Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

how to change the music in MEHEM

General references and tutorials not related to textures, meshes, or content modding.This board is locked and will be archived once transferred to the wiki. New content should be posted directly to the wiki.

how to change the music in MEHEM

Postby Deager » 28 Jan 2014, 00:33

Mr Fob wrote a good tutorial here
post560.html#p560

But for those of us who aren't too good at hex editing (that includes me) following the instructions can get a little daunting. Before you read this, you need to read the instructions at the above link to get an idea of what's going on. There are a ton of things to consider, using wwise to get your sound set to import, getting it imported into the sfx file, yadda, yadda. But, if you got to the point where you understand getting sound files into an afc file but just can't figure out how to find the right places in a hex editor and which bytes to copy for music, this tutorial/summary may help.

OK, so some people want different music for the battle scenes or even the end credits. I'm specifically going to cover changing the music during the first part of MEHEM really kicking in; with Joker saying "No!" and Fob showing up to help Shepard. But the concept should work for other changes.

Where I got tripped up in Fob's instructions was steps 7 and 8. But here's how I got around it. Using HxD, I compared the BioSnd_End002.pcc from the manual install of MEHEM with the BioSnd_End002.pcc from the Julia OST folder since I know they use different music. The first difference it found was, you guessed it, right after a RIFF. And, to save time, I searched for the next RIFF forward (RIFF in hex: 52 49 46 46 ) and could see that both files also were different up to that point pretty much. It happens to be this range of bytes: 154369 to 1559D4

Now, I had no idea if this was the song I wanted changed but it turns out it was. My hunch is the next set that's different after a RIFF would be the music for the second part of MEHEM, when the Normandy pulls a sweet 180 to shoot back.

So, I kept the BioSnd_End002.pcc from the Julia OST open and then opened the DLC_CON_END_SFX.afc file and started searching for at least 10 bytes worth of what I found in the BioSnd_End002.pcc file. I then searched for the final 10 bytes worth of what I found in the BioSnd_End002.pcc file. The range was 36FEF6A to 37005C4.

Now, I knew what to find in my own DLC_CON_END_SFX.afc file I custom made. I'd just copy the bytes from 36FEF6A to 37005C4 and then slap those into the BioSnd_End002.pcc file. And low and behold, it worked.

I'm not really going to be much help since I'm not very good at this stuff but I'm hoping that me posting this thread will maybe help a few others get unstuck.

For those who want to change the ending credit music, my guess is that you could compare the original Bioware afc file against the one from MEHEM and with a little trial and error can figure it out.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Re: how to change the music in MEHEM

Postby JohnP » 29 Jan 2014, 03:33

Good job.

Out of curiosity, what did you change the music to?
JohnP
Modder

Have thanks: 132 time

Postby Deager » 30 Jan 2014, 01:24

Well, I ended up going a little nuts and changed MEHEM a fair amount. My OCD on this stuff will be obvious while I explain this. I used the heal shep, always hug, and skip stargazer scene hex edits for this one plus skipping the rescue scene.

You may not want to sit through the whole ending but I cannot wait to finish my current game to this ending. Even all the credit music has me looking forward to sitting through to the end.

music changes
- mus_endgm2_combat_3b_low is used for the first part of it.
I'm not positive when in the end game of ME2 it happens but it seemed right for this. Slight edit on when the song ended by moving a final drum beat earlier. Timing ended up perfect for the scene.

- The epilogue when Hackett speaks is now the ME3 main menu music, also used during first part of Shepard speech at end.
This one I had to change the pitch to match the key of the song it fades into. Goldwave actually does a good job of this as long as I don't preserve the length.

- For the credits I mixed it up quite a bit. I used the original credits music to start but was able to move the precredit music to the end of it to actually have the song end and not fade off. Then I went with the opening song to ME2 when rebuilding Shepard which is followed by my favorite, the unveiling of the SR2 in ME2. The final song is from the Citadel DLC "waking up" which I also added the closing notes to as well.

Like I said, I cannot wait to actually play through to this ending. I am soooo pumped.
http://youtu.be/4XEaoS8iSbk
Deager
Modder

Postby JohnP » 31 Jan 2014, 02:59

Watched this. Very good. I quite like it. I've struggled for a while to find music that works for the destroy epilogue (I really dislike that music) and I think what you did works great.
JohnP
Modder

Have thanks: 132 time

Postby Deager » 31 Jan 2014, 16:47

JohnP wrote:Watched this. Very good. I quite like it. I've struggled for a while to find music that works for the destroy epilogue (I really dislike that music) and I think what you did works great.

Thanks. I did share it just in case other people liked at least some of my ideas.

I'm totally with you on the epilogue music. It wasn't inappropriate exactly, but something about the somewhat military sound to it seemed not right for summing up about 150 hours of working hard for your team. I also just like that song because I used it for the first part of the goodbye scene in CEM as well.

EDIT: With Fob's ok, my version is available if people want it.
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/197/?
Deager
Modder

Postby TheViper823x » 02 Feb 2014, 23:13

I'm really bad at ME3Explorer ,I want to try this . but If something goes wrong ,game will crash right ?
TheViper823x

Postby Blad3Zer0 » 02 Feb 2014, 23:30

TheViper823x wrote:I'm really bad at ME3Explorer ,I want to try this . but If something goes wrong ,game will crash right ?

Using ME3Explorer is like using a flamethrower in some cases. There are times when it does the trick, other times you have to watch for backsplash...and if you don't practice, you could blow yourself up.
Blad3Zer0
User

Have thanks: 28 time

Postby Deager » 03 Feb 2014, 00:37

TheViper823x wrote:I'm really bad at ME3Explorer ,I want to try this . but If something goes wrong ,game will crash right ?

There are some instructions already for audio work here.
mass-effect-3-audio-import-guide-t409.html

It is a bit of a process but you can get setup with the software necessary to edit audio files and prepare them for import into the game. Backup files you're going to mess with and give it a try.
Deager
Modder

Postby TheViper823x » 04 Feb 2014, 02:47

thank you :)
TheViper823x

Postby TheViper823x » 25 Feb 2014, 18:00

I tried to add my own music in MEHEM I was okay with wwise part until I saw its about converstations in game,I was watching Mr.Fob's audio import guide video but I didnt understand the to-do list .I'm grateful for help but what should I do first ? For MEHEM I only need to change EC not vanilla game ,right ? (maybe I'm wrong)
I mean I saw these links
mass-effect-3-audio-import-guide-t409.html
post2883.html#p2883
post560.html#p560
dlc-editing-replace-sound-and-stay-authorized-t132.html
I got confused,dont want to bother but I want to know what comes first and last ?
TheViper823x

Next

Return to General References and Tutorials