Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Kfreon | Image Library

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Kfreon | Image Library

Postby KFreon » 29 Aug 2015, 10:34

New Image Library

I kinda feel a bit odd posting this here, but I'm writing this stuff primarily for ME3Explorer, so I figure here is as good a place as any.

So my journey to find a decent image library that handles DDS' properly finally took me off the edge of the world, and I got fed up with not having control over things.
ResIL worked for ages, then failed abysmally (perhaps due to my own incompetence).

Long story short, I started writing my own in C# (Same as ME3Explorer).
Check it out.

Some interesting numbers follow in regards to my OS poll earlier.
The following compares the native codecs for Windows 8.1+ and Windows 7 against ResIL.

This is the overall results for loading stuff (in Debug mode)

Those numbers are in milliseconds.
In summary,
Windows 7 performance is basically utterly abysmal. Windows 8.1+ is super quick for it's native formats.
The codec agnostic ones (ATI1 etc, i.e. the ones I had to write myself), are also pretty abysmal.
There are some things I plan on doing to make the performance better for both Windows 7 and the codec agnostic formats, but that hasn't happened yet.

Loading works for everything so far, but save doesn't work at all...I'm working on it.

Windows 7 performance is now much more acceptable. Codec agnostic stuff is pretty damn good now, and saving works for everything except Block Compressed formats, since I haven't figured out how to deal with things smaller than a texel. Working on that.

Now, why anyone should care, is that this should allow us to work with images properly in ME3Explorer in a way that takes advantage of the OS's native capabilities, and enables conversion to work properly e.g. Autofix.
If there's any issues, it won't require a trip into unmanaged land for several hours just to figure out ResIL was broken...
I can just fix it in C#.

The other reason I posted this, is cos writing new things makes me happy. Any coders can feel free to use this if they can deal with the terrible coding style and stuff.

KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Re: Image library for ME3Explorer

Postby Forgetti » 29 Aug 2015, 12:27

so should I upgrade from 7 to 8.1 or higher or wait until Me3 Explorer is more stable on windows 7?
Forgetti
User

Have thanks: 11 time

Postby JunkoXan » 29 Aug 2015, 14:48

Forgetti wrote:so should I upgrade from 7 to 8.1 or higher or wait until Me3 Explorer is more stable on windows 7?

since this is the start of it, probably should wait for further updates on this manner before considering switch OS's. that's my 2 cents...
JunkoXan
User

Have thanks: 15 time

Postby KFreon » 29 Aug 2015, 22:30

You should stick with whatever OS you feel comfortable with.
I'm just noting that users on higher versions of Windows will get better performance.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby FemShep » 30 Aug 2015, 15:08

Are your images dead? They don't load for me.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby KFreon » 01 Sep 2015, 10:55

Strange. They load for me.
Wonder if its cos they're in Dropbox or something.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby FemShep » 01 Sep 2015, 14:33

Don't think you can hotlink dropbox content...
Edit now it shows up
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby KFreon » 02 Sep 2015, 06:33

I moved it to a hosting site anyway.

EDIT: And updated with latest results.
I'm pleased :D
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 11 Sep 2015, 12:32

That's awesome, we won't have to rely on external tools to fix textures. I suppose Heff told you about the recent changes he made to the image library by replacing ResIL by a mix of Nvidia DDS tools and DX Texture Tools, but I figured I'd let you know anyways as Heff hasn't been active lately. His fixes made autofix work well for most cases (especially fixing the ugly DXT5 to DXT1 conversion and adding V8U8 support), but had problems with newer Windows versions (D3D Device bug, etc).
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby KFreon » 11 Sep 2015, 13:23

I did see that he reverted back to using the professional tools. Shame they aren't very good at integrating with other tools.
This will eventually work for all textures in Mass Effect. Eventually...Currently it almost works properly.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development