Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

MEHEMv0.2 and later Customization and modification

General references and tutorials not related to textures, meshes, or content modding.This board is locked and will be archived once transferred to the wiki. New content should be posted directly to the wiki.

MEHEMv0.2 and later Customization and modification

Postby The Fob » 24 Nov 2012, 02:50

Hi everyone,

I wanted to open a thread here on how to customise MEHEM v0.2 to v0.4 to you liking (most of these tweaks work with all three versions, if they don't, I'll specify it in the posts).
If you run into trouble with trying any of this in v0.4, please post here to let me know.
If you don't know what MEHEM is, check This thread over at BSN for more info.

I'll update this occasionally if more suggestions come up.

For most of this stuff, you will need a HEX editor, for example this one. Do NOT use ME3Explorer for HEX edits in DLC. Saving HEX edits directly in ME3Explorer may prevent DLC authentification so stick to an external HEX editor for this.

In this spoiler are the old notes for older version of the mod (do not read if you have v0.5 or later)
Spoiler:
----------------------------------
NOTE: If you use the MEHEM installer (by wavion), you will not have access to the single files before the install. In this case:
Procedure 1: Extract all your DLCs )recommended)
- Open ME3Explorer (latest DVN)
- Go to Developer Tools -> DLC Toold -> DLC Editor 2
- Got to Files -> Extract all DLCs
You can now acces the files under <Your ME3 Install Dir>\BioGame\DLC\DLC_CON_END\CoocedPCConsole\

Alternatively (not recommended)
- Get the ME3Explorer and open it. Go to the Tools menu and click "DLCExplorer"
- Click the open symbol in the top left corner (the yellow folder icon)
- Open the file <your ME3 install directory>\BIOGame\DLC\DLC_CON_END\CookedPCConsole\Defailt.sfar"
- Open the folder tree that comes up and search rof the file you want to modify
- Right clivk on the file and select "Extract". Save the file anywhere
- Do your modifications as specified here
- Once that is done, right click on the file in the DLCExplorer again and select "Replace"
- Navigate to the file you just modified and double click it (the file should now be highlighted in yellow)
- Click the save "symbol", just to the right of the "open" symbol in the upper left corner of the DLCExplorer window and wait for the DLCExplorer to recompile the file (this may take a moment, you'll get a message when it's done)
- That's it. You are all set
----------------------------------

Ok, to start things off, I'll explain a very simple HEX edit with which you can change which casual outfit Shepad wears during the Memorial scene:
Don't be afraid, even if you are not very familiar with HEX editors, this is a very simple procedure and once you make a backup, you can't really break anything that is not replaceable anyway. Just do make a backup first.
You'll have to do this BEFORE you install the mod (or if you already installed it, you'll have to replace all the files you change during these instruction again)

If you have MEHEM v0.5 or later installed:
1. Go to <Your ME3 install folder>\BioGame\DLC\DLC_CON_MEHEM\CooledPCConsole\. If you have an earlier version, you need to modify the equivalent file from step 2 in DLC_CON_END
2. Open the file "BioD_End002_400Guardian.pcc" in a HEX editor
3. Go to the byte at the offset 43BA87 (or 4438663 in decimal base) The byte right in front of your cursor should be a "01".
4. Change the byte to the number of the casual outfit you want (see the list below). Make sure you override the existing byte and don't insert a new one. Once you are done, the "01" should be replaced by your number and the next byte should be a "00".
5. Save the file and close the HEX editor
6. Enjoy the mod

If you have an older version of MEHEM installed:
Spoiler:
If you don't have Leviathan installed:
1. Unpack the MEHEMv0_2.rar archive.
2. Go to the folder "<MEHEM Archive>\DLC_CON_END\CookedPCConsole\" and open the file "BioD_End002_400Guardian.pcc" in a HEX editor
3. Go to the byte at the offset 43BA87 (or 4438663 in decimal base) The byte right in front of your cursor should be a "01".
4. Change the byte to the number of the casual outfit you want (see the list below). Make sure you override the existing byte and don't insert a new one. Once you are done, the "01" should be replaced by your number and the next byte should be a "00".
6. Install and enjoy the mod

If you have Leviathan (and the MEHEM fix):
1. Unpack the MEHEMv0_2 - Leviathan Fix.rar archive.
2. Go to the folder "<MEHEM Leviathan Fix Archive>\DLC_EXP_Pack001\CookedPCConsole\" and open the file "BioD_End002_400Guardian.pcc" in a HEX editor
3. Go to the byte at the offset 44162F (or 4462127 in decimal base) The byte right in front of your cursor should be a "01".
6. Install and enjoy the mod

Casual Outfit List:
(I hope I got these right, send me a message if you find one that is wrong)
00: Shepard's standard Normady wear (the same one that e.g. Kaidan, Adams and Traynor wear)
01: Dress uniform (this is the default in MEHEM v0.2)
02: Science Outfit
03: Brown Jacket (the one you also had in ME2)
04: Black working uniform with yellow stripes
05: Not sure which one this is, might be the same as 04 (?)
06: N7 hoody (if you have it)
07: Underwear (That would be really inappropriate ... I am sure we'll see videos soon enough :))
08: Shepard's torn armor with injured arms, just like in MEHEM 0.1
09: N7 leather Jacket for MaleShep and the dress for FemShep

Note: Of course, if you modified your coalesced.ini or change/add casual outfits for Shep, you can use all of these and you might have to apply some changes to the list above, according to what exactly you modified. Bot chances are, if you did that, you already know what you are doing anyway.

Ok, hope this works out and let me know if I got any of the list entries wrong (which is very possible).

The Fob has been thanked by:
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Re: MEHEM v0.2: Customization and modification

Postby The Fob » 24 Nov 2012, 02:54

If you want to change music within the mod, you can do it, using my tutorial in the last post on this page
This is still a rather complicated process however, and I can only recommend it for users who feel confident of doing it after reading through the instructions.

EDITL Oh and hey, I made another topic for modding the names on the memorial wall. thought I'd link it here as well if people are interested:
manual-change-of-the-names-on-the-memorial-wall-t129.htm
The Fob
Modder

Postby The Fob » 24 Nov 2012, 05:12

And another easy HEX edit. This time, I'll show you how to "heal" Shepard for the memorial scene, i.e. how to remove the injuries from his/her face:
You'll have to do this BEFORE you install the mod (or if you already installed it, you'll have to replace all the files you change during these instruction again)

1. If you use v0.5, go to <Your ME3 install folder>\BioGame\DLC\DLC_CON_MEHEM\CooledPCConsole\. If you have an earlier version, you need to modify the equivalent file from step 2 in DLC_CON_END
2. Open the file "BioD_End002.pcc" in a HEX editor
3. Go to the byte at the offset 4D8F9 (or 317689 in decimal base) The byte right in front of your cursor should be a "7D".
4. Change the byte to "7E". Make sure you override the existing byte and don't insert a new one. Once you are done, the "7D" should be replaced by "7E" and the next byte should be a "00".
6. If you have v0.5, you are done. If you have an earlier version, you now need to install the changed file into the mod

If you have v0.3 or later installed, you'll need to repeat the procedure above at the offset 4DE4E (319054).
If you have v0.4 or later installed, you need to repeat the procedure one more time at the offset 4D3A4 (316324).

Thanks to thatdude90210 over at BSN for suggesting that I put this here.
The Fob
Modder

Postby Eudaimonium » 25 Nov 2012, 12:09

You're going well out of your way to help people mod their game to their liking.

I'm impressed. Very nice job, man. :)

So yeah, *this* much until we have the scene with drinking beer with Garrus :p
One of few surviving members of species that actually loved Mass Effect endings.
Eudaimonium
Emeritus

Have thanks: 33 time

Postby The Fob » 26 Nov 2012, 08:19

Thanks Eudaimonium. It's not like I don't have an agenda here though. These are questions that are going to come up sooner or later anyway. This way, I can just respond with a link.
To quote another science fiction icon: "The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest."
:)

Ok, on to the next one, today's episode: How to skip the stargazer scene:

If you use v0.5:
1. Go to <Your ME3 install folder>\BioGame\DLC\DLC_CON_MEHEM\CooledPCConsole\.
2. Open the file "BioD_End002_730MemorialGreen.pcc" in a HEX editor
3. Go to the byte at the offset 1C57B5B (or 29719387 in decimal base) The bytes right in front of your cursor should be a "F4 0C".
4. Change the byte to "97 01". Make sure you override the existing byte and don't insert a new one. Once you are done, the "A5" should be replaced by "A6" and the next byte should be a "1A".
6. Tou are done.

If you have an early version (v0.4 and below) installed:
1. Go to the folder<Your ME3 install folder>\BioGame\DLC\ DLC_CON_END
2. Open the file "BioD_End002_730MemorialGreen.pcc" in a HEX editor
3. Go to the byte at the offset CF51B5 (or 13586869 in decimal base) The byte right in front of your cursor should be a "A5".
4. Change the byte to "A6". Make sure you override the existing byte and don't insert a new one. Once you are done, the "A5" should be replaced by "A6" and the next byte should be a "1A".
6. Tou now need to install the changed file into the mod
The Fob
Modder

Postby Rhaziell » 07 Dec 2012, 16:27

Hi there!

I'm a programmer, and I'm looking for somebody to help me with creating a mod to ME3, that replaces original ending, with Liara as a main character that rescues Shepard (subtitles on the dark screen, like Shepard was unconscious, only hearing Liara coming back for him). After that I'd like to reuse scene with Ashley/Kaidan in hospital, making Shepard lying in bed as one of them, and changing Shepard model to LI. Later, I would like to ask Ali Hillis (Liara VO) to lend her voice and say a few sentences as Liara while Shepard is unconscious.
I know it's crazy, but what the hell? :) At least I'm going to try. Ali Hillis seems like a nice person, very supportive for her fans (just look for her on yt).

Are You interested?

Pleas reply anyhow.
Rhaziell
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 07 Dec 2012, 16:56

Hi there,
guess what, Im a programmer too^^ and I can say the same as here : I guess we are simply not enough ppl to take mod requests. However we can teach you all we know about changing things in ME3, but how you use it to get your mod, is your task then :p Maybe first make a quick run through the tutorials, to see what common things you can change yet, then if you are not afraid, download the source code from SVN and have a look at the code, its pretty straightforward and explains things better than f.e. me in words^^ if you are still stuck, send me a pm and you can get my skype contact

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Postby Rhaziell » 09 Dec 2012, 12:17

Thank You for quick reply! :) About lack of people, I'm pretty sure there will be enough soon, as quick as they discover about this project. Right now I'm trying to swap models (or add NPC looks as armors to the game), and then create a movie on yt to gather us some support. Don't give up hope :)
Sure I'll start with tutorials.
Rhaziell
User

Postby Rhaziell » 09 Dec 2012, 12:38

Haven't found edit option: I thought you meant Ali Hillis VO request, not mod programming :D
Rhaziell
User

Postby Honorable Ensign » 08 Jan 2013, 02:40

Hello all. I just wanted to write up how to change a few things with MEHEM without using the whole mod in case it's of interest to somebody. It's all pretty straightforward.

Just want to have the Geth live but don't want the rest of MEHEM? Fortunately, since "the Geth living" is just a matter of changing some epilogue slides, this is pretty easy to do.

1. You'll need MEHEM (well, part of it) but not installed, so uninstall if necessary or download it if you don't have it.
2. Now, in the instructions file, scroll down to the "Add-In" section.
3. Follow these instructions, but don't install the rest of MEHEM.

There you go. The new geth slides will appear when you choose Destroy.

In a similar fashion, if you prefer, you can change Normandy leaving the planet to MEHEM's Normandy Mars flyby by changing End03_NorDepart.bik. Just open up default.sfar (steps 6-8 in MEHEM instructions) and find End03_NorDepart.bik in the Movies folder. Right click and replace with the same-named file in MEHEM/DLC_CON_END/Movies. Save. I believe this works on more than just Destroy. It might be all endings but Refusal.

Honorable Ensign has been thanked by:
Honorable Ensign
User

Have thanks: 2 time

Next

Return to General References and Tutorials