Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mesh scaling

Area for discussions related to meshes/models, 3D modeling programs, and the like. Can cross over into texture-related discussion. As with other non-toolset related areas, answers not guaranteed.

Mesh scaling

Postby sansuni » 27 Oct 2015, 01:36

Hey, I just started modding ME3 and I am already facing several problems. I just used meshplorer to replace James Vega's body and hair with a female characters and it worked perfectly, it looked a bit tall, but it wasn't a problem. (I am still trying to figure out how to scale meshes) Up until I replaced his face... Body worked but the face stretched all the way outside the map... Replacing it with the original mesh doesn't work. I already started setting up the voice files, so I would like some advice on that. (does replacing male faces with female faces cause problems? Anyone ever tried that before?) But I think I will figure that out somehow. (As I backed up the original files, I can always start from scratch.)

My second and biggest problem is that scaling issue I mentioned above. I am trying to replace catalyst with Avina, but since catalyst is child sized, nothing works. I couldn't find any information that could help about that, so please help!

Catalyst has 114 bones and every other mesh has including Avina's mesh has 110 bones, so I edited it using UDK, that worked and it imported, I launched the game and it didn't crash but after all that I found Avina to be dwarf sized. She looks like a crushed bug, I mean it. :D It is caused by catalyst's size, but I couldn't figure out how I can change it. Please help me with that.
sansuni
Modder

Have thanks: 7 time

Re: I need some help.

Postby sansuni » 27 Oct 2015, 19:35

Bump...

Any help? Anyone?
sansuni
Modder

Postby The Fob » 27 Oct 2015, 19:55

Hmmmm, never really worked with scaling much. I can just tell you that I know that scaling can be handled within Interp groups (i.e. Matinee sequences). You will find scaling InterpGroups in a lot of pcc files that are handling scaling of objects during cutscenes.
Otherwise, I'd check the StuntActors and their children. For characters, usually, all the meshes, materials and color tint variations are handled through their stuntactors, so I wouldn't be surprised if the scaling is handled there as well. Best way to do it is to open the pcc file in PCC Editor 2, go to tree view and look through the StuntActor's children (don't forget to use interpreter to see arrays properly).
Last thing I can think of is animation sets. They can also contain scaling information and since default animation sets can also be linked to stunt actors, I guess it is possible that a scaling factor within the animation can set the scaling for the entire character.

There are also component instance override objects in some pccs. I have never seen one that actually does anything but it's probably worth mentioning.

Without knowing how exactly BW set this up, it may be a while before you find the right variable to edit. There is going to be quite a bit of trial and error and checking random edit's effects in the game. Good luck!
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby sansuni » 27 Oct 2015, 23:26

The Fob wrote:Hmmmm, never really worked with scaling much. I can just tell you that I know that scaling can be handled within Interp groups (i.e. Matinee sequences). You will find scaling InterpGroups in a lot of pcc files that are handling scaling of objects during cutscenes.
Otherwise, I'd check the StuntActors and their children. For characters, usually, all the meshes, materials and color tint variations are handled through their stuntactors, so I wouldn't be surprised if the scaling is handled there as well. Best way to do it is to open the pcc file in PCC Editor 2, go to tree view and look through the StuntActor's children (don't forget to use interpreter to see arrays properly).
Last thing I can think of is animation sets. They can also contain scaling information and since default animation sets can also be linked to stunt actors, I guess it is possible that a scaling factor within the animation can set the scaling for the entire character.

There are also component instance override objects in some pccs. I have never seen one that actually does anything but it's probably worth mentioning.

Without knowing how exactly BW set this up, it may be a while before you find the right variable to edit. There is going to be quite a bit of trial and error and checking random edit's effects in the game. Good luck!

Thank you. I will be sure to try it out. I wish there was an easy way to do this, but it is BW's fault for not releasing proper modding tools I guess. Anyway, again thanks for the help. I guess I will try trial and error method with this new information. At least I now know more than I did before and that's something.
sansuni
Modder

Postby FemShep » 28 Oct 2015, 15:37

Interpreter can see arrays properly?
I've seen it only work if it an int array. Otherwise it spits out garbage. Heff was going to fix it, but he up and left.

I'd try to fix it, but I don't actually know where the code for that part of the UI is. I looked but there's like 5 interpreters.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby The Fob » 28 Oct 2015, 17:28

@ FemShep: It works very well for all I have tried. I have mainly looked at MaterialInstantConstants but I don't see why it wouldn't work for other types. Which ones have you tried?

@sansuni: As for modding tool by BioWare, I am constantly surprised by how little the general community on BSN cares. When mods and modding tools come up in threads, people are either indifferent or some are actually actively against it for whatever reason. Here is one example but it's by far not the only one. Since there is certainly no thrilling endorsement or desire for modding tolls in the ME community, I doubt BW will ever be motivated to care at all and I can't blame them.
The Fob
Modder

Postby FemShep » 28 Oct 2015, 18:09

@fob I use pccEditor2 interpreter in all sorts of arrays and it never knows the type. It will list random garbage. There could be 4 element of 64bytes but it lists 8 32bit integers instead. It's pretty useless in most cases I have ever seen. In some its correct but you can't really trust it.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby The Fob » 28 Oct 2015, 18:28

Hm, not sure what to tell you. It works perfectly with everything I've tried (Materals, Sequence objects, Animations, InterpGroups/Tracks, StuntActors, streaming objects, dialogue objects etc).

Here is a random example what it usually looks like for me, just for reference:

So you are saying you don't see something like this?
The Fob
Modder

Return to Mesh and Model Discussion