Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mass Effect: Andromeda

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Postby Sil » 02 Nov 2016, 16:44

I wasn't unhappy with the trailer, only bit that grated was that it seemed as if it was something humanity was driving forward rather than the Council. I'm not a fan of how human focused the games became.

Since it is "supposedly" set before ME3, it is possible that the true reason for them leaving has been withheld from most of those deciding to travel to Andromeda. If people thought it was an exploratory mission to another galaxy then you would have people hoping to go but not doing much about it, economies wouldn't be hard much by the news either. But if news that the galaxy were protecting civilisation from extinction by sending a load of colonists to another galaxy, because the Council or humanity were frightened of a mythological threat (the Reapers were considered near mythological until ME3 by most people), then there would be chaos. So it does make sense that they talk about it as an exploration mission.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby The Fob » 02 Nov 2016, 18:45

I don't know,. I am not so sure they leave before ME3 any more. If they did, it's still strange, even if they deceived people about the purpose of the voyage. Announcing something like a research mission to another galaxy in 2285 would be equivalent to announcing a mission to the Alpha Centauri star system today. It would be a huge deal and everyone would wonder about how to actually get there.
It would also be a major topic, once the reapers did arrive and the fact it would be widely known by ME3 that we would have sent ships to another galaxy should come up in the discussion with the catalyst.

On the other hand, keeping this a secret while parking massive ark ships right above the moon where anyone with a decent amateur telescope could spot them from Earth would also be a bit silly.
Best case scenario for me at the moment: The had the ships built somewhere in secret since ME1 or whatever and then start a panicked evacuation/emergency start when they learn theat the repares are in Batarian space just before the beginning of ME3.

In the end though, however they'll spin this, I doubt they can really make it sensible.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Sil » 02 Nov 2016, 20:30

I think it's one of those times that they decided to use the Rule of Cool rather than thinking it through.
Sil
User

Postby The Fob » 02 Nov 2016, 20:50

Sil wrote:I think it's one of those times that they decided to use the Rule of Cool rather than thinking it through.

I really hope they'll at least put some thought into it. If it's just another case of "look at the coolness, just dont think about it too much", that woud be one thing that could sort of sour the entire experience for me. In principle, I like the idea of giving the series a new start in Andromeda without the baggage of the trilogy. That was the way to go IMO. But they need to come up with a half way plausible way to put us there. IMO that would also be the coolest thing they could do as well.

But I am afraid you may be right on this one.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Sil » 02 Nov 2016, 20:52

I hope I'm wrong.
Sil
User

Postby AVPen » 07 Nov 2016, 17:37

Brand new trailer for ME:A was released today, for N7 Day 2016:

Looks like that the leaked release date of March 21 2017 (obtained from the release date of the artbook) may be accurate, given that ME:A has been given a release date of Spring 2017. Also, Game Informer will be giving a month-long coverage of ME:A on their website: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/andromeda.aspx
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby Deager » 07 Nov 2016, 17:49

Interesting. I'll take a "frame by frame" look when I get home tonight. Not that I'm going to go nuts in any direction over what I see, but I'm still going to risk day 1 with this thing.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby Sil » 07 Nov 2016, 18:09

https://www.masseffect.com/en-gb/andromeda-initiative

Go there for another video, the stand out line for me is:

"In addition to Hyperion, three other arks harbouring a separate species will depart the Milky Way at the same time"

To me, that says that humans, asari, turians and salarians each have an ark. But no-one else. I guess the Nexus, which is mentioned as holding other people, may have the other races on it as it does mention that the mission "is a major milestone for all of humanity as well as every other species in the Milky Way galaxy". I'm guessing that won't apply to races like the Raloi, Virtual Aliens and the Kirik, but it may mean we see all the other favourites on the Nexus. Hopefully.

Sil has been thanked by:
Sil
User

Postby AVPen » 07 Nov 2016, 18:44

Sil wrote:https://www.masseffect.com/en-gb/andromeda-initiative

Go there for another video, the stand out line for me is:

"In addition to Hyperion, three other arks harbouring a separate species will depart the Milky Way at the same time"

To me, that says that humans, asari, turians and salarians each have an ark. But no-one else. I guess the Nexus, which is mentioned as holding other people, may have the other races on it as it does mention that the mission "is a major milestone for all of humanity as well as every other species in the Milky Way galaxy". I'm guessing that won't apply to races like the Raloi, Virtual Aliens and the Kirik, but it may mean we see all the other favourites on the Nexus. Hopefully.

Interesting website, thanks for the link. Am assuming that some krogan made the trip as well, considering we've seen a few of them in some the trailers - kinda doubt that quarians will be included, though, based on the isolationist view of the Quarian Flotilla with regards to other species (which for me as a quarian fan.... rather sucks. lol)

A few standout information also on that website:
- Alec Ryder (father of the protagonist of ME:A) was a member of Jon Grissom's task force who first traveled through the Charon Relay and was one of the first N7 graduates out of the Alliance (meaning that he's in his 50s to 60s, depending on how old he was when he travelled with Grissom through the relay).

- The Andromeda Initiative was privately funded and developed OUTSIDE of the Alliance or Citadel Council (meaning that it's not some "last ditch" effort to save the species from the Reaper threat), being founded in 2176 (same year as the Skyllian Blitz on Elysium) and launching in 2185 (same year as ME2, one year before the Reaper Invasion).

EDIT: The digital edition of the new Game Informer magazine just went live on their website and their big article on ME:A confirmed your assetment on the arks, Sil - the 4 Arks each house one of the main species of the Milky Way: humans, turians, asari, and salarians (no mention at all of the other races). Additionally, each Pathfinder of the ark represents an "exemplar" of each species, each having unique training and expertise that sets them apart (Alec Ryder being the human Pathfinder).
AVPen
Modder

Postby AVPen » 07 Nov 2016, 19:55

And more new info from the digital GI magazine article on Andromeda:

- ok, the krogan ARE present in the new game: at one point in the article, the writer mentions Ryder going to a planet to find a lost krogan colony ship that crashed there

- one of the new alien species in ME:A are the Kett, who are hostile to the explorers of the Andromeda Initiative (they're the aliens we see in the new trailer)

- Ryder does have a jetpack (seen in the previous Alpha demo trailer), which can be used both in exploration and in combat

- the starting classes are gone from the game as they were traditionally: player now has full access to all abilities in the game for Ryder and can mix and match and build their Ryder to be unique. Additionally, investing in enough skills/abilities of a certain type (combat/tech/biotic) unlocks what are called "profiles", which have the names of the previous ME classes (Soldier, Vanguard, Adept, etc) and convey unique bonuses and perks for that play-style

- more traditional melee weapons (swords, hammers, etc) are present in the game

- new "Mako" vehicle for planet exploration is called the Nomad, and you can upgrade it both in its stats and appearance

- planets can have what are called "Super-Bosses": ultra high-level bosses that may not be beatable till your characters are much higher level.

- weapon and armor crafting is being introduced into the game through blueprints that Ryder can find

- only 2 allies/companions for Ryder were mentioned: Peebee, the asari we see in the trailers (a loner with a bubbly personality, not concerned with social "nicities") and Liam, a human security member of the Pathfinder team (a former police officer, idealistic and enthusiastic)

- all squadmates have loyalty missions, but they're not for just "getting a better ending" like in ME2, more personal and developed around relationships between Ryder and the companion

- all powers have their own individual cooldown (no longer a global cooldown), just like it was back in ME1

- multiplayer is back in ME:A (and no one is shocked... lol)

- the Paragon/Renegade system has been completely REMOVED (but the Conversation Interrupts from ME2/ME3 are still around, now called "Narrative Actions")

- New Game Plus will be in ME:A, this time you can change your gender at the start of a NG+ playthrough

AVPen has been thanked by:
AVPen
Modder

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic