Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Kfreon | TPF Tools

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Re: Kfreon | TPF Tools

Postby KFreon » 24 Apr 2016, 21:43

They're not more compatible or better, they're the attempt to recreate normal TPF's without Texmod.
So they're only "better" in that the toolset can do it internally instead of relying on Texmod.

Why would you pick either?
Well Texmod can be a painful program and the process to create one can break (done from the toolset anyway), so sometimes creating an METPF is just easier, as long as you don't want to use it with Texmod later, cos it won't work.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby giftfish » 24 Apr 2016, 21:58

@K -- Ahh, okay. I swear someone told me they were "better" and "optimized".

Off to remove that BS from the wiki, LOL...

Thanks!
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby giftfish » 28 Apr 2016, 02:41

Soooo, I'm guessing that nobody actually tested .mod files with TPF Tools for the stable? I forgot it even had .mod file capabilities. If you click "Load", it's not even listed under the "supported files".

Seems like something broke for them after r738. ELE's varren .mod loads successfully for that rev, but doesn't finish loading in the stable; ModMaker has no problems loading it in the stable.

K, I'm going to suggest removing the entire feature in the re-write. There's no reason to make TPF Tools compatible with .mod files, when the file can just be loaded in ModMaker and the textures extracted from there (and loaded into TPF Tools). It seems like that would make the code for TPF Tools simpler.

We've gone out of our way to tell people not to use .mod files with textures, and removed the Save to MOD in both TPF Tools and Texplorer. It makes sense if we actually remove texture support for .mods, entirely. Providing the ability to extract textures from them is as far as we want to go. From there, make them incompatible with TPF Tools, and remove the ability to pack textures into .mod files.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Fixing the MIP maps issue with non-standard ratio textures

Postby CreeperLava » 30 Jul 2016, 15:02

I'm not sure where I should post this, but since this issue is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon, I figured it would be a good idea to post about it here.

The issue : ME3Explorer always had issues with non-standard ratio textures (eg 512x1024, 512x2048...). In this case, it has trouble recognizing the presence of MIPs for this type of texture.
I tried generating MIPs through autofix, but ME3Explorer consistently flags them as "MIPS" on analyse.

The fix : Quite simple, use GIMP (with DDS plugin) to open, and save the texture with default settings.
Screenshot : Image
Or use Photoshop (with DDS plugin) to open, and save the texture in the correct format, with MIPs. For norms, prefer the use of DXTT, Photoshop doesn't save them correctly, and GIMP doesn't support V8U8.
Screenshot : Image

I took a closer look at the DDS header with WV's utility, results below.

Test files : https://mega.nz/#!Ax8ngYpD!dkF-hoWO9_fz ... E6fZRvRoq8
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Previous

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development