Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Help Index of Forum Resources

Dedicated area for content modders to help each other with technical aspects of modding the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Re: Help Index of Forum Resources

Postby giftfish » 13 Oct 2013, 01:05

The Fob wrote:Well, there you have it. This will now be my ME3Explorer forums homepage. Thanks HEAPS giftfish. If I could "like" your OP twice, I would have.

Awww. /blush

So glad it's helpful to you :]
giftfish

Postby The Fob » 14 Oct 2013, 02:48

Hey, is there a page on adding new War Assets to the game? I thought I remember seeing it somewhere and that you guys did that for the Thane mod as well.
Couldn"t find it in the OP though. nor in my quick forum search so maybe I am mistaken.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby giftfish » 14 Oct 2013, 23:59

The Fob wrote:Hey, is there a page on adding new War Assets to the game? I thought I remember seeing it somewhere and that you guys did that for the Thane mod as well.
Couldn"t find it in the OP though. nor in my quick forum search so maybe I am mistaken.

Hrm, I don't think so. HJF4 did that part, so I can't make a tutorial for it -- well, I sort of can. It depends on how you want to award them. If you want to link it to an email, like we did, that's the part I can't explain. But, if you just want to link it to a plot bool or something, that is easier. We're actually troubleshooting something with that right now, lol..

Which direction were you thinking, Fob?
giftfish

Postby The Fob » 15 Oct 2013, 00:50

Well, actually, I don't really want to create a war asset at all. :)
I just want to look up plot bools, that are associated with different war assets, so that I can use these plot bools for other conditional checks. All I really need is to find the "list" (if it is something like that), that stores the war assets, their string IDs (so I can find out which one it is) and their related plot bools. From what you wrote, it sounds like you might be able to help me out with that.
The Fob
Modder

Postby Emeraldfern » 15 Oct 2013, 02:31

Some parts of the WA information can be found in the Coalesced.bin (Their GUIDescription, imagepath):

bioui.ini->sfxgame->gawassethandler->allassets

Note: GAW = "Galaxy At War" the dev name for War Assets.

Sadly, the bools are not kept there. :/

I do know that the conditionals for the WAs that are triggered by email can be found inside the BioD_Nor.pcc. After looking quickly at the Sequence, I can see the following WA inside:

Bool Bool Description*

2218 = Dalatrass? (Betrayed Breeder???)
2222 = Feron (Shadowbroker Agents-I think)
2216 = Wrex (MassiveExplosion???)
2217 = Wreav (MassiveExplosionA???)

(I'm not including the one we modded in ftr)

*/ I haven't played ME3 in a while so I don't remember which exact WA the above are-so the parenthesis is a guesstimate based on their properties tbh.

My guess is that the others are located in a .pcc that is connected to the War Room.
Emeraldfern
User

Have thanks: 6 time

Postby The Fob » 15 Oct 2013, 04:35

Thanks Emeraldfern. That's definitely a good starting point. I'll have a look and see what I can find.
The Fob
Modder

Postby Ottemis » 15 Oct 2013, 15:45

giftfish wrote:
Ottemis wrote:In short, you're linking to potentially broken mods without a disclaimer and the list is incomplete.

First, Ottemis, please understand that I created the OP at the request of Ren. I am by no means an expert in most of this stuff, and I haven't done any texture modding in ME3. I have already added your links from 12 Sept, and was quite happy to do so -- your tutorial is excellent.

Second, if there is a specific link in the OP you think should be removed, you are going to have to be clearer with me about what that link is. Are you saying I should remove all specific texture mod links I've included, as well as mention of the cabin picture mod? What about the other mods I've listed? If these textures/mods are no longer functional, then I'm happy to remove them. It is not my area of expertise to determine which are broken and which work, that's information I need from members of the community like yourself. Also, if that's the case, it seems to me they should also be added to a new entry in the wiki with a list of outdated/nonfunctional ME3 mods, advising players to use those mods at their own risk. Then again, from what I can tell much of the wiki needs revamping...

Anyhoo...as far as the cabin mod, I'd love to hear what you know about the functionality of that mod because we've integrated something similar into ThaneMOD and have been having weird issues with some users getting black textures. And that is with the most recent version of ME3Exp and our own edits of the .pcc in question. Emerald has been preparing a post for a little while, as we've been troubleshooting various fixes.

I did specifically state (in the spoiler) that the list of posts (including listed texture mods and other mods) is _not_ exhaustive. For the most part I simply selected the more "popular" research/how-to related posts on the forum, as they were the most logical ones to include in the OP. I thought it would also be nice to include links for the most popular texture mods and some other notable mods, since many users come here for those. If you prefer I not list any, then that makes my life easier, and I'll remove them. If you want specific ones added, insert the links into a post, and I will add them to the OP.

Also, just to be clear, the OP of this thread is not meant to substitute for the wiki (also stated under the spoiler). It's simply to help people find information on the forums more easily .

I know you added the 12 sept links, the reason I mentioned that posting is because I said there that the wiki list was outdated and that the guide contained an updated list ready to be copied over. Wouldn't cost you must effort, as I already went to scour the internet for them. These are all texture and Meshmods for ME3, not content-mods. I didn't expect you to know, that's why I'm offering the information. I understand this post isn't supposed to replace the wiki, and linking to it makes perfect sense but seeing broken mods come back to the bugreport section and my various personal inboxes not only here but on the BSN and Tumblr as well, having disclaimers and consistent information across the board would save me (and admins like KFreon) a lot of time dealing with these problems. These reports are logically separated from content mod errors, which mostly end up in threads specific to them.

And I get you don't want to get into updating the wiki, neither do I as I don't consider it my domain and I keep myself busy enough writing tutorials and creating texture and mesh mods. Having said that, it looks like I might have to because I don't think anyone else is anymore to any large degree and the outdated info has already generated issues which cost me and others time to address as well. So after mauling it over for a bit let's conclude I'll have a stab at the list on the wiki if you keep this listing up, you're linking to it already so that should work out and I'll add all appropriate warnings myself.

As to the Cabin mod, it was created back in Feb and seeing it's a content mod I can't and don't know how it was built and/or where problems are coming from other than recognizing that it's triggering an error that is no longer triggered by mods created with the post-August REVs. Namely running this mod can remove the Custtextures0.tfc entry from the TOC.bin and break Texplorer's ability to apply mods. We've only seen this happen with the broken REV mods since now, and I've only had reports of this happening, not tested this myself as it's not my mod.
But as with all other problems when installing mods, there is NO guarantee for pre-August mods and backwards compatibility pre is not guaranteed. Ideally mods get updated by their creators but seeing so many are inactive, this is sparsely happening. As I haven't created it and it's not a simple texture mod, I don't know what triggered the error nor how to fix it. I'm not a coder either and I don't think we ever really pinpointed the bug that caused the TOC.bin entry to be lost, it was fixed in one of the passes while solving other bugs as I understood it.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby giftfish » 15 Oct 2013, 19:20

Ottemis wrote:I know you added the 12 sept links, the reason I mentioned that posting is because I said there that the wiki list was outdated and that the guide contained an updated list ready to be copied over. Wouldn't cost you must effort, as I already went to scour the internet for them. These are all texture and Meshmods for ME3, not content-mods.

Ok, removing the few that I mention and will simply include a note to look at your tutorial for a list of current ones that are known to work.

Ottemis wrote:And I get you don't want to get into updating the wiki, neither do I as I don't consider it my domain and I keep myself busy enough writing tutorials and creating texture and mesh mods. Having said that, it looks like I might have to because I don't think anyone else is anymore to any large degree and the outdated info has already generated issues which cost me and others time to address as well. So after mauling it over for a bit let's conclude I'll have a stab at the list on the wiki if you keep this listing up, you're linking to it already so that should work out and I'll add all appropriate warnings myself.

Sounds good. Once you get the wiki updated, let me know and then I know I can link it -- something like that would be especially good for texture mods, since so many people come here looking for help with them.

Ottemis wrote:As to the Cabin mod, it was created back in Feb and seeing it's a content mod I can't and don't know how it was built and/or where problems are coming from other than recognizing that it's triggering an error that is no longer triggered by mods created with the post-August REVs. Namely running this mod can remove the Custtextures0.tfc entry from the TOC.bin and break Texplorer's ability to apply mods. We've only seen this happen with the broken REV mods since now, and I've only had reports of this happening, not tested this myself as it's not my mod.

Well, this doesn't seem to be our particular problem. We modified our .pcc from the vanilla since August and some users are getting black textures. Seems to be due to a strange interaction of things.

At any rate, I'll remove it from the list of mods. The others don't involve textures (as far as I can tell), so I'll leave them up until someone tells me they no longer function reliably.
giftfish

Previous

Return to Modders' Help