Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mass Effect: Andromeda

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Postby crazyrabbits » 04 Dec 2016, 22:07

The more I see and read about this game, the more disenchanted I become with it. The absurd pre-order gimmicks don't help matters.

I'll end up waiting like i did with ME3, and buy it a couple years after release for $10 or less.
crazyrabbits
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby viper » 24 Dec 2016, 18:44

I just pre-ordered my copy,I hope it doesn't get delayed :)
viper
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby CreeperLava » 05 Jan 2017, 14:00

Release dates have been announced :
- 23rd of March 2017 in Europe
- 21st of March 2017 in North America
Not sure where the rest of the world is, but there you go. I'm not that excited, to be honest, still a bit curious to see if what they managed to make will be enjoyable.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby sansuni » 05 Jan 2017, 14:40

I already stated my opinion on the matter and I am going to stay cautious.

Meaning that I will assume it is a terrible game.. This way, if it turns out good, I will be pleasantly surprised. (And if it sucks, I will not be as upset as I would have been.)

I am trying to... WITH ALL MY MIGHT... not to board the hype train.. It is hard...
sansuni
Modder

Have thanks: 7 time

Postby Saito404 » 05 Jan 2017, 16:07

I'll be playing it on Youtube, anyway. My only concern is human squadmates (and their romances) and quality of their development. I'm afraid, it will be OOOUUH SHINY ALIENS all over again.
Saito404
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Ottemis » 06 Jan 2017, 01:25

I am not on the Hype train. I AM the hype train. I live for my space cowboys.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby Tarshana » 06 Jan 2017, 06:35

I have a friend on the inside.. this is what I am told "Expect an action game with some story to it and more Asari monogender jokes."
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby Saito404 » 06 Jan 2017, 08:15

Tarshana wrote:Expect an action game with some story to it

Mass Effect 2?
Saito404
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Ottemis » 06 Jan 2017, 23:02

[quote="Tarshana"]I have a friend on the inside.. this is what I am told "Expect an action game with some story to it and more Asari monogender jokes."

Hah well, I think everyone's perspective and expectancy is going to be different. I tend to still enjoy stuff other people considered too broken to play and not be horribly distracted.
Bioware games just tend to jive well with me, flaws or not. I love the setting, I'm hoping for the best. I'll have to go into my ladycave and not come out till I've finished it, because I'm Europe I always end up with American friends finishing way before I do and that has a tendency to **** with my enjoyment. You know, you get on voice, everyone's bitching, you tend to get anxious. Going in clean and fresh is better for me =P
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 06 Jan 2017, 23:58

Tarshana wrote:I have a friend on the inside.. this is what I am told "Expect an action game with some story to it and more Asari monogender jokes."

This ties into what EA said when they did a big conference for stockholders about 3 years ago where they talked about product pipeline between the studios. What was interesting was Bioware was in the action/adventure column not in RPG. Thankfully It wasn't in the DICE/Battlefield FPS column, but there was a page that said they saw "action franchises" as the way to go, from memory I think the speaker compared them to Ubisofts AC/Uncharted. Whilst these are both fun games, the story is not really the big draw.

With MEA we know Mac Walters is hardly the world's most creative writer and the other main writer wrote Halo 4 (action franchise) and then left part way through (which at very least suggests he didn't find the content compelling enough to stick around to do polishing/DLC).

I find without a good and evolving story immersing yourself into the protagonist character is hard. ME has this in spades - the Genophage, synthetics, Reapers, racism - lots of themes around which the stories and missions were created. Take away these and player choices become just items on a tick list.

By comparison where DAI is great is the main missions tied into questions of faith and justice. It also had some interesting characters. Where DAI suffered from a very uneven story where vast chunks of the game weren't really tied into it (Exalted Plains, Hissing Wastes, Emerald Groves etc). You could plot an absolutely coherent path through the main story game, recruit everybody, by only visiting 4 of the "open world" areas you could explore. (Hinterlands, Val Royeaux, Storm Coast and Crestwood). Whilst 2 more of the areas kind of make sense in the context of the main story (Western Approach and Embrise Du Lion) it is hard to say why the inquisitor would do the rest.

So whilst I am on the hype train and will definitely get the game (although not on pre-order), I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a story that establishes new themes and dynamics, i am a bit worried we will end up with a bland protagonist and a meh story of a more typical action game.

Kinkojiro has been thanked by:
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic