Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Help Setting Up Mods over Steam

Basic questions on how to achieve certain modding goals with the toolset. Texture and mesh-related questions have their own subforum. Answers not guaranteed.

Help Setting Up Mods over Steam

Postby Sil » 21 Aug 2016, 17:12

Hey,

I wasn't sure where to put this as it's not technically fitting the How To subform as it isn't help about making mods, but I'm very new to actually setting them up and as I've found a bunch of mods I'd like to use, I've no idea which order to install them. If someone would like to chat to me on Steam, could you let me know and I'll PM you my steam so you can add me, or I add you I guess, so I can be taught how to! I have looked at the files people give for how to install, but there are so many I'd like added that I'm unsure how to do it.

The mods I'd picked out are:

- Expanded Galaxy Mod (v0.916, also got; 0.9.1 Hotfix 7, EGM-Thanemod v2 compatibility pack, BackOff Compatibility pack) - exe files
- Thane Mod 2.0F
- Ashley Legacy Project (v2 and v2DLC)
- BackOff (v1.0-412-1-0, v1.1 Update-412-1-1, BOPatches_v1.0-412-Patch)
- ME3Recalibrated v1.1-411-1-1
- Extended Anderson Conversation 2.0-173-2-0 (exe file)
- Grunt - Aralakh Commander-403-1-0
- Casual Jack (v1.2)-340-1-2
- Miranda - Arena Armor (version 1.1)-341-1-1
- Miranda - Horizon Armor (version 1.1)-341-1-1
- Restored Zaeed Conversation v3 - BackOff Compatible-245-3
- SP Controller Support 1.092-407-1-092
- ALOT

Once I've installed these, I'd like to learn to mod as well, but this is the very first step :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, I've got all the DLC except for Genesis 2 DLC, which is pointless for me to have.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Re: Help Setting Up Mods over Steam

Postby giftfish » 21 Aug 2016, 17:59

Going to move your post to "How do I...", since it's a help request, but unrelated to the toolset directly.

A few key points:

1. Ashley Legacy Project is incompatible with any DLC mods that modify Ashley's files, as all .mod files are. There's a solution on the wiki, but it's not easy and is prone to error. Consider yourself forewarned, lol.
2. Extended Anderson Convo will override the included files in ThaneMOD. This is fine. If you really want to remove TM's version of these files, you can. I think there's something in the Salvage section on the TM forums about this.
3. I don't suggest ThaneMOD v2.0F unless you want to do something particular that A-E doesn't achieve (like only have modified Huerta dialogue). Since you're not using an ending mod, you should use A/B/C, depending on if you want the expanded lore. A=no expanded lore, B=friend, C=romance.
4. I can't guarantee the SP Controller mod is compatible with TM, BO, or ME3Re. I don't use it and I'm not willing to support compatibility for it on my end. It might break a bunch of stuff in my mods, it might not. I have no idea. With BO it will be especially hard to tell at if it is breaking anything.

As far as Steam; I have no idea. Only thing I run through Steam is Skyrim :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Sil » 21 Aug 2016, 18:12

Ah, sorry for putting it in the wrong place. :)

1. Yeeeaaaaah....I'd love the new Ash stuff to be added, but if it's that bad I'll pass for now. I'll attempt it again once I'm more proficient with modding this game. :)
2. I'll take a look at that. It's not essential to have, I just liked the sound of it. We'll see if I bother.
3. I went for ThaneMod F because it mentioned it being the full mod. But since I only play broShep, would you recommend I get the B version then? As I've no need of the romance content.
4. Ah... that's worrying... there are so many problems with the game that those solve, but I cannot play this game with keyboard and mouse. :(
Sil
User

Postby giftfish » 21 Aug 2016, 18:35

Sil wrote:Ah, sorry for putting it in the wrong place. :)

1. Yeeeaaaaah....I'd love the new Ash stuff to be added, but if it's that bad I'll pass for now. I'll attempt it again once I'm more proficient with modding this game. :)
2. I'll take a look at that. It's not essential to have, I just liked the sound of it. We'll see if I bother.
3. I went for ThaneMod F because it mentioned it being the full mod. But since I only play broShep, would you recommend I get the B version then? As I've no need of the romance content.
4. Ah... that's worrying... there are so many problems with the game that those solve, but I cannot play this game with keyboard and mouse. :(

A couple other follow ups:

2. To be clear, TMv2.0 contains an old version of Extended Anderson Convo. I highly recommend the mod, and that you use the new version outside of ThaneMOD.
3. TM F is the full manual version. It's there explicitly for folks who want a module combination not present in vA-E. If you want the expanded lore (Thane survives Keprals, emails, war assets, edited Huerta dialogue), then you want v2.0B.
4. You can ask the authors of the Controller mod for clarification, but I highly doubt they've tested their mod with a full PT of TM + BO + ME3Re. If they have, and can guarantee it works, then great. If not, then , well, you might have problems.

Playing with a keyboard and mouse is great, but it does take some getting used to at first. Some folks find the transition harder than others :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Sil » 21 Aug 2016, 18:44

2. Yeah, I liked the sound of it. I'll try and add it in, once I learn how ^^
3. Ah.. that makes sense. I'll grab the 2.0B version then. :D
4. I think I'm going to have to ask him, it's either that or I have to avoid using TM, BO and ME3Re which will be upsetting.

Controllers are the most comfortable way of playing games for me, I'm a long-term pc gamer so I'm used to pc controls but controllers just feel right to me, especially for story-based games as I can sit back, chill out on the couch as I play, rather than hunched over a desk. The only games I won't use controller for on PC are strategy games, as I've yet to find one that plays well with a controller. I couldn't play ME3 with a keyboard and mouse, well, I could do it but I don't want to be hunched over a desk playing it. I've tried and I hated doing it, that's partly why it's taken so long to buy the games for PC. I love the modding but couldn't stand the controls, that was until the SP controller mod arrived :)
Sil
User

Postby FemShep » 27 Aug 2016, 14:25

You can generate compatibility packs for the controller mod in mod manager that will make it work with just about any mod. It promotes the second file in mount priority succession and transplants the GUI files.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Return to How do I...?