Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Ideas about EDI and Allers

User-centric area to discuss ideas and request mods. Toolset modders may also float ideas for new mods here; if pursued, the thread can be relocated to Mods in Development.

Re: Ideas about EDI and Allers

Postby Sil » 12 Jul 2016, 09:21

[quote="sansuni"]You must be joking.. How is someone, and we are talking about only a single person here, knowing someone else from the same line of work would make the universe in any way small?

According to the already existing lore, by the time ME3 takes place, they are both working for the Alliance News Network. (Either due to war or some other reason.) And it would be natural if they somehow met at the headquarters or whatever. (Considering they both work at the same news company)

Also, it is somewhat essential to alter her lines in some fashion. (either by omitting some lines as Giftfish suggested or by some other manner) And adding one or two lines to make her feel more like she is part of this universe is a must. (rather than a gimmick to get better reviews)

For one thing, some of her lines suck, they sound like they were written on the spot (possibly by Jessica Chobot) And I mean, they really suck. Battlespace? "Battletits" anyone?

Not joking at all, it's very easy for games, books, etc. to make their stories feel small by having too many connections between characters even when they're star systems apart. It's not necessarily bad, in many cases it's fine, but anything that ties one character to another, especially in a galaxy-wide story, needs to be done carefully. An Emily Wong comment by Allers could work, if they are both working for the Alliance News Network which I honestly can't remember so I'll take your word for it, but it would have to be done carefully and responsibly to make it work.

When it comes to omitting lines, or rewriting those that are already there to make more sense, then that's fine. Omitting lines actually reduces the amount of work a potential new voice actress would have to do, so it makes it more likely that such a mod could be completed and could be done so in a quicker turnaround. It's when -adding- brand new lines that it makes harder to get the mod made as you need to find a voice actress who will do those extra lines. The more lines to voice, the harder to get them voiced. I still stand by my comment that adding a line about Emily Wong is secondary to actually fixing Allers, but if a line about her is going to be added then all I can say is to make sure that it isn't just a throwaway comment just to get her name mentioned, as it'd feel a bit... well, ****. Any added line about her needs to be handled carefully. :)

[quote="sansuni"]Maybe someone can add a video of her in the background or something. (Like in ME2) But without voice acting to back even that up, it would leave something to be desired.

[quote="sansuni"]I think that you are missing the point entirely. We don't want her dead. We are still kind of upset how they replaced her with Dianna Allers and offed her over twitter.

There are other ways that the video in the background could work, and the promotional material could tie into them as well. If I remember rightly, the promotional material had her craft shot down on Earth and then it went blank, there was no actual confirmation that she died but it was heavily assumed that she was. Bear in mind that it's been a long time, so I'm dragging out these memories of the event, so cut me a little slack if I'm wrong! :D.

My suggestion would be to add that promotional material to the game via an email. First of all you get to know that something bad has happened to her and so the player isn't too shocked when they don't run into her, maybe they're even a little saddened by the fact she's not there. Then, later, a news story is added in (as I believe those play during the game in certain places) that says they have have had confirmation that Emily Wong is alive and still on Earth. Later after that, another one says that she'll be speaking to them live from Earth later that evening, although we, the players, never hear it. In the space of an email and two news messages, players go from hearing that a character they remember from previous games is dead, to having a tiny piece of good news in that she's alive, and then knowing she's continued to remain so through the war. Any comment you add to Allers regarding Emily Wong would then serve to enhance the effect of those messages. Also, the benefits of using that news service is that you could use any voice actor/actress to do it, as the news isn't hosted by just one anchor but many, so it wouldn't be beyond reason to have a different voice giving the news out. It's an just an idea for how her supposed death could be rewritten without actually taking away the event that caused it, we just change the outcome of her craft going down.

Remember, with the news stories, we don't even need to see Emily Wong. We spoke to her a few times in ME1, but in ME2 she's just delivering the news over those tv screens. This content would give her a presence in the story, even if it's just that she's mentioned once or twice as being alive.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby The Fob » 12 Jul 2016, 16:56

Sil wrote:Not joking at all, it's very easy for games, books, etc. to make their stories feel small by having too many connections between characters even when they're star systems apart. It's not necessarily bad, in many cases it's fine, but anything that ties one character to another, especially in a galaxy-wide story, needs to be done carefully. An Emily Wong comment by Allers could work, if they are both working for the Alliance News Network which I honestly can't remember so I'll take your word for it, but it would have to be done carefully and responsibly to make it work.

While I generally agree with this sentiment (I aklso don't like too many characters knowing each other in a huge setting), I think this would work for the new reporter and Wong because they would have good reasons to know each other. I would even introduce the new reporter in such a way that s/he is seeking out Shepard on Wong's advice. In that case, not only is the connection established but it also explains why this person is waiting in the Normandy's docking bay specifically (whereas with Allers, it seemed rather random "Oh look, there is Shepard").

On a general note, Shamus Young has IMO a nice take on how those kinds of serendipitous connection can work and how they shouldn't work.
Compare Tali in the beginning of ME2 to Garrus in the beginning of ME3 (yes, finally ME3 did something better :)). I would completely agree with him on this and I'd say the Wong connection would definitely go more into the Garrus direction.

Just my two cents on the matter.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Sil » 26 Aug 2016, 21:10

Here's an idea to improve Diana Allers content. Someone mods her content so If you choose to kick her off the ship, then we see Javik hauling her to the airlock and throwing her out of it.

It'll be one of the highest downloaded mods on nexus.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby giftfish » 26 Aug 2016, 23:17

Sil wrote:Here's an idea to improve Diana Allers content. Someone mods her content so If you choose to kick her off the ship, then we see Javik hauling her to the airlock and throwing her out of it.

It'll be one of the highest downloaded mods on nexus.

I would pay for this mod.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Previous

Return to Mod Ideas and Requests