Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

KFreon's WPF Rewrite

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Re: KFreon's WPF Rewrite

Postby giftfish » 30 Oct 2016, 17:17

KFreon wrote:I'm pretty sure I know why thumb gen is so slow, especially in regards to it being slower than an entire tree gen.
Short explanation: Tree gen grabs a PCC and reads all textures in it. Good for disk as it only has to read one thing.
Thumb gen is per texture atm, so it grabs a texture, reads the pcc, and regenerates the thumb. Rinse and repeat.
That means a single pcc might be read thousands of times instead of just once.
Saving suffers a similar design flaw. T'will be fixed.

That definitely sounds like something to fix :)

KFreon wrote:Regarding "aesthetics", let me clarify.
I'm worried about losing the connection between the thumbs and the textures if they textures are rescanned underneath.
Like what if the textures are modified now (new dlc added, thanemod or something installed), the hashes won't be completely the same OR new textures are present.
The new ones won't have thumbnails AND/OR there might be other thumbs just sitting around not being used. Easy to bloat out of control.

Yep, this is currently already the case. It's possible to see the wrong thumbnail. I've gotten into the happen of re-freshing specific ones I know might be modded, just to be sure.

KFreon wrote:I'm not even remotely considering removing thumbnails or their functionality. I like them too. Tried the old stable without them and couldn't find anything.
I'll do some testing and see what happens, but unfortunately I'm a bit burnt out again so dunno when I'll get to it.

Very glad to hear it. Same here on not being able to find anything in the old stable. Ugh.

Don't worry about timing. We've been very clear with folks that the re-write may or may not happen and that it's on no particular schedule. If folks want to report bugs on your branch that's fine, but it may or may not be fixed. Archival means archival. Unfortunately, certain changes we make in other areas of the toolset might cause problems, so those we'll have to fix :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby benji » 09 Nov 2016, 07:17

Better UI design could really help some of these tools.

While I'm in no position to tell anybody what to do, I started looking into how Direct3D views would work in WPF and it doesn't look clean or easy.
I'm messing around at the moment building a new rendering system in modern Direct3D11 for WinForms tools. (yes, I did start the project knowing my work might be obsolete and removed).

(preview):
Spoiler:

Just my 2 cents.
benji
User

Have thanks: 6 time

Postby KFreon » 09 Nov 2016, 07:40

We're moving to WPF due to a number of issues related to the age of Winforms. (DPI, poor layout management, etc)

Also, surely there's a reasonable WPF substitute for however you draw those Direct3D things. WPF Canvas, viewbox, etc.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby giftfish » 09 Nov 2016, 14:44

benji wrote:Better UI design could really help some of these tools.

While I'm in no position to tell anybody what to do, I started looking into how Direct3D views would work in WPF and it doesn't look clean or easy.
I'm messing around at the moment building a new rendering system in modern Direct3D11 for WinForms tools. (yes, I did start the project knowing my work might be obsolete and removed).

(preview):
Spoiler:

Just my 2 cents.

Ben, this really isn't the place for your post. This thread is specifically for Kfreon's tools.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby KFreon » 29 Nov 2016, 12:07

Added some stuff about the new ImageEngine.
Mostly UI screenshots (Pan and Zoom on the loaded image!!! )
Performance and quality improvements of course, which is the context under which I put them in this post (As they'll help with some memory issues in the rewrite)

With the ImageEngine rewrite basically complete. I plan on shifting my attention back to getting Texplorer and TPFTools operational.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby KFreon » 14 Dec 2016, 07:37

Ok for real this time, ImageEngine is done barring bugs. OP updated.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 14 Dec 2016, 14:15

K, I'll try to get you feedback on GUI stuff, but it won't be until after the holidays :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby KFreon » 19 Dec 2016, 08:24

Big-ish news for those without Photoshop.
Added ability to split image into its channels, and merge them back after editing.
See here.

KFreon has been thanked by:
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby Ottemis » 19 Dec 2016, 21:08

KFreon wrote:Big-ish news for those without Photoshop.
Added ability to split image into its channels, and merge them back after editing.
See here.

This is great!
Are there format restrictions for this?

I've gone and shared this on the DAI Discord as well, so more people will know it exists and how to find it.
I'm gonna have a look myself as soon as time allows. Might make a Tumblr post about it tonight as well, but I'll poke you so I know exactly what it can and can't do before I do that, if that's ok with you.

ps: Jeebus you're fast =o
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby KFreon » 19 Dec 2016, 21:23

When splitting it saves each channel as .png (no choice).
When merging, you can technically use any format, but I dunno what it'll do if the images aren't grayscale.
From there, it just loads that merged image and you can save it as whatever format you wish :D

EDIT: And yes, disseminate the info as you please :)

KFreon has been thanked by:
KFreon
Toolset Developer

PreviousNext

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development