Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

ME3Exp v2.0 | Ongoing Development

General news and announcements for ME3Explorer.

ME3Exp v2.0 | Ongoing Development

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 24 Apr 2016, 00:51

As some of you may have noticed, the Stable that was just released is labeled 2.0, which is a departure from our previous versioning system. This is a reflection of our new development strategy, which, while slightly more complicated, will result in a better experience for users.

Common practice in the past when someone came to the forum and asked for help because they couldn't get the toolset to work was to tell them to download the latest developer release and see if that fixed it. This should no longer happen. The average user, who is using the toolset to install mods, should never be directed to the Beta releases, they should stick with the current Stable. If there is a critical bug in the latest stable, then the Stable will be updated.

The Beta releases are now a separate branch, and the only people who should be using them are advanced users, (mod creators) who want the bleeding edge changes and are prepared to deal with (and report) bugs.

So, in light of this, the new versioning system will work like this:
  • Stable releases will be 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, .... 3.0 and so forth
  • Beta releases will be whatever the current stable is plus a third number: 2.0.1, 2.0.2, etc

The first Beta release, 2.0.1, is already up.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Re: Ongoing Development

Postby giftfish » 24 Apr 2016, 01:22

Well explained, Sir, much better than I could have done :)

To add a couple details onto this:

1. The new advice about "use the stable and not the beta" is already on the wiki, portal, and Nexusmods. Let this become your new mantra; spread the word.

2. Kfreon will be forking his tools from the rest of the toolset in preparation for a total re-write.

This means that folks should should NOT submit issues for his tools to the existing toolset Issues page on Git. We *cannot* incorporate fixes for these issues to the new Beta branch, as the Beta branch will periodically be fully merged into the Master branch, creating a new Stable. Merging changes in from K's tools would mean we'd have to perform the same kind of exhaustive testing as we've been doing for the last 6 months, which is untenable.

In short, the current versions of K's tools in the toolset are in archival state. They will not be touched. If/when he proceeds with a re-write and it is finished and tested, then *maybe* they will be merged back into the toolset. K is currently considering his options on this.

If you find bugs with any of his tools wait until he creates his fork -- which should be soon, I'm sure -- and instead, submit them there. That way he's aware and can keep an eye of them for the re-write. If you submit these issues to the main toolset page, we'll just end up tagging them with a "wont fix" and closing them.

------------

The new dev model and versioning is a great thing. It will mean more stables, fewer bugs, and releases on a much faster schedule. The change to K's tools is also a good thing, as it means folks will not have to vanilla and rebuild trees for a very, very long time ;)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby KFreon » 24 Apr 2016, 11:27

Now that I look, I actually forked months ago.

Now, rules regarding bug reports there are as follows:
- Texture issues: Things like colours being wrong, image files not loading in the IMAGE ENGINE tool.
- UI improvements: Things like, search bar should do something else, a button that does this, a new panel that shows these things.

Bugs NOT TO REPORT:
- UI issues like: animations not working, things staying deselected, thumbnails not generating, breaking when you click a button.
- Poor performance
- Image files not loading through TPFTools or Texplorer but working in ImageEngine.
- Autofix/scan issues
- Format detection issues

All of the above rules are due to things that are going to be completely rewritten e.g. the UI, so reporting "this button breaks" is pointless since that button won't even exist in its current form anymore.

KFreon has been thanked by:
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby giftfish » 24 Apr 2016, 14:14

@K -- Two details. One is a question on your issue guidelines :)

1. I'll make sure I'm clearer on the wiki and in the forum sticky here about what should and shouldn't be reported, and a brief explanation of what's going on with your tools. Otherwise you might end up having to manage more new issues than you'd like, lol.

2. What about functionality changes that aren't bugs and aren't UI-related? "Enhancements"?

This is really the big one. When people see "re-write", they think that's the time to make suggestions for new features, or modifications to existing features. Stuff not necessarily UI-related. Do you want these issues submitted? I think most of my recent issues for your tools on Git were of this nature, so if you want these issues, then I can resubmit them, with a weblink to the original issue.

Once I know, I'll also make this clear on the wiki :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Re: ME3Exp v2.0 | Ongoing Development

Postby KFreon » 24 Apr 2016, 21:45

I was trying to remember the word "enhancements".
Yes, enhancements are fine but try not to get too detailed.
Things are going to change and likely invalidate any particular changes you're expressing.
Best to describe why you want the enhancement, what it offers that isn't already there, and a brief example of what kind of thing you're thinking of.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Re: ME3Exp v2.0 | Ongoing Development

Postby giftfish » 24 Apr 2016, 21:57

@K -- Okie doke.

I created a brand new subsection in the Bug Reporting article on the wiki, with a link to your fork and instructions. Hopefully, folks heed the guidelines, lol.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Return to Announcements