Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

M11 Wraith Reflectivity Issue

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

M11 Wraith Reflectivity Issue

Postby adragalus » 20 Mar 2016, 22:19

Hello,

I recently returned to modding ME3 and am very much enjoying the toolset that have advanced since a few years ago. However, I've run into an issue while attempting to create a retexture for the M11 Wraith shotgun.

I edited the diffuse map to a rough concept state and tried to test it via TexMod, but ingame the gun appears to be almost entirely gold. I've tried pretty much every combination of the RGB channels for the DXT5 spec map, and even ported over the M22 Eviscerator's specular as it shares the same model.

No luck. For some reason, the Wraith seems to have an immutable gold shininess to it that I can't seem to get rid of. Could anyone please point me in the direction of a way to make the reflectivity/surface material more in line with the Eviscerator or N7 Crusader?
adragalus
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: M11 Wraith Reflectivity Issue

Postby CreeperLava » 21 Mar 2016, 06:16

This problem could be caused by a white alpha in the spec map. Use the newest revision available here, which fixes some of these alpha problems in the toolset (when autofixing textures).
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby adragalus » 21 Mar 2016, 12:51

I'll give that a shot. Two notes, though:
1) Chrome blocked the .zip release download as malicious (?!) It worked on Edge, but that seemed odd. I trust the toolset to not be malicious, curious as to why it might misidentify the download. Never even seen that message before.
2) I tried to SVN update a few times before and it won't go beyond rev 711. Have you folks stopped releasing by SVN?
adragalus
User

Postby CreeperLava » 21 Mar 2016, 14:57

1) Ugh, why is this still a problem... Some antiviruses don't like a particular part of the toolset, Texmod.exe. This exe is a third party tool that allows you to directly edit textures in-game, which is probably why it is not liked.
2) We do not use SVN anymore, github is much more reliable.
CreeperLava
User

Postby adragalus » 21 Mar 2016, 15:08

I tested the Wraith HD pack, and it worked fine. I extracted the files from the Wraith HD pack using TPF.net, lowered saturation on the diffuse using Photoshop, and saved it as a DXT1 file using the Nvidia plugin. Tried running it with the modified diffuse and unchanged norm and spec, and the model didn't change at all. It was still gold, while the diff was visually grey-only.

Per your advice, I loaded the specular and normal maps into TPFTools and ran the autofix, which completed. Saved the files, rebuilt the TPF, and loaded it ingame. This was the result: Image

All I have to say is "wat." I'm stumped... is there anything else folks might recommend?
adragalus
User

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 21 Mar 2016, 16:30

I don't have much of any experience with texturing, so this might be wrong, but it sounds like it might be an issue with the Material used on the Wraith. If so, I don't think there's really anything to be done. I don't know of any way to modify materials with the toolset.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby CreeperLava » 21 Mar 2016, 16:39

Otherwise you could try to avoid using autofix to convert your textures, and do that directly in Photoshop. That would show if the problem comes from the toolset, or not.
CreeperLava
User

Postby adragalus » 21 Mar 2016, 18:21

Doesn't look like a toolset issue - all my other attempts yesterday were done with Photoshop/GIMP-converted textures. It seemed to work fine for my other retextures (Mattock, Armax Arena armor), so I'd guess it's the Wraith material.

You say there's no way to fix the material issue?

Edit: I do recall that the handle/grip areas of the gun are matte in texture by default, so logically it shouldn't be impossible to mask the shininess. The furniture areas of the gun have done it, it's just a matter of figuring out which channel successfully covers it.
adragalus
User

Postby KFreon » 21 Mar 2016, 22:42

I'd jump into Texplorer, find the Wraith textures, and see what's there.
There might be additional textures that describe more bits.

Another thing you can do is make the textures reeeally obvious to make sure they're installing and so that you know exactly what they look like.
By that I mean make a white image with a black box or circle or something on it. Do that for each texture in turn until you find the one misbehaving.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby giftfish » 22 Mar 2016, 16:55

FYI, this isn't the proper area for this question, so the thread will be moved.

Questions like this belong in Texture and Mesh Questions. You should also try to search other threads there; someone else might have already covered your problem.

texture-mesh-questions-f52.html

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Next

Return to Texture Discussion