Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mass Horizons

User-centric area to discuss ideas and request mods. Toolset modders may also float ideas for new mods here; if pursued, the thread can be relocated to Mods in Development.

Re: Mass Horizons

Postby giftfish » 30 Oct 2016, 17:03

@Sil --

1. Judging from the content under the spoiler, it seems that you trying to use state events in the Startup file for mails. This is not correct. All you need for a mail is the coalesced reference under the proper terminal name, and the corresponding references in the TLK and CND. The Startup file I recommended was *solely* for new plot flags you needed to add to events that didn't have any, like reading the datapad on Sur'Kesh.

2. 5500000 seems very, very high for a plot, so I am doubtful this would work. Choose a number closer to other mods that you know are functional.

3. The CND Editor should not be changing "a" to "i" spontaneously. If you are certain it's doing this, then you should report it as a bug on Git.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Sil » 30 Oct 2016, 23:21

giftfish wrote:@Sil --

1. Judging from the content under the spoiler, it seems that you trying to use state events in the Startup file for mails. This is not correct. All you need for a mail is the coalesced reference under the proper terminal name, and the corresponding references in the TLK and CND. The Startup file I recommended was *solely* for new plot flags you needed to add to events that didn't have any, like reading the datapad on Sur'Kesh.

2. 5500000 seems very, very high for a plot, so I am doubtful this would work. Choose a number closer to other mods that you know are functional.

3. The CND Editor should not be changing "a" to "i" spontaneously. If you are certain it's doing this, then you should report it as a bug on Git.

1. I used a new State Event to set up a new Plot Bool as I've found no other way of creating Plot Bools without doing so. I listed those bits of information just to show how I laid out each plot bool, really, as I've not had any luck finding information on what each of those settings do to a plot bool or plot integer. From what I understood from various posts on the forum, I needed to have the new plot bool for the BioD_Kro001 file, but also I needed one to show that the Spectre Terminal message had been authorised (this plot bool was 32002 and was placed in conditional 6001), but I read somewhere about having plot integers to check that the mail hasn't been read so the game doesn't send the emails over and over.

2. I went that high as the mail tutorial said to put any old number in and I wanted to be sure that I was steering clear of everyone elses mods so I wouldn't tread on any toes if I add a lot more stuff than I had originally intended. When I used the conditional suggested by kinkojiro earlier the mail for the spectre terminal did load and that number is higher than 5500000. I could always change it to a smaller number, but when its that big a number I at least know I won't overwrite someone elses stuff by accident :)

3. Yeah, it was strange that it was doing that, I've not had a chance to do any modding on the conditional today but I'll try and look at it tomorrow to see if that still happens. If it does, I'll have to report it.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby giftfish » 31 Oct 2016, 18:30

@Sil --

1. If an integer that high works, that's fine. It was notable and something to check.

2. I'm going to need a clear, concise description of what you want to achieve; you're explanation in #1 above isn't clear enough for me to help.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Sil » 31 Oct 2016, 19:59

I thought I had made it clear over my posts, but I'll write it out in bullet points as that might make it easier to explain. I'll go through each step I used when trying to make it work from the beginning. :)

- The Spectre Terminal message requires the player to have listened to the varren audio log from the Sur'kesh mission. The terminal message is called Bioweapon Field Test.
- As the varren audio log did not have a plot bool attached to it, I had to make a State Event with a brand new Plot Bool. The new State Event was 11000, and the new Plot Bool was 32000.
- I edited file BioD_Kro001_600FourthFlr_LOC_INT.pcc to add State Event 11000, as indicated to me in this thread.
- I then re-read the various tutorials and posts on the forum for conditionals, mails etc. In one of them I spotted a post that mentioned needing a Plot Integer in a Conditional that would say that the mail has not been read before, stopping the game from re-sending the mail once a player has read it.
- As I couldn't find any way of making a new Plot Integer without making a new State Event, I made a new State Event. The State Event was numbered 11001, and the Plot Integer 32001.
- I then made a new Conditional numbered 6000, which I typed in the code as follows; ((plot.bools[32000] == Bool true) && (plot.ints[32001] == !0)). I didn't realise it at the time, but the tool changed !0 to a0 when compiling and replacing.
- I added the Spectre Terminal message to the BioUI file with conditional 6000 under SendConditional. It was around then that it was noticed that I needed a new ActionPlotID for when the Spectre Terminal message is authorised.
- When Bioweapon Field Test is authorised it will update some War Assets and send the player a mail to their Private Messages Terminal. I have not added the War Asset updates yet as I wanted to get the email working first of all.
- Because of the ActionPlotID it seemed I needed a new Plot Bool to be put in there. As with the Plot Integer, I didn't know how to add Plot Bools without making a new State Event, so I made a new one. The State Event was 11002, and the new Plot Bool was numbered 32002. I input 32002 into the ActionPlotID of the Spectre Terminal message in the BioUI file.
- I added the Private Mail message to the BioUI and needed a SendConditional for it. So I made a new one as before, and as with the first conditional I thought I needed another Plot Integer. This meant I created a new State Event called 11003, and the Plot Integer was 32003.
- The new Conditional I made was numbered at 6001, and it looked like this; ((plot.bools[32002] == Bool true) && (plot.ints[32003] == !0)). Much like before, the !0 was changed to a0 automatically. I did not notice the change until later. I then added conditional 6001 to the SendConditional part of the BioUI for the new private terminal message.
- I tested it and it did not work. Eventually I used Kinkojiro's advice to make use of SendConditional 634 on the Bioweapons Field Test spectre message, as I wanted to make sure that it would a) show ingame, and b) test my conditional to get my private message to appear if I managed to authorise it ingame.
- Using SendConditional 634 on the Spectre Terminal message worked a dream. But authorising managed to achieve nothing, which is when I realised for certain that my conditionals were buggered somehow.
- I then noticed that they had changed from !0 to a0 without my realising. I have since tested edited versions of conditional 6001 that removed the plot.ints part of the conditional. I tried this to see if it would work without the integer. This did nothing, the Private Terminal message was still not sent when it should have.
- When I posted up the details of each conditional, state event, plot bool and mail, it was so that anyone looking to help me out could see what settings I had used to make the conditionals etc. I wasn't sure if my plot bools were using the right values, params or instance versions as I hadn't found a tutorial that explained them.
- Essentially, I want the game to send the player the Bioweapon Field Test spectre terminal message when they listen to the varren audio log on Priority Sur'kesh. Once the player reads it and authorises the field test, I want the player to receive a Private Terminal message and update the numbers of a couple of War Assets. At the moment I'm not trying the war assets until I can get the private terminal message to fire off correctly.

If any of it needs further explanation just let me know. :)
Sil
User

Postby giftfish » 31 Oct 2016, 21:48

@Sil -- I didn't ask you to explain what you did. I asked what you want to achieve.

Tell me in three sentences or less what you are trying to get the game to do. Leave out all the technical stuff.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Sil » 31 Oct 2016, 22:01

I did tell you though, the last point was explaining what I was aiming to do. I want the private terminal message to appear when the player clicks to authorise the spectre terminal message. Something seems to be wrong with the conditional, from what I can see.

Edit:

Nevermind on the issue at hand, lets just leave it. I've been trying to get a spectre terminal message to work for roughly a month and a half now without success. I just can't make a mod this way, I don't learn well from tutorials, I learn by chatting with people who know how to do it. It's how I learnt to mod Warcraft 3 and Dawn of War back in the day, and it's too stressful and long-winded this way. I really love writing up new ideas, new assets and things like that, but the programming side is beyond me. Thank you, though, to everyone who have been trying to help me, I really despise giving up as it feels cowardly, but I think I have to do it.

If anyone wants my files they can have them all; my mod files, my new war asset descriptions, the images I had collected and altered to use for some of my new war assets, all my spectre terminal situations I had fully written out, all the plans I had. There is a lot of text-based information. If anyone wants any of it, you are more than welcome to it. I'd be glad to see it used somewhere.
Sil
User

Postby giftfish » 01 Nov 2016, 01:00

Sil wrote: Essentially, I want the game to send the player the Bioweapon Field Test spectre terminal message when they listen to the varren audio log on Priority Sur'kesh. Once the player reads it and authorises the field test, I want the player to receive a Private Terminal message and update the numbers of a couple of War Assets. At the moment I'm not trying the war assets until I can get the private terminal message to fire off correctly.

Yep, this is what I asked for, but it got lost in the wall of text. Let's try this once more.

Varren Audio Log
1. What: Set a new plot associated with reading the log.
2. How: Use the dialogue editor to insert a new State Transition that calls a State Event from a new Startup file.
3. Details:
  • Create new State Event "X" in the Startup file
  • State event "X" sets plot "Y" to true
  • In the dialogue editor, insert "X" into any State Transition field containing -1; do not alter the StateTransitionParam
  • Insert a reference to the startup file in your bioengine.ini in the coalesced, as below
Code: Select all
<Section name="engine.startuppackages">
     <Property name="dlcstartuppackage" type="3">Startup_MOD_DLCNAME</Property>
     <Property name="dlcstartuppackagename" type="0">Startup_MOD_DLCNAME</Property>
     <Property name="package" type="3">PlotManagerAutoDLC_MOD_DLCNAME</Property>
</Section>

Check BackOff's Startup file if you need further info on creating a State Event.

Spectre Terminal Message
1. What: Send a new spectre email associated with reading varren audio log
2. How: Create a conditional and TLK content, and insert the relevant mail entry into the coalesced.
3. Details:
  • Choose an integer, "Z", for the new mail plot.
  • Create a new conditional, "C". It needs to check that Y=true & Z = i0.
  • Assign TLK strings for the email title ("T") and text ("E").
  • Use the above data to insert the coalesced entry under the spectre terminal as in the example below
Code: Select all
<Section name="sfxgamecontent.sfxguidata_mail_citadel">
      <Property name="maillist">
         <Value type="3">(MailTitle=T, MailBody=E, MailStatePlot=Z, SendConditional=C, SmallImage="", ActionButtonText=713377, ActionText=724471)</Value>
      </Property>
</Section>

The ActionButton/ActionText are vanilla TLK references and can be changed at your discretion.

-------
That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

To summarize:

1. One new state event & plot bool in the startup file.
2. One edit in one dialogue file.
3. One conditional.
4. Two TLK strings.
5. One mail plot.

X= State Event/Transition
Y= Varren Log Plot Bool
Z= Mail Plot
C= Conditional ID
T= TLK email title
E= TLK email text
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Sil » 01 Nov 2016, 15:58

I wrote a long response but lost it as my browser crashed. Basically I thanked you for taking the time to write that out, and decided I'd use the guide you wrote to try one last attempt. The dialogue bit I'd already managed to do.

When it came to the spectre terminal part, I followed your process but no luck still. No private terminal message would arrive, I couldn't use mailstateplot for the conditional as it was a number over 32,767 it would not compile, which has confused me as the email tutorial by Inquiring says you can use any number you want for the mailstateplot but it has to be unique (and it did work to get the spectre terminal message to appear when I used the always true conditional kinkojiro told me about when using a very high mailstateplot). It won't work, and to be honest, I'm tired up of failing again and again and again for a month and a half. My mod has failed, so lets just leave it. But thank you for trying hard to help me out.
Sil
User

Postby giftfish » 01 Nov 2016, 17:14

Sil wrote:When it came to the spectre terminal part, I followed your process but no luck still. No private terminal message would arrive, I couldn't use mailstateplot for the conditional as it was a number over 32,767 it would not compile, which has confused me as the email tutorial by Inquiring says you can use any number you want for the mailstateplot but it has to be unique (and it did work to get the spectre terminal message to appear when I used the always true conditional kinkojiro told me about when using a very high mailstateplot).

You always have to account for when the research has been posted.

Modding ME3 has been a learning process the entire way, since there is no official creation kit and therefore, no instructions. The closest thing we have to the latter is UDK and its wiki, and certain things can also be gleaned from the DAO toolset wiki. Beyond that, we have to figure out everything by logic and trial and error. Initial instructions posted on how to do something -- especially back in 2013 -- are bound to be incomplete or in some cases, incorrect. It all depends on how exhaustive the research is.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Sil » 02 Nov 2016, 17:04

Yeah, some of the stuff is pretty ancient, but it did work at times so thats where it starts to get very confusing. But, it defeated me, I always struggled with things akin to programming in modding, it was my biggest downfall in most things I've worked on. The place I was most successful modding was Wc3, as I could easily make new models/textures for it, I was brilliant at creating new units, and I was alright at maps, so I had a solid basing and could find a way to achieve most things I wanted to, and if I couldn't then it was never hard to find a team to work with. When it comes to ME3, I can write well and I can plan well, but the rest I really struggle to wrap my head about :p.

Still, I'm glad I worked on it, even though I'm pissed at myself for not getting anything of mine into the game. Speaking of, since I've given this up, would it be fine to post up the various things I had worked on for this mod in this thread? So if anyone wants to use the text, or the plans, they can as an open resource?
Sil
User

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Ideas and Requests