Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[Article] Getting Started

Help build and maintain the new ME3Explorer Wiki on Wikia.

[Article] Getting Started

Postby giftfish » 27 Jan 2015, 23:52

Article: Getting Started
URL: http://me3explorer.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Started

Article complete and ready for comment.

This article covers everything the user needs to know about the initial setup of the toolset and how to get help with issues. The only thing currently missing is Texplorer setup, which will be on it's own page. I've inserted a reference and link to this, however, on the page. It's the final step, so it should be straight-forward for the user to just click the link and head there to finish up.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: [Article] Getting Started

Postby KFreon » 28 Jan 2015, 07:53

Little nitpicks:
In "Stable Release", you say the alpha build is hosted on SF, then the next header is "Developer Release (alpha)".
Something else you might want to mention is that if people have problems with the stable version, try svn before complaining.
In Backup ME3, best backup DLC as well as BIOGame.
And finally, in the "Getting Help" section, probably add something about reading the Tutorial section as well as the General Help section.

Little nitpicky things, but overall good :D
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby giftfish » 28 Jan 2015, 15:16

KFreon wrote:Little nitpicks:
In "Stable Release", you say the alpha build is hosted on SF, then the next header is "Developer Release (alpha)".
Something else you might want to mention is that if people have problems with the stable version, try svn before complaining.
In Backup ME3, best backup DLC as well as BIOGame.
And finally, in the "Getting Help" section, probably add something about reading the Tutorial section as well as the General Help section.

Cool, thanks for the input. Will do momentarily :)

EDIT: Done. I fixed the Download section and made the requested tweaks to the Getting Help area.
giftfish

Postby giftfish » 22 Jun 2015, 14:35

FYI, this page is also getting some tweaks as I work on the Texplorer article.

--The SVN section has been cleaned up a bit and some new screenshots added. I don't really get the "compiling" thing, so please check my tech-speak and let me know if I've explained that wrong.

--New section on turning off Origin Updates for games.
--New section on vanillaing. Troubleshooting article now contains a link to this, along with some additional information.
--New section on installing mods. This will grow a little bit yet.
--New section on uninstalling mods. Will be adding this today.
giftfish

Postby CreeperLava » 22 Jun 2015, 16:17

I saw you linked the DLC DLL Patch via mediafire, are you aware that mediafire will block the link after 10 downloads ? Unless you have a premium account of course. They have also strengthened their bots against copyright infringement, I saw many files being taken down for unclear reasons. You might want to offer an alternative :).
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 22 Jun 2015, 17:33

CreeperLava wrote:I saw you linked the DLC DLL Patch via mediafire, are you aware that mediafire will block the link after 10 downloads ? Unless you have a premium account of course. They have also strengthened their bots against copyright infringement, I saw many files being taken down for unclear reasons. You might want to offer an alternative :).

Uh, that's the same link that WV has on this forum; it's not my link, per se.

Apparently he has a premium account?
giftfish

Postby CreeperLava » 22 Jun 2015, 17:46

He probably has, yes, seeing the number of users who must have downloaded it. An idea could be to provide, not only in this particular case, but as a general rule, a link to the original topic. For instance, a link to the DLL topic. As a backup, so that in case anything goes wrong with the file in itself, the user has at least something to begin searching by himself.
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 22 Jun 2015, 18:11

CreeperLava wrote:He probably has, yes, seeing the number of users who must have downloaded it. An idea could be to provide, not only in this particular case, but as a general rule, a link to the original topic. For instance, a link to the DLL topic. As a backup, so that in case anything goes wrong with the file in itself, the user has at least something to begin searching by himself.

Sure, I can do that. I'll put a reference at the bottom of the article next time I edit :]

giftfish

Postby CreeperLava » 22 Jun 2015, 18:32

Are there regular backups of the wiki ? Just in case something bad happens, like harmful edits or any server-side problem. I suppose there are, but you better be safe than sorry^^.
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 22 Jun 2015, 18:54

CreeperLava wrote:Are there regular backups of the wiki ? Just in case something bad happens, like harmful edits or any server-side problem. I suppose there are, but you better be safe than sorry^^.

All that is handled on Wikia's end. If I remember right, there's no way to download your own backup copy; they don't allow it.

As far as site defacing, it happens from time-to-time, especially with popular pages. Wikia keeps multiple backups for every article, and each can be reverted to previous versions prior to specific edits -- a little bit like restore points in Windows.

In the event that an article gets repeatedly defaced, it can be locked by the wiki admins (myself and Fog), or by the Wikia admins.

Generally, it's a pretty robust system. Much more so than the old wiki.
giftfish

Next

Return to Wiki Development