Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

hiding a mesh prevents audio?

Dedicated area for content modders to help each other with technical aspects of modding the Mass Effect Trilogy.

hiding a mesh prevents audio?

Postby Deager » 08 Nov 2015, 16:28

I was going to release the other version of LIME on N7 day but a bizarre issue, at least to me, has cropped up.

I have the guardian starbrat hidden but, I have a character trying to say two lines. Those two lines are silent from BioD_End002_400Guardian_LOC_INT.pcc. It turns out, that when I removed BioD_End002_500Choice.pcc, then the dialogue works, but then the kid is back as that's the file I need to hide him in.

After doing lots of testing, from file BioD_End002_500Choice.pcc, if I tweak objects 1984 and 75 OR 1984 and 98, the kid will disappear, but then the audio won't play. I have no idea why an actor not being there would cause audio to fail.

Now, the only way I know to remove the sfxstuntactor is to put zeros for the mesh stuff which then leads to no name being listed. I initially didn't realize that it's the Entry list, not Name list, it's pulling from. Not sure if that matters at all, really.

But I'm completely stuck and baffled. I'd be fine moving the object to a totally different location to hide him that way or if it's possible to "scale" him to a microscopic dot, I'd do that too. Or if there's another technique I should be using I'm all ears.

Anybody out there have an idea for solving this one? The mod is sooooo close to being done.

Thanks,
Deager
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Re: hiding a mesh prevents audio?

Postby Kinkojiro » 08 Nov 2015, 23:02

Without looking directly at what you are editing it sounds like the problem is the actor is not there. The way I understand dialogue is they need an actor (I guess for sound direction etc). It doesn't have to be visible but still needs to be in the level and working.

For example with a radio actor (poi) you can hide the poi but the vocals will still sound like they are coming from that point. What you need is a bool property "bHidden" set to true on the SFXStuntActor. The actor has to be set as active however.

Kinkojiro has been thanked by:
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby Deager » 08 Nov 2015, 23:10

Kinkojiro wrote:For example with a radio actor (poi) you can hide the poi but the vocals will still sound like they are coming from that point. What you need is a bool property "bHidden" set to true on the SFXStuntActor. The actor has to be set as active however.

Thanks. So basically, if I don't see the option for bHidden on the SFXStuntActor, I should try to find an object from a file which does, create my own object via hex at the end of the file (since it will probably be bigger in size) and then I should be good to go. I'll give that a try.
Deager
Modder

Postby Kinkojiro » 09 Nov 2015, 00:20

Deager wrote:
Kinkojiro wrote:For example with a radio actor (poi) you can hide the poi but the vocals will still sound like they are coming from that point. What you need is a bool property "bHidden" set to true on the SFXStuntActor. The actor has to be set as active however.

Thanks. So basically, if I don't see the option for bHidden on the SFXStuntActor, I should try to find an object from a file which does, create my own object via hex at the end of the file (since it will probably be bigger in size) and then I should be good to go. I'll give that a try.

Don't create your own object! The SFXStuntActors are horrendously complex and need to be added to the level and need archetypes etc. Edit the object to add the property. Just in case and for anybody else here is how to add the property.
Spoiler:
Open the file in PCCEd2. Go the stuntactor 1984. Interpret. You see there is an existing bool "bCausesPlayerPortArms" . Best to copy that and edit it into a hidden property.

Export (Debug => GetCompleteDump) and open the resulting bin in HxD or Hex editor of choice. Keep the Interpreter open - you can see 8E to A7 are that bool property hex. Go back to HxD copy 8E to A6 inclusive. Open a new tab in HxD and paste. Now change the property from "bCausesPlayerPortArms" to "bHidden". To do this go to the name list in PCC Editor 2.

"bCausesPlayerPortArms" is 60 which is hex 3C 00 00 00
"bHidden" is not in the list so add the name e.g. 1784 which is F8 06 00 00

In your new tab in HXD replace 3C 00 00 00 with F8 06 00 00

Copy this and paste them back in the HxD tab your originally copied them from just before the last "A3 04 00 00".

Save and in PCCEd2 select 1984 SFXStuntActor. Replace the object with the new bin and hey presto we have a setting for bHidden.

Kinkojiro has been thanked by:
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby Deager » 09 Nov 2015, 00:51

Sweet. Brat is gone from the first scene. For some reason the dolt shows up during "the choice" so I have to figure out why that happens. I'm already working with the 500 file but, at least the "conversation" is working.

EDIT: Already solved. Skipped by "toggle hidden" for "end002" object back in 400.pcc file. Just have a little odd ghost effect showing up during the shooting and working on that now. And then it's final testing and the version of LIME I was mainly working on can be released.

EDIT2: Yes! Easy disconnect of end002 (the kid) in 510Red to get rid of the ghost effect. Now I'm on to final testing!
Deager
Modder

Return to Modders' Help