Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

FaceFXAnimSet

Semi-technical area to discuss content modding research and discoveries. Technical information necessary for coding tools should be posted in Technical Research on the Coders board.

Re: FaceFXAnimSet

Postby Deager » 05 Jun 2016, 14:16

I think there is something practical that actually can be used from all this research. I'll attempt to explain some of the insanity here.

Now that we can shorten lines, I had one other line from CEM that was driving me nuts that I knew would be better if shortened. It was line 772653.

While preparing to shorten that line, it hit me, "Oh, line 772652 actually works if I just use that." I've done that trick before in the dialogue editor. EDIT: Actually, I've done this trick before with FaceFXAnim stuff /EDIT. It was the apartment scene with Liara as the conversation branched and she could say, "Well, I should probably go" only on one branch, so I could just use it for the second branch.

But in this case, line 772652 is already used in the scene and probably should stay there. And 772652 had edited audio as well. What to do.

I'm not saying this was the best way to go but in FaceFX I cloned 772652, renamed the Uk1, Uk3, and path to the info for 772653, and then deleted the original 772653 entry in FaceFX. And, I still replaced the audio for 772653 with the unmodded audio from 772652 to make it work to point to my custom afc. Yes, I could also have repointed the audio of the 772653 object to point to the 772652 data in the Citadel DLC afc, and that's probably a better choice, but either way, perfect lip sync for line 772653 while also being able to leave my changed audio for the scene using the original 772652 stuff.

Wow, I don't know if I even followed that. OK, well, how does shortening lines have anything to do with the concept of using animations from other lines? Simple it turns out. In the past, when replacing a line, we had to match the syllables and timing of those syllables of the existing line. Now...the floodgates open a bit. Any line that Shep says in the scene with Kasumi has Shep animation which is fair game. If I have audio that would be perfect and is short enough (lengthening lines is still a little risky depending on the situation) I now can see if any of the animations from another line look better. Shortening lines is absolutely awesome because instead of having to cut away too early and not have the mouth and head return to a neutral state, we can end an animation a little quicker to get to that neutral state so the camera cut doesn't look bad.

This is exactly why I couldn't shorten the line from Shep in the Kolyat scene because Broshep had some head movement and lip movement showing up before Femshep was done. Now that it can be controlled a bit, this allows a modder a lot more options. Depending on the scene, instead of needing to match the animation of the exact line to be replaced, we can now look at 10 to 20 lines' worth of animation, nab the animation, shorten it for either Shep as needed, or sometimes even for the NPC.

If none of that rambling made sense I'll try to show a video or something and seriously, I need to get a new mic for my desktop.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 05 Jun 2016, 14:22

Can we copy FaceFX? So if we have somebody say a line elsewhere can we copy their face fx into the new line, replace it?
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby Deager » 05 Jun 2016, 15:00

Kinkojiro wrote:Can we copy FaceFX? So if we have somebody say a line elsewhere can we copy their face fx into the new line, replace it?

Within the same file for the same character, yes. When I attempted to take the data, even copied by hand within the FaceFX editor, from one file to another, it didn't go so hot. I still have the example videos and it's a complete mess.
Deager
Modder

Postby giftfish » 05 Jun 2016, 16:49

Deager wrote:I'm not saying this was the best way to go but in FaceFX I cloned 772652, renamed the Uk1, Uk3, and path to the info for 772653, and then deleted the original 772653 entry in FaceFX. And, I still replaced the audio for 772653 with the unmodded audio from 772652 to make it work to point to my custom afc. Yes, I could also have repointed the audio of the 772653 object to point to the 772652 data in the Citadel DLC afc, and that's probably a better choice, but either way, perfect lip sync for line 772653 while also being able to leave my changed audio for the scene using the original 772652 stuff.

Memory is *extremely* hazy at this point, but I think this is the type of thing I did back when WV created the editor as I was working on Huerta. When it came to inserting new lines of dialogue. I had to clone FXA from one line to another, and then do some re-pointing and re-linking to get it to work.

Interested in exploring this new stuff and hoping Sir gets some ideas from all this info your posting to expand on the editor a bit :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Deager » 05 Jun 2016, 17:22

giftfish wrote:Memory is *extremely* hazy at this point, but I think this is the type of thing I did back when WV created the editor as I was working on Huerta. When it came to inserting new lines of dialogue. I had to clone FXA from one line to another, and then do some re-pointing and re-linking to get it to work.

Interested in exploring this new stuff and hoping Sir gets some ideas from all this info your posting to expand on the editor a bit :)

My memory was as well. When I looking at how I did the Liara scene I realized, "Oh, I've done this trick before." But the shortening of lines by cutting lip and other movement could be cool when needed. One problem I have noticed with lip syncs is if the Unknown 3 list isn't identical to the source material, weird things happen. I still can't really figure out that third list. I do know if I take something like a head roll gesture and replace it with a neutral question gesture that I overall do see that gesture...but then the lips get off somehow; it's really odd.
Deager
Modder

Postby Deager » 07 Jun 2016, 03:07

I need to make a proper tutorial because even truncating lines a little bit is now a much better option.

Deager
Modder

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 16 Aug 2016, 23:09

To anyone coming in and reading this thread and feeling like it ended before things were figured out, that's because it basically got continued here: facefxanimset-t2418.html
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Previous

Return to Modders' Research