Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mass Effect: Andromeda

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Postby Sil » 07 Nov 2016, 20:39

Most of that sounds pretty good to me, though the super-bosses feels a bit wierd. I'm also not a fan of bringing in more melee weapons, I liked the introduction of the omni-melee weapons, but beyond that...

The one part of all that I really dislike is the removal of Paragon/Renegade. I know it tends to dumb things down into Good/Bad, but it has been integral to all the other games. Removing it feels odd to me.

I especially like the way the classes are sounding, if the information in that magazine is accurate. I mostly played Soldier in ME, but when I had the chance in ME3 to assign other types of abilities I'd always go for something like a drone or some kind of biotic. So I'm happy about that. And if the Krogan are having a colony ship, I'd assume most others are too. I mean, of the lot, the krogan are about the least suitable for colonisation considering the genophage and that they are a demilitarised species, so if they're heading there, I'd assume most others will in some way, shape or form.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby Deager » 07 Nov 2016, 23:18

The Fob wrote:
Sil wrote:I think it's one of those times that they decided to use the Rule of Cool rather than thinking it through.

I really hope they'll at least put some thought into it. If it's just another case of "look at the coolness, just dont think about it too much", that woud be one thing that could sort of sour the entire experience for me. In principle, I like the idea of giving the series a new start in Andromeda without the baggage of the trilogy. That was the way to go IMO. But they need to come up with a half way plausible way to put us there. IMO that would also be the coolest thing they could do as well.

But I am afraid you may be right on this one.

I think you're both right. Fortunately, I can go into a Bioware game with the expectation that the main story will be a lame-ish framework and it's all about the characters. They may as well make it about the characters and skip a big, sweeping narrative.

I'm still going day one on it. I will not pre-order it no matter what candy is shown to me. That is a practice I don't want to encourage.

However, given the Mass Effect 1 story, which actually seemed pretty solid overall, it is a shame to see it devolve into what they got for a main plot in ME2 and ME3. DA:I I enjoyed, but they played it really, really safe with the plot and it was really about the characters to me. I suspect they'll likewise play it very safe with the potential outcome or maybe outcomes, which is too bad. I like the idea of genuinely losing, but a developer just has to make it work.

Anyway, I'll give a spoiler-free summation of Andromeda as best I can from various viewpoints. Keep in mind, I really like the Citadel DLC so uh, you know, I'm all about the cheese.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby Sil » 07 Nov 2016, 23:55

Deager wrote:I think you're both right. Fortunately, I can go into a Bioware game with the expectation that the main story will be a lame-ish framework and it's all about the characters. They may as well make it about the characters and skip a big, sweeping narrative.

I kept hoping they'd do away with terribly evil threats and give us something a bit more down to earth, or something more political. Batarian/Systems Alliance conflict, Citadel Civil War, that kinda thing. I have a feeling the bad guys in this are going to lead towards another terrible ancient enemy.
Sil
User

Postby Kinkojiro » 08 Nov 2016, 01:13

As far as you can tell anything from a cinematic trailer, it looks fine. I definitely don't want to be able to understand the nuances of the plot from a couple of 60 second trailers, so I am suspect (hope) that the Andromeda Initiative has a bit of a darker backstory which you can uncover in game.

I am not sure about this suddenly "anybody can be biotic" though. From a gameplay perspective it makes sense but from a narrative one it goes against the game lore... Maybe I am the only one who cares?
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby giftfish » 08 Nov 2016, 02:11

Kinkojiro wrote:I am not sure about this suddenly "anybody can be biotic" though. From a gameplay perspective it makes sense but from a narrative one it goes against the game lore... Maybe I am the only one who cares?

Definitely not. The ME fan base is full of lore junkies.

I'd say this decision isn't a particularly good sign, considering there's no way they can implement it without breaking existing lore... and breaking from existing lore is in large amount what got them in trouble for ME3.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby The Fob » 08 Nov 2016, 02:55

The biotic thing is not a problem IMO. It's not really different than with Shepard. Any Shepard can be a biotic as well, just like any Ryder. That doesn't mean anyone can suddenly be a biotic. It just means that the Ryder siblings were exposed to eezo during the mothers pregnancy, which may cause biotic potential or may not (that would depend on how you skill).

So no problem with that, and as you say, it's a gameplay thing first and foremost. It's up to the player not to skill something ridiculous.

So, watched the trailer, not that much in it really, I have to say. As for the new info:

AI building arks in a massive multi species effort since 2176: W T F???!!!???
I have so many questions. If the Hyperion is the "human ark", how could they build it? And Why??? They just found out about interstellar travel 27 years before! Did Christopher Columbus build a ship to go to Mars in 1519???
Did they already know about the reapers all along (Evolution comic might suggest that)?
Was it a secret? If so,. how could they keep such a massive undertaking a secret? (Don't say Cerberus, just don't, please, I beg you!)
If it wasn't a secret, how the hell is this not a major thing in the trilogy?

Catalyst: We reapers protect the galaxy from it's own development of AI by not allowing it to develop.
Shepard: Yeaaaaa, you DO realize that after only 27 years after learning about interstellar travel*, we figured out how to jump galaxies, right? So you are holding all of us back just so that we can and will get invaded from another galaxy that could actually develop for the last billion years or so?
Catalyst: Uuuuhhhhh....
Shep: Oh and by the way, ironically, we called that project A.I.! Bet you didn't see that one coming. Anyway, can we stop this nonsense now?

BioWare is on a great track to make the ME3 ending even more stupid than it already is, which I dare say, would be quite the achievement. :)

Also, more melee weapons like swords? Seriously? (tell me someone else immediately thought "Kai Leng" and "NOOOOOOO!!!!")

Everything else sounds kinda ok but if they build this thing on a premise as stupid as it's shaping up right now, I for one will be deeply disappointed.

Anyway, nonetheless, happy N7 day everyone.

+) Ok, 2000 years if the Asari offered some major help but it doesn't make a difference for the argument anyway.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Deager » 08 Nov 2016, 05:57

The Fob wrote:Did Christopher Columbus build a ship to go to Mars in 1519???

That's a question? Obviously, yes! Also, Mars is something like 4,500 miles away since the earth is flat and the sun and moon are flat discs which move around not too far away. That's what I've learned as adult anyway.

So....I hope they release March 21st so I can try to whip up an April 1st video regarding any funny connections to the end of ME3.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby AVPen » 08 Nov 2016, 16:44

The Fob wrote:AI building arks in a massive multi species effort since 2176: W T F???!!!???
I have so many questions. If the Hyperion is the "human ark", how could they build it? And Why??? They just found out about interstellar travel 27 years before! Did Christopher Columbus build a ship to go to Mars in 1519???
Did they already know about the reapers all along (Evolution comic might suggest that)?
Was it a secret? If so,. how could they keep such a massive undertaking a secret? (Don't say Cerberus, just don't, please, I beg you!)
If it wasn't a secret, how the hell is this not a major thing in the trilogy?

My interpretation, based on both the new GI info and the AI Orientation video on the new Andromeda website, is that the Andromeda Initiative was founded and developed by wealthy civilians of numerous species OUTSIDE of either the Systems Alliance's or Citadel Council's control - it's essentially a giant colonization effort for multiple species to develop new civilian colonies on resource-rich worlds in the Andromeda galaxy, with a later secondary goal of eventually establishing a safe and reliable travel route between the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies (through how exactly they'd accomplish that without Mass Relays is unknown).

As for why we've not heard about the Andromeda Initiative before in the games till now, my own thought is that the Alliance and Citadel Council probably didn't pay them any mind or interest since they were non-military civilians looking to colonize worlds OUTSIDE of their influence/control (neither the Alliance or the Citadel seemed very interested or concerned about the missing human colonies in ME2 primarily because the colonists LEFT Alliance/Council space specifically to get away from the Alliance and Council). Also, the AI arks left on their journey to Andromeda in 2185 (the same year during the events of ME2), so it entirely possible that they were long gone before Shepard woke up (and since it's a 1-way trip without communications to the species of the Milky Way, there would be no need for the news medias to continue news coverage on AI - they'd be a literal blip on the news for a day before they got ignored and forgotten about).
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby The Fob » 08 Nov 2016, 17:32

Oh come one, really?
You think governments wouldn't take notice or interest in such a project? Keep in mind, those companies build ships that almost rival the freaking Citadel in size! They would at least have to make sure that it's not some sort of super dreadnought that defies the Treaty of Farixen (and that's the least of the issues).
And Shepard just never heard about it? Really? With all the talk going on in ME3, no one ever said "at least there is a chance the AI guys made it"?

And again, I have to ask the question, why build huge and undoubtedly super expensive ships to go to Andromeda when there is a massive exploration and colonization effort still going on right at our doorstep?

Sorry but however you spin it, the exploration and recourse angle just doesn't compute for me. I really hope they have something else in store for the background of this project.

By the way, I just read that it's mentioned in the GI article that indeed the new MAKO (Nomad) won't have weapons. Not sure I like this. I thought one of the cooler aspects of ME1 was vehicular combat. Just driving around sounds far more boring (kinda reminds me of the absolutely useless horses in DA:I). But who knows, if they instead focus on some drivin challenges, it could still be fun.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Sil » 14 Nov 2016, 21:55

Sil
User

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic