Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Master List of Deleted/Unused/Bugged Content

User-centric area to discuss ideas and request mods. Toolset modders may also float ideas for new mods here; if pursued, the thread can be relocated to Mods in Development.

Master List of Deleted/Unused/Bugged Content

Postby crazyrabbits » 23 Mar 2014, 06:55

I've been meaning to write this topic for a while.

I've been researching the game off and on for the last little while, and I've been continually surprised by the amount of deleted and unused content that was seemingly left by the wayside. I'm not just talking about the deleted voice content from Priority: Earth, but entire characters who got short-shifted or had large chunks of dialogue that just vanished into the ether and never restored, even after multiple official patches.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that ME3 has one of the largest bodies of unused content out of Bioware's library of games, and is only rivaled by Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (which also had a large amount of content cut prior to release). The scenes mentioned below in the list are sourced from files pulled from the disc, reconstructions members of this forum (and others) have created, and links to text descriptions of the unused content.

It's my intent to catalogue all of the deleted content in this topic (ordered in their appearance in-game). Feel free to mention any examples I've missed, and I will include it in this OP.

----
Unused Dialogue/Scenes

Prologue: Earth:

Extended Alliance Defense Committee conversation (Final Hours of ME3 app)
Youtube link

Anderson dialogue after jumping out of the burning committee room ("God, how could we let this happen?") (XBox 360 private beta)

Additional Reaper attack ambient cinematic/alternate room entry and design for child encounter (from E3 2011 demo)
Youtube link

Post-Reaper attack extended Shepard/Anderson conversation (Final Hours of ME3 app)
Youtube link

Alternate Normandy arrival scene (Final Hours of ME3 app)
Youtube link

Ashley firing weapon at Reapers while Anderson and Shepard talk (from E3 2011 demo)
Youtube link

Alternate/early Normandy departure of Earth shot (from leaked Nov 2011 beta)
Youtube link

Priority: Mars: Scrapped reference to Anderson appearance during post-Earth escape discussion
Mod.gib.me link (search for reference "biod_cithub_001procit_loc_int.promar_anderson_vid_v_d.promar_anderson_vid_v_dlg")

Citadel: Volus Ambassador: Post-mission Zaeed glitched/unused dialogue
Nexusmods page
Reconstructed scene

Citadel - General Conversations: Ken/Gabby original acquisition dialogue
Nexusmods page
Reconstructed scene

Citadel - General Conversations: Post-mission Samara glitched/unused dialogue
ME3Explorer forum link (see reference "biod_nor_204citsam_intro_loc_int.norsam_liara_getmission_m_d.norsam_liara_getmission_m_dlg")

Priority: The Citadel II: Post-mission unused Liara/Ashley conversation
Youtube link

Citadel - General Conversations: Ashley Williams bugged memorial scene dialogue
Youtube link

Citadel - Romance: Bugged Ashley date dialogue
Reconstructed scene
Project page

Priority: Geth Dreadnought: Unused Tali/FemShep romance dialogue
Youtube link

Normandy - General: Admiral Xen quest - post-mission completion conversation with Hackett
Youtube link

Normandy - General: Unused/unfinished Normandy "saboteur" plotline (plot flags still in-game)
BSN link

Normandy - General: Unused Joker lines after saboteur plot resolution
ME Plot Database link

Normandy - Romance: Bugged Ashley romance scene dialogue
Youtube link

Priority: Earth:

Unused Geth Prime discussion/combat dialogue
Youtube link
ME Plot Database link

Unused Grunt discussion/combat dialogue
Youtube link
ME Plot Database link

Unused Jack discussion/combat dialogue
Youtube link
ME Plot Database link

Unused Jacob discussion/combat dialogue
Youtube link
ME Plot Database link

Unused Zaeed discussion/combat dialogue
Youtube link
ME Plot Database link

Unused "beam rush" Joker/Anderson/Shepard dialogue
Youtube link

Original "beam rush" scene for High-EMS/Low-EMS
Reconstructed scene

Additional Anderson/Shepard conversation after trip through Conduit
Youtube link

Additional dialogue during TIM confrontation
Youtube link #1
Youtube link #2

Longer final Anderson conversation
Reconstructed scene

Endgame nature sounds for "Guardian's Garden"?
Dropbox link

Ghostly trees in Catalyst room
Bioware Social Network link
Imgur link

Additional Catalyst (refuse?) dialogue
Youtube link

Unused Text

Citadel - Unused Quest in .TLK file: Admiral Xen Geth experimentation quest

Citadel - Early Quest Description: Aria dialogue about retaking Omega
Hold The Line link

Arrae: Ex-Cerberus Scientists: Additional Jacob dialogue about Ronald Taylor's fate
MEWiki link

Unused Intel - Khan's Network Exposed: Requires Citadel DLC. Gives intel bonus of Ammo Capacity +10%, Power Recharge Speed +10%, Shield Regen Speed +10% or Max Grenades +1.
Bioware Social link

Unused War Asset - Alliance: "General Sherman" (appears as "Allied Reinforcements" in-game, intended to be acquired through Facebook)
MEWiki link

Unused War Asset - Crucible: "Element Zero Core" (starts at 200 strength; not a result of exploration; has Crucible picture at the War Terminal; possibly tied with original Omega plotline)
MEWiki link

Unused War Asset - Ex-Cerberus: "Cerberus Flotilla" (starts at 100 strength; identified at War Terminal with same "Cerberus Fighters" picture as the Advanced Fighter Squadron)
MEWiki link

Priority: Horizon: Unused Horizon codex entry with audio and associated image
MEWiki link

Normandy - General Conversations: Ashley/Shepard conversation about death
Wikia link

Unused Textures

General - Romance Unused Tali-sans-mask picture/concept art
Reddit link

Other

Unused/alternate leveling system (from E3 2011 demo)
Youtube link

Dev demo reels (Edi and Thane showreel?)
Demo Reel #1 Dropbox link
Demo Reel #2 Dropbox link
Last edited by crazyrabbits on 11 Oct 2016, 13:09, edited 16 times in total.

crazyrabbits has been thanked by:
crazyrabbits
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Re: Master List of Deleted/Unused/Bugged Content

Postby WarrantyVoider » 23 Mar 2014, 11:47

moved to knowledge base, good work, thank you!

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section

WarrantyVoider has been thanked by:
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Postby crazyrabbits » 23 Mar 2014, 19:38

Many thanks!
crazyrabbits
User

Postby crazyrabbits » 07 Aug 2014, 21:28

Added:

Priority: Earth: Additional Anderson/Shepard conversation after trip through Conduit
crazyrabbits
User

Postby crazyrabbits » 16 Aug 2014, 09:50

Added entries from early gameplay demos:

Prologue: Earth: Additional Reaper attack ambient cinematic/alternate room entry and design for child encounter (from E3 2011 demo)
Youtube link

Prologue: Earth: Ashley firing weapon at Reapers while Anderson and Shepard talk (from E3 2011 demo)
Youtube link

Prologue: Earth: Alternate/early Normandy departure of Earth shot (from leaked Nov 2011 beta)
Youtube link

What is becoming increasingly clear is that beyond the trial scene (which one of the developers mentions as having just taken place before in a preview of the E3 demo), large amounts of content were changed for the prologue mission. In addition to the already-linked deleted scenes from the Final Hours of ME3 app, there was going to be an additional ambient cutscene showing several Reapers landing and beginning to attack just before the player takes control of Shepard, as well as Ashley doing more during the escape (firing at Reapers while Anderson and Shepard talked) and a more subdued alternate final shot of Earth just before the title hits.

The events leading to the encounter with the child were also changed greatly. Instead of entering a building in the retail game, you had to jump down into a hole just after shooting Husks running towards you. This would explain the continuity gaffe of the kid leaving the building he was playing on top of in the opening shot and suddenly appearing in a vent at the top of a different building across the street.

I've also found that (as per the first link) that there was a slightly different leveling system, which used a different interface (you remained on the character page when leveling) and had effects like upgrading the player's P/R score, etc.

I've also found a post today on the BSN (went back there to look something up) mentioning videos from the From Ashes DLC files that show unfinished renders of Ashley/Kaidan and Liara viewing some type of Prothean information, as well as a mention of a video file in the main game that shows your squadmates being crushed by Makos(!) during the beam run during Priority: Earth. I don't know if the poster was mixing up the latter with the Extended Cut or something else, but he was certain of what he saw. I will research this when I get some time.

Interesting stuff.

EDIT: I was able to use the DLC Editor to extract the video files from the From Ashes DLC, and found three BIK videos ("dlcmiddle", "flashback1" and "LifePod_FullScene") of a slightly alternate/early version of the scenes where Shepard accesses the computers/touches Javik and gets the flashbacks. There aren't many differences between it and the final game, but the animation is unfinished or in very rough form (you can see the wireframes they use to animate the characters at several points), there are more shots of your squadmates - Liara and Kaidan, in this case - watching Shepard and the computer as he accesses it, and the final scene of Javik laying in the stasis pod and talking with Victory is done entirely from a side profile instead of the varied top-down/side shots we get in the finished product.

I've uploaded them to Dropbox in case anyone wants to see them on their own time.
crazyrabbits
User

Postby Erik JS » 20 Sep 2014, 19:12

crazyrabbits wrote:Citadel - Unused Quest in .TLK file: Admiral Xen Geth experimentation quest

Regarding that, I had something lying around here which I never actually bothered to upload to YouTube until now. I found this after looking through that big dialogue dump with flags. One of Hackett's conversations checks for a certain flag, and if you set that flag to true, then this happens:
ME3 Private Server Emulator: @ ME3Tweaks | @ SourceForge | @ GitHub | @ Dropbox

Erik JS has been thanked by:
Erik JS
User

Have thanks: 77 time

Postby crazyrabbits » 21 Sep 2014, 20:48

Erik JS wrote:
crazyrabbits wrote:Citadel - Unused Quest in .TLK file: Admiral Xen Geth experimentation quest

Regarding that, I had something lying around here which I never actually bothered to upload to YouTube until now. I found this after looking through that big dialogue dump with flags. One of Hackett's conversations checks for a certain flag, and if you set that flag to true, then this happens:

I will add this in - excellent find!

This was something we were talking about in the Massive War Assets and Emails thread, and I even said at the time that there was likely to be more material referencing it on-disc. I get the feeling that it only got as far along as being a Spectre authorization quest (and finding out the end result later) before it was deleted.

That said, I can kind of understand why something like this was deleted. They basically gloss over the whole issue in a couple lines of dialogue. Either it was a really short quest or it probably felt like extraneous/strange dialogue. Still, what a find.

Do any of the other Hackett conversations have flag checks that aren't triggered?
crazyrabbits
User

Postby Erik JS » 22 Sep 2014, 15:34

Well, from what I looked through, I couldn't find anything more. In Xen's case, I thought that maybe adjacent flags (like 21203, 21204...) could lead to more hidden things, but some were related to Zaeed's quest, so I couldn't figure any "pattern" for this (it's possible that BioWare actually overwrote Xen's with Zaeed's, but this is just speculation).

I suspect there could be never-triggered-before conversations inside DLC's, but no one made a "big dump" for them yet.

Also, there's something more about Xen's quest:

Spoiler:

There's a console command called giveallgawassets which does what its name says. It's possible that more hidden things come up when this command is used, so check it out by yourself and see if you can spot something odd.
ME3 Private Server Emulator: @ ME3Tweaks | @ SourceForge | @ GitHub | @ Dropbox
Erik JS
User

Have thanks: 77 time

Postby AVPen » 23 Sep 2014, 06:20

Erik JS wrote:Well, from what I looked through, I couldn't find anything more. In Xen's case, I thought that maybe adjacent flags (like 21203, 21204...) could lead to more hidden things, but some were related to Zaeed's quest, so I couldn't figure any "pattern" for this (it's possible that BioWare actually overwrote Xen's with Zaeed's, but this is just speculation).

I suspect there could be never-triggered-before conversations inside DLC's, but no one made a "big dump" for them yet.

Also, there's something more about Xen's quest:

Spoiler:

There's a console command called giveallgawassets which does what its name says. It's possible that more hidden things come up when this command is used, so check it out by yourself and see if you can spot something odd.

As I mentioned in a previous post in my MEWAM thread, I went though a ton of files searching for anything additional for the cut Xen sidequest, but found very little, apart form text dialogue in the TLK and several entries in the Coalesced. The script for the cut quest is all present in the TLK (including character dialogue, war asset descriptions, emails, etc), but there is NO character audio dialogue in any of the pcc files that I checked out - the Hackett audio in the video shown is actually the first and only audio I've seen for that quest. There was some war asset object data for the quest in one of the Refugee Camp pcc files (specifically, the asset upgrades depending on if Xen lived or died during the quest), suggesting that the quest ended at the Refugee Camp, but nothing else in that file.

Additionally, there is some evidence in the data I looked at that suggests that Officer Noles was at one point involved with the quest, but that the Xen sidequest was cut and replaced with the Batarian code hacker quest (the one with possibly Balak involved), possibly later in development.

The war assets data for the quest is also all still present in the Coalesced as well, hence why that information shows up when you used the "giveallgawassets" command, Erik.

EDIT: In rewatching the video again, I think it's more than possible that BioWare went through several different iterations of the Xen quest before cutting it altogether during development - the Hackett scene suggests that Shepard would never encounter Xen during the sidequest, while other portions of the quest's text and script in the TLK file suggests that there would be a cinematic confrontation and choice at the end of the quest. My guess, it was scrapped in the middle of the game's development (since apart from Hackett, there is no other dialogue audio I've found for it), most likely replaced with the Baterian Codes quest instead.
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby crazyrabbits » 23 Sep 2014, 16:37

Hmmm... is there enough to make a mod? The Spectre Authorization Terminal message, Shadow Broker Terminal message and Hackett cutscene? It's better than nothing.

Erik JS wrote:I suspect there could be never-triggered-before conversations inside DLC's, but no one made a "big dump" for them yet.

Back when I was a member of the HoldTheLine forum, someone did dumps of the files for themselves, but I think they only did the bare minimum of surface work. I don't think there was any exploration of the PCC files, nor the video files for any of them. I discovered the FA rough video clips above when I downloaded a dump of the files, but still don't know how to do PCC file viewing or research.

As I don't have the space on my computer for the game at the moment (I've unfortunately filled it with other games - have to upgrade my rig soon), I am unable to check the core files. However, maybe you could do something for me. If you have a chance, look into the BIK video files for Priority Earth - I was told by a user on the BSN that there's a video clip of an alternate conduit run sequence where Shepard's squadmates get crushed by a Mako.
crazyrabbits
User

Next

Return to Mod Ideas and Requests