Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Need help with conditionals.

Dedicated area for content modders to help each other with technical aspects of modding the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Need help with conditionals.

Postby sansuni » 06 Dec 2015, 22:36

I finally managed to find out how to replace starbrat with any mesh. (It was difficult for me to figure out. Any mesh you import would shrink down to child size.) Any mesh I import will look fine now. So I though I could mod nightmare sequences with this. I could replace the starbrat with the Virmire casualty (or anyone else, really) to make the whole thing a lot more meaningful. But the problem is, I have no idea how to do that. (and tutorials didn't help much)

So I aim to put both Ashley and Kaiden in there, assign the already existing conditional to the mesh or whatever and make the one who died on Virmire appear instead of starbrat. Any ideas on how that could be done?
sansuni
Modder

Have thanks: 7 time

Re: Need help with conditionals.

Postby giftfish » 08 Dec 2015, 02:18

I have no idea how the game chooses the mesh, but there are only two ways I know of to add conditionals to control plot: Bioconversations and Kismet sequences. So, if your idea is doable (and I'm not sure it is), you'd have to control it via one of those two methods. Probably something with streaming in the sequence.
giftfish

Postby The Fob » 08 Dec 2015, 05:41

I would put both meshes in, then use a few sequence objects (one conditional and two SetVisibility ones) to decide which mesh should be visible. You can find a reference during the destroy ending, when the starkid is made invisible for instance). Another good example to reference should be in the pcc file of Thane's fight with Kai Leng during the citadel coup. Im this scene, you could either have Thane or Kirrahe and you could also either Have The ME1 Salarian councilor or the new one. I think they just set whatever meshes are not needed to invisible.
You'd have to recreate those objects in the dream sequence (probably byte by byte in HEX). But maybe, if you are lucky, the visibility object may already be i9n the file. I never looked at it but just from playing the game it looks to me like they turn the child's visibility off when it's running away from you at some point. Not sure about this though.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby sansuni » 08 Dec 2015, 11:11

Thanks for the answers.

OK... so... this will be a lot more difficult than I initially imagined. I will try this, but if I can't I will just replace starbrat with a character who certainly died previously I guess.
sansuni
Modder

Have thanks: 7 time

Postby The Fob » 08 Dec 2015, 21:01

sansuni wrote:Thanks for the answers.

OK... so... this will be a lot more difficult than I initially imagined. I will try this, but if I can't I will just replace starbrat with a character who certainly died previously I guess.

It actually shouldn't be super hard to do. Simply clone a SeqAct_CheckConditional and edit it to what you need. Then try to find an object in the sequence of the file that control visibility. If you find it, clone it twice and edit it, so that each makes one mesh invisible. Then it's a simple re-wiring job in the sequence editor. If you can't find it, you may have to create it from scratch (including all the required names and imports) but it's doable, I've done something like this before, just takes some time.

I guess the harder thing might actually be to get both meshes to work at the same time in the scene. I would try that before ever worrying about the invisibility thing (if you can get to a situation where you see Kaidan and Ash overlap, you are 90% there). You'd need to clone the star kid's stunt actor and meshes, then exchange one clone for Ash, the other for Kaidan's mesh. Then comes the tricky part, linking both meshes to the same group in the matinee that controls the cutscene. I have never tried this but I guess the best way to do it depends on how this is set up in the first place.
If you are lucky, they use the FindByTag function in order to put themesh into the cutscene. In this case, you just have to give both StuntActors the same tag property. But it's more likely that the actors are directly linked to their matinee group in the sequence. I am not sure if you can just link two actors to one group. Worst case scenario, you'll have to duplicate the entire InterpGroup for the StuntActor and all the InterpTracks that belong to it.

But hey, here is another idea, which may be easier and where you don't have to worry about two meshes in one file at all:
Make a copy of the entire dream pcc file, then put Ash in one of them, Kaidan in the other. Now just put the conditional into the pcc file that comes before the dreams and according to the conditional, load the correct dream pcc file. You may have to alter some streaming states for this one (which may not be great because it would probably mean modifying files like BioP_Nor.pcc which may cause a lot of incompatibility issues with other mods) but it might just work.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Return to Modders' Help