Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Ideas about EDI and Allers

User-centric area to discuss ideas and request mods. Toolset modders may also float ideas for new mods here; if pursued, the thread can be relocated to Mods in Development.

Ideas about EDI and Allers

Postby sansuni » 07 Jul 2016, 00:12

It is really late and I am a bit bored, so I felt like throwing ideas around to pass the time.

1. EDI as an Alliance soldier: EDI is a member of Normandy, but she isn't just a part of the ship anymore. EDI should wear an Alliance uniform while aboard Normandy. (as an optional casual outfit) And maybe registered as a cyborg and an Alliance soldier by using Shadow Broker terminals?

2. Replacing Diana Allers with literally anyone else: Diana Allers is incredibly annoying and serves no purpose other than taking space. With lip-sync figured out, how about replacing her with anyone else? Maybe a more liked character? I don't know. Anyone who does this, will do us all a great service by getting rid of her without turning the place she occupies an empty place.

I had more ideas, but can't remember them at the moment. Maybe later.
sansuni
Modder

Have thanks: 7 time

Re: Ideas.. Ideas.. Ideas..

Postby giftfish » 07 Jul 2016, 13:51

1. I'm pretty sure Otte's HD texture of EDI puts an Alliance insignia on her outfits.

2. Interesting discovery for me recently. Other people may already know this, not sure. I was digging into the coup files researching stuff for Thane, and in one of the sequence maps I found references to Khalisah's coup reports that were actually labeled as coming from *Emily Wong*.

How we ended up with Allers + Khalisah and Emily Wong dying, I just don't understand. At the very least BW could have killed Khalisah and not Emily -_- What really should have happened was for Emily to be invitable onto the Normandy, Khalisah on the Citadel, and Allers never created in the first place. Grrrr.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby sansuni » 07 Jul 2016, 15:26

giftfish wrote:1. I'm pretty sure Otte's HD texture of EDI puts an Alliance insignia on her outfits.

Yeah, I already know that. But that's not exactly what I was suggesting. In ME3, people seem to have aversion to wearing uniforms. (it is like out of nowhere everyone just said "to hell with regulations".) While Kaidan wears a proper uniform, his counterpart, Ashley, wears a catsuit for some reason. (And she was a no nonsense navy soldier, in the first and second game, it is just way out of character for her. But considering she wasn't in character during most of the game, it is just one of those things that annoy me.) Also, lets not forget James Vega, he doesn't wear a uniform and prefers to wear a t-shirt with an Alliance logo on it. Not to mention, dude is as bulky as a Krogan, unnaturally so, he is so bulky that it looks like he is on steroids or something, even though that doesn't make sense since he would have kicked out of the navy long time ago it that was true.. Seriously though, he is about as bulky as people wearing heavy Cerberus armor even without his armor on.

EDI could at least wear a uniform as a casual uniform or something. :D

giftfish wrote:2. Interesting discovery for me recently. Other people may already know this, not sure. I was digging into the coup files researching stuff for Thane, and in one of the sequence maps I found references to Khalisah's coup reports that were actually labeled as coming from *Emily Wong*.

How we ended up with Allers + Khalisah and Emily Wong dying, I just don't understand. At the very least BW could have killed Khalisah and not Emily -_- What really should have happened was for Emily to be invitable onto the Normandy, Khalisah on the Citadel, and Allers never created in the first place. Grrrr.

Ahh, that would be a dream come true. I always hated how they offed Emily Wong. I am now certain they replaced Emily Wong with Diana Allers only as a gimmick for better reviews.. But you know what, if I remember correctly, they didn't kill Emily Wong in the main game, it was done in the companion app or something like that. And I don't consider that crap as canon, (though I don't even consider everything that was in the game as canon) in the end they just killed a few recognizable characters there to make it more relevant.

I would say someone should make a mod where they replace Emily Wong with Diana Allers. (I believe someone was working on that at some point) If only we had someone that sound like Emily Wong's voice actress.. :D
sansuni
Modder

Postby The Fob » 07 Jul 2016, 17:51

I am using a mod for Ash that gives her a standard uniform and her old ME1 hairstyle (I think Getorix made it). IMO, that makes her entire character so much better in ME3. Don't have a problem with EDI though. As gift says, the HD mod (and IIRC, even the original outfit) has an Alliance logo on it. EDI is not an officer. Depending on your definition, her body might be seen as a piece of equipment (even by EDI herself) or - if you really want to go down the person route - as some sort of non-affiliated ally (like e.g. Liara or Javik). But to my knowledge, she never enlisted or took an oath of service, so technically, giving her a uniform might even be against regulations. In any case, don't see a problem there.
As for James, I just figure he is basically spending most of hi off-mission time working out, so he is wearing Alliance sports gear. :)

Technically, I agree with the Allers-should-be-Wong thing but I am not sure how feasible this is without getting Emily's VA (or someone who can get really close). If Allers really offends you a lot, at least there is a mod on Nexus that removes her from the game completely. Me personally, I don't mind her that much, I just use the modest outfit mod for her, which makes her look halfway professional and I never go for the fling conversation options. Doing that actually makes her ok for me.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby giftfish » 07 Jul 2016, 18:10

Yeah, I'd love to insert Emily, but the lack of dialogue makes it impossible in my eyes. Even if you could find a VA who's close, she won't be close enough and people will be able to tell. I'm still irritated about Mordin, for that very reason. He's quite possibly my favorite character next to Thane. It's sort of a 4-way tie between Garrus-Wrex-Mordin-Grunt :(

I love AVPen's de-Allers mod <3
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby sansuni » 07 Jul 2016, 18:42

Yeah, I am aware of all of the mods you just mentioned. I am using mods for Ashley as well, I was just complaining about how they handled her in ME3 originally.

EDI thing was just me, dumping ideas. I could probably give her an Allience uniform like in 10 minutes. (Just place EDI's head on a Alliance uniformed female body and retexture the arms, easy.)

James Vega thing is a cheap answer, but I will still accept it. :D Still, you got to admit that he is impossibly bulky even without his armor on. (were they trying to create warhammer or something? :D )

And the Allers thing... The very idea of her existence is upsetting actually, like I have said, I am aware of the mod you talked about, but it doesn't really solve the problem, it just makes it invisible and it would be nicer to use the room for something more meaningful, if it is at all possible. It is unlikely that we get to have Emily's VA for a mod or something, but there are people who can closely imitate voices and one of them might be willing to help out. (however unlikely that sounds.)

Lastly, like I have said, I am just dumping ideas here. (like for fun and maybe they will inspire someone or something..)

@Giftfish, I get what you are saying, I was upset about Mordin too, but it is better than the alternative I guess. (not having Mordin in the game at all. Still what they did was unforgivable, since as far as I know, Mordin's original VA was available, they just hired someone else for no good reason.)
I am sure someone could mimic Emily's voice (there were people mimicking Liara's voice on youtube at one point, maybe someone like that)

Well, to be honest, it will probably never going to happen, but the idea itself is nice.
sansuni
Modder

Postby The Fob » 07 Jul 2016, 21:28

Yea, Mordin was really weird, especially because I don't think we ever got a good answer as to why they did change the VA.

As for VA imitations, has anyone ever heard the audio-book-like adaptation of some of Koobismo's Marauder Shields comics? You can check it out on his DevianArt page. They've got some people there who get REALLY close to the original. Back in the day, I actually contacted the girl who was voicing Liara and asked her if she was willing to do some VO for MEEM. Sadly, she declined. But I think it's a pretty low chance to find the just the right person for this stuff. I even looked into voice imitating software but unfortunately, technology just doesn't seem to be far enough to make that work properly yet (at least not for public use, who knows what the NSA has locked away somewhere ;)).
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby giftfish » 07 Jul 2016, 23:16

The Fob wrote:Yea, Mordin was really weird, especially because I don't think we ever got a good answer as to why they did change the VA.

It's so sad. The VA is really a part of the character. Possibly even more so than the character's model. To switch a VA like that is just... ugh. ME3 Mordin is barely Mordin in my eyes. It's more like his body was snatched by someone else >.<

The Fob wrote:As for VA imitations, has anyone ever heard the audio-book-like adaptation of some of Koobismo's Marauder Shields comics? You can check it out on his DevianArt page. They've got some people there who get REALLY close to the original.

Some are close, yeah, but just like with Mordin, you can also tell that they aren't the original VA. I actually think the Tali VA sounds more like Ash/Liz Sroka then the Liara VA sounds like Ali Hillis. The latter does match Liara's overall vocal patterns pretty well, but the tone/pitch of her voice just isn't right. It's very clear to me that is not "Liara" speaking.

And that's sort of the crux of it. Different people perceive sound differently. I've talked to some people that actually didn't realize Mordin's VA was different in ME3, so they weren't bothered at all. On the other hand, it was very obvious to me during hisfirst line, and it threw me off for the rest of Sur'Kesh, I was so disappointed. For me, the audio is just *that* important, and any VA but the original is too much of an immersion break. Also, for characters like Garrus/Thane/Tali, the SFX are hard to get right. These fans try -- and what they create certainly isn't bad -- but they just don't reproduce BW's vocal SFX with complete fidelity, and every deviation from the norm breaks immersion in a more significant way :/
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Deager » 08 Jul 2016, 17:43

giftfish wrote:I've talked to some people that actually didn't realize Mordin's VA was different in ME3, so they weren't bothered at all.

Uh... :oops: Although, now that you say it and I think back to his first line on Sur'Kesh, yes, I can hear it. Even in my head. But until now, I never thought about it. This is a good reminder for my voice edits in CEM to always be very, very careful. At least Mordin only had one line to change and it was simply truncating it.

To some of the other items; Wong. Man, I missed her. Didn't even know about the "twitter killing" until sansuni brought it up to me recently. Ridiculous. I don't think we have a chance to get Wong back in. I would love it to no end but it'll have to be an email or two I think.

Jessica C...terrible acting. Not that I can act and my voice is not good either. But dang, if you're going to hire someone, then make sure they can act! Actually, I'll give her the Beckenstein line. I liked her few lines regarding that, but not much else.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby Sil » 08 Jul 2016, 19:15

If I'm honest, I'd much prefer Khalisah to Emily Wong as she's far more feisty, I like that :D. However, there is potentially another alternative than replacing Allers completely with another character or getting voice actors who are good at mimicking the original actors. Instead, how about finding a decent voice to redo Diana Allers lines. The lines could be tweaked a bit, hell, you could even add content to make her a more rounded character, and the model could be changed to look like someone else. That way, you can turn a dodgy, poorly voiced character into one that's potentially decent whilst maintaining some level of consistency for Mass Effect 3. I'd prefer having Khalisah, but to be honest, I think it'd be better to spend a small amount of time re-voicing Allers and getting her a new model, than to redo everything, trawling through dialogue from the three games, etc to fix her.

Sil has been thanked by:
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Next

Return to Mod Ideas and Requests