Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mass Effect 1: destined to become unplayable?

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: Mass Effect 1: destined to become unplayable?

Postby mirh » 15 Aug 2014, 16:55

dosse91 wrote:My laptop has an AMD APU in it, I'm using that one for the 3dnow bug.
Legacy physx didn't change anything. When I uninstalled physx (the regular one), the game simply used the DLLs in its directory and for some reason (I don't know why), it gave it a small performance boost.

I know that's how windows works. And as I said, regular physX shouldn't have nothing in common with ME

I attached and renamed the right dll from legacy version though, if you'd like to try.
And while still speaking of the performance problem.. did you cleared local shader cache between runs?

I'm not an expert but I guess that should be unique for every GPU

As soon as bring down the sky finish to download I could report what are my performance with [email protected] and 5770 (factory OCed)
mirh
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby dosse91 » 15 Aug 2014, 17:09

Yes, I even tried disabling the cache file from bioengine.ini

We also just made an interesting discovery:
usually, we install ME1, but now we tried copy-pasting the game directory and the game works perfectly. So... it must be either some mess it does in the system registry or some of its dependencies: we've already excluded physx, so either directx or vcredist 2005?
dosse91
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby mirh » 15 Aug 2014, 17:39

dosse91 wrote:Yes, I even tried disabling the cache file from bioengine.ini

usually, we install ME1, but now we tried copy-pasting the game directory and the game works perfectly. So... it must be either some mess it does in the system registry or some of its dependencies: we've already excluded physx, so either directx or vcredist 2005?

What?
The only thing I know I have copy pasted is those dlls. What are you talking about?

Anyway in front of the galaxy map I was always between 50/55 and 80/85 FPS (besides the first 20 seconds were textures were still loading)
And I was cpu limited in my case.
mirh
User

Postby dosse91 » 15 Aug 2014, 17:45

mirh wrote:
dosse91 wrote:Yes, I even tried disabling the cache file from bioengine.ini

What?
The only thing I know I have copy pasted is those dlls. What are you talking about?

Anyway in front of the galaxy map I was always between 50/55 and 80/85 FPS (besides the first 20 seconds were textures were still loading)
And I was cpu limited in my case.

Of course I tried the DLLs you've attached, but no difference.
Then my friend came up with the idea that the problem could've been the installer, so we installed the game on another PC, copy-pasted the files on a clean windows 8.1 install and the game runs at 60fps (gtx770)
dosse91
User

Postby mirh » 16 Aug 2014, 09:35

dosse91 wrote:Of course I tried the DLLs you've attached, but no difference.
Then my friend came up with the idea that the problem could've been the installer, so we installed the game on another PC, copy-pasted the files on a clean windows 8.1 install and the game runs at 60fps (gtx770)

What the ??
This has even less sense.. What changed then?
Could be the clean windows 8.1 installation? Or perhaps did you use another .exe in this case? Or did you forgot to apply patches?
mirh
User

Postby dosse91 » 16 Aug 2014, 11:08

No, I didn't forget anything or used a different exe. Both are clean W8.1 installs, fully updated.
It just makes no sense.
Apparently, something the installer does screws something up on some systems and triggers this performance issue. Right now I'm using the thinapp setup capture to see exactly what changes it does to the system. Apart from the files it copies, it's about 5 megabytes of registry keys, and it will take me some time to analyze them.

I'll let you know if I find something.
dosse91
User

Postby mirh » 16 Aug 2014, 23:06

dosse91 wrote:No, I didn't forget anything or used a different exe. Both are clean W8.1 installs, fully updated.
It just makes no sense.
Apparently, something the installer does screws something up on some systems and triggers this performance issue. Right now I'm using the thinapp setup capture to see exactly what changes it does to the system. Apart from the files it copies, it's about 5 megabytes of registry keys, and it will take me some time to analyze them.

I'll let you know if I find something.

I prefer regshot if i'm just looking to the windows registry.
Otherwise process monitor covers everything
mirh
User

Postby dosse91 » 17 Aug 2014, 06:05

I didn't find anything suspicious in the registry keys added by the installer.
With process monitor, however, I noticed that the game keeps trying to read this nonexisting registry key
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{ec87f1e3-c13b-4100-b5f7-8b84d54260cb}
and it does it every frame.

Also, one of its threads appears to be wasting a lot of time handling exceptions thrown by msvcrt.dll, I don't know if that's normal.
dosse91
User

Postby mirh » 19 Aug 2014, 16:33

dosse91 wrote:I didn't find anything suspicious in the registry keys added by the installer.
With process monitor, however, I noticed that the game keeps trying to read this nonexisting registry key
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{ec87f1e3-c13b-4100-b5f7-8b84d54260cb}
and it does it every frame.

Also, one of its threads appears to be wasting a lot of time handling exceptions thrown by msvcrt.dll, I don't know if that's normal.

That registry key seems well know if you google for it
Anyway, when I looked at my registry, and it seems related to this usb device USB\VID_045E&PID_028E\0000001

Which after some more additional googling is the wired xbox 360 controller hardware ID (well, I have a DS3 controller with Scarlet.Crush drivers, but that's another story)

So... did you try to unplug your controller?
mirh
User

Postby dosse91 » 20 Aug 2014, 08:44

I don't even have a controller.
And why is it even reading that key if it doesn't even support it?
dosse91
User

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic