn.pcc file from the Patch_001.sfar file in the Patches Folder? I found some interesting if statements in it but I can't understand it because of the reversed logic. The ImpactWithPower statement looks promising to me.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby WarrantyVoider » 24 Jul 2015, 07:30

hey guys, as much as I like your chat, could we please get this back to beeing a research thread? aka, post only facts we found out for sure and not just guesses? I mean we are already at page 5 here...

greetz WV

PS:id love to follow your research in a seperate chat, but please use the research section only for stuff we found out, thx
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section

WarrantyVoider has been thanked by:
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Research