Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Fixing DDS format, quality loss

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

Re: Fixing DDS format, quality loss

Postby giftfish » 16 Jul 2015, 13:54

I really want to know what magic hax PS has that GIMP and Paint.NET can't seem to duplicate. It drives me insane, b/c I'm not willing to pay for PS (it's expensive), and I also don't want to deal with Adobe's new "software as a service" for everything BS.

Grrrrr.
giftfish

Postby CreeperLava » 16 Jul 2015, 14:30

You could use a cracked version. I personally won't pay for a tool I will use for a few textures only^^.

PS also has it's flaws though. I came upon a normal formatted in ThreeDC. It looked nice and clear in TPF/DDS, but the conversion through PS made it fade, opaque. I have no idea why DDS are so badly supported. The huge number of formats may be in cause here, developers will deal with the most common and let the others be. For example, DirectX Tool doesn't support ThreeDC.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 16 Jul 2015, 15:20

CreeperLava wrote:You could use a cracked version. I personally won't pay for a tool I will use for a few textures only^^.

Yeah... I just can't bring myself to do that. Call me old fashioned, lol. I've never pirated a thing.
giftfish

Postby AVPen » 16 Jul 2015, 15:27

giftfish wrote:I really want to know what magic hax PS has that GIMP and Paint.NET can't seem to duplicate. It drives me insane, b/c I'm not willing to pay for PS (it's expensive), and I also don't want to deal with Adobe's new "software as a service" for everything BS.

Grrrrr.

Hence why I haven't upgraded any of my Adobe software passed the CS5 and CS6 releases, lol.
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby giftfish » 16 Jul 2015, 16:01

AVPen wrote:
giftfish wrote:I really want to know what magic hax PS has that GIMP and Paint.NET can't seem to duplicate. It drives me insane, b/c I'm not willing to pay for PS (it's expensive), and I also don't want to deal with Adobe's new "software as a service" for everything BS.

Grrrrr.

Hence why I haven't upgraded any of my Adobe software passed the CS5 and CS6 releases, lol.

It really pisses me off, actually. It's convenient for the company and annoying as hell for the consumer.

There's something I might want to do for TMv3.0 that's going to require more sophisticated video editing software than the Corel VideoStudio that I have (rotoscoping; and I love the Corel software, btw). After Effects I'm sure could do it perfectly, but A- it's crazy expensive, and B- old copies that aren't a part of "the cloud" are getting very hard to find.

Sorry for the derail, Creeper.
giftfish

Postby AVPen » 16 Jul 2015, 22:48

giftfish wrote:There's something I might want to do for TMv3.0 that's going to require more sophisticated video editing software than the Corel VideoStudio that I have (rotoscoping; and I love the Corel software, btw). After Effects I'm sure could do it perfectly, but A- it's crazy expensive, and B- old copies that aren't a part of "the cloud" are getting very hard to find.

Depending on what you need done, I may be able to help out as I have the full version of After Effect CS6 (the last release before the Cloud releases) on my workstation.
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby giftfish » 16 Jul 2015, 23:35

AVPen wrote:
giftfish wrote:There's something I might want to do for TMv3.0 that's going to require more sophisticated video editing software than the Corel VideoStudio that I have (rotoscoping; and I love the Corel software, btw). After Effects I'm sure could do it perfectly, but A- it's crazy expensive, and B- old copies that aren't a part of "the cloud" are getting very hard to find.

Depending on what you need done, I may be able to help out as I have the full version of After Effect CS6 (the last release before the Cloud releases) on my workstation.

Cool, will keep that in mind :)
giftfish

Postby prince1142011 » 16 Jul 2015, 23:44

From my own experience with Compressonator when it does a DXT5 -> DXT1 conversion, it merges the discrete alpha channel and creates a 1-bit alpha channel. I have not yet seen a texture in ME2 or ME3 that uses DXT1 with 1-bit alpha. Could that be the problem?

My own workflow for converting is to open the DDS in Photoshop, delete the alpha channel, save as a 24-bit TGA (8-bit * 3 for R,G,B), open the TGA in DirectX Texture Tool, and convert it to DXT1 with mips. Is this a workflow that can be duplicated in one of the Photoshop alternatives to test the theory?
prince1142011
User

Have thanks: 8 time

Postby CreeperLava » 17 Jul 2015, 09:32

I don't think it can't be tested with the others. Gimp doesn't have by far as many options as PS when saving the texture. It's DDS plugin is buggy and incomplete compared to Nvidia's PS plugin. I haven't tried with Paint.net, but I suppose it will be the same. Thanks for the method though, I will try it next time I need to do a conversion.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby KFreon » 22 Jul 2015, 08:23

On thread: I'm sort of hoping that my DDS/texture tools (ResIL stuff) will be helpful in this regard. The idea being that you edit/work in png with an alpha channel, then use ResIL to convert it.
Dunno if that's actually going to work or be useful, but it'll be there.

When I was editing (besides using a tootally valid version of photoshop), I worked in Paint.NET then used the compressonator or directX tools to convert to the desired texture.
That said, Paint.NET worked pretty well with DDS's most of the time.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

PreviousNext

Return to Texture Discussion