Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mass Effect: Andromeda

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Postby CreeperLava » 22 Jun 2016, 15:18

Argh, your transfer removed the message I was writing :/. Oh well. Just wanted to say a fresh start is not necessarily a bad thing, especially regarding the controversial endings. It also means we can consider any ending we want as canon, even modded ones. Plus there will apparently be references to the trilogy, so everything isn't lost^^.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby AVPen » 07 Sep 2016, 20:55

Brand new gameplay trailer (note, it's listed as Alpha footage) debuted today at the 2016 Playstation Meeting, mainly so BW could show off the game's visuals and Frostbite Engine on the new Playstation 4 Pro:

On a random note, it looks like all that story info that was present in the previously leaked survey on ME:A is in fact true (based on the trailer's dialogue on "Vaults" and hidden alien technology on various worlds in this galaxy).
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby deadspear » 07 Sep 2016, 21:04

Call me a jaded, but is anyone else getting the feel their pushing this on the visuals and not on the story. I just fear we'll get another Watch Dogs. Especially the line "if you don't have a 4k monitor stop watching and go find out." It just rubbed me the wrong way. Are we going to get another "best looking game" like Star Wars Battlefront (With the obvious implication that content wise we'll be left high and dry?)
deadspear
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Postby Deager » 07 Sep 2016, 21:33

Not sure what it will turn out to be but I'm risking day 1 and taking vacation time to play it. I may regret that but even that short sequence, particularly the cutscene, still had the Mass Effect feel to it for me. Definitely has more an open world/explore type of vibe to it earlier in the level, which is also expected as well given what they've said and how DA:I turned out.

Not much to go on of course but I'm still banking on enjoying it. Just keep the characters good, don't screw up the endings, and I'll be fine. ME1 is still my favorite for story options and nerdiness.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby Sil » 07 Sep 2016, 22:22

deadspear wrote:Call me a jaded, but is anyone else getting the feel their pushing this on the visuals and not on the story. I just fear we'll get another Watch Dogs. Especially the line "if you don't have a 4k monitor stop watching and go find out." It just rubbed me the wrong way. Are we going to get another "best looking game" like Star Wars Battlefront (With the obvious implication that content wise we'll be left high and dry?)

It's because they've announced the 4K playstation, so all the games shown alongside it need to ramp up that 4k is the best you can get. It's just salesman stuff. Not that I've watched the gameplay trailer, I've little interest in Andromeda until I hear user reviews rather than game website reviews
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby deadspear » 08 Sep 2016, 17:03

http://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-andr ... _pcgamerfb

Well apparently the main protagonists will be siblings.
deadspear
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Postby The Fob » 10 Sep 2016, 00:33

That video didn't impress me at all. It looks like some random 5 minutes ripped out of some let's play. No connection to anything, we have no idea what's going on, the dialogue is out of context, the guy is just walking around alone (then suddenly 4 people are there at the end, wtf?).
There is no connection to the previous material (except maybe for the asari but that's it).
Also, they don't show any relevant gameplay. I mean, so far, ME was 99% combat or dialogue. Here: No combat, no dialogue wheel, just some walking and one confusing cutscene.
I got a better impression of the game from the 2 seconds of gameplay that we saw in the E3 trailer.
Furthermore, they decided to basically **** off the 90% of their target audience that doesn't have 4K hardware (or don't care) with the first sentence.

IMO, their marketing department messed up on this one. Why market an ME game with a tech demo of all things (and even a tech demo could have been made nicer then this). I really hope they got a lot of money from Sony/MS to promote their new 4K ready consoles because this was a service to them, not to the game they are trying to sell.
And yes, while the surroundings looked very nice, the characters for example, especially the faces (IMO one of the most important aspects of graphics for an ME game) were not that impressive as far as I could see.

I am not saying this means the game will be bad or anything, all I am saying is that this video tells us absolutely nothing interesting about the game at all.

Also, if this is the default maleRyder, I am definitely going to create my own, he looks dull.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby CreeperLava » 10 Sep 2016, 14:21

I was also disappointed with the gameplay. The way you advance in the level is simply by holding a button on interfaces (why do you have to HOLD the button ? It's just annoying.), such that magical paths appear to guide you to your destination. I understand that it's just a sample designed to show us some features, but still... The worst part is that what we saw is a part of an actual level.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Deager » 10 Sep 2016, 18:06

The Fob wrote:Also, if this is the default maleRyder, I am definitely going to create my own, he looks dull.

Custom for the win. And I'll do my traditional female, non-white lead for my first play through since I grew up with only white, macho men as an option. I like being able to mix it up now.

The video was stupid, no doubt. But I think the facial animation and faces are enough to make it work. The male lead looked not great. The Asari has some personality still; as expected. In the trilogy now, when I look critically at how machine-like the mouth animations are, it goes to show that acting and writing of the characters are what carry weight. One thing that still screws these videos up is we don't "know" these characters yet. I think we'll all think differently once we get to know who they are and I'd prefer to get that while playing and not a demo video.

Looks like they're going DA:I a bit which I think loosens the story too much. If I want open world, I go Rockstar or Bethesda. I prefer Bioware keeping it tighter. Despite me writing that, I'm still risking day 1. If I'm the only one here, I'll report back, spoiler free, and let you all know what I think is or isn't working.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby The Fob » 02 Nov 2016, 16:31

So, just saw the new teaser. For those who haven't seen it, here ya go:

Hm, I really hope this is just some teaser and has absolutely nothing to do with the real game. Cause the cheesy lines make me cringe. Really hope we won't go to Andromeda "for science" or "because we are explorers". That makes no sense! It's not how science, research or exploration work, let alone are funded.
But from all the trailers so far, it looks like Mac Walters or whoever might just inject yet another oversimplified idea into what once was a somewhat believable SciFi universe.

Well, hopefully we'll know more by 11/7. The question of how, why and when we'll get to Andromeda is the one plot aspect I really want to get "a "spoiler" for.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic