Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

New(ish) Tool | Audio Editor

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Re: New(ish) Tool | Audio Editor

Postby Deager » 21 Sep 2016, 19:27

The Fob wrote:
@deager -- That makes some sense. The DLL fix wasn't needed for base game files, though, so that's a bit weird.

IIRC, the main problem really was that it took us a while to figure out how/where to exchange the HEX in the pcc files, that indicates offset/length of the sounds. So when we did this for the very first time, we tried to keep everything as it was as much as possible and just change bytes.

Oh that's right. I forget how much crap we know now compared to way back in late 2012 and even all of 2013.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby giftfish » 21 Sep 2016, 20:23

Fyi -- I should have a mocked up GUI by the end of this weekend. Sir and I are ironing out some details.

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby giftfish » 25 Sep 2016, 19:02

And we have a mock up:

To be clear, this is a general mock up, unlike the main window mock ups. The final tool will not look exactly like this.

There's a lot of things to cover with this, so please read carefully:

1. New Template.
All major tools will follow a similar template as this window. The template contains the following:

• Window Size -- This will be changed to 1000x700. Not sure yet if that will be customizable. I know that lots of folks have higher rez monitors now (including myself) and bigger is better, but then it screws folks on smaller screens.
  • Windows Title Bar -- We're switching to a much more typical style with this. The file/path name left-justified, followed by an em dash and the name of the tool.
  • Top Menu -- Again, conforming to certain standards that users expect. File/Edit/View/Tools/Help. Keyboard shortcuts provided. Almost every tool will have these. Help will always point to the wiki/forums/Git. The background color of this area will change for each tool to provide some visual differences across windows. They'll coordinate (roughly) with the icon color.
  • Large Tabs -- When a tool has more than one main function, this is what will provide more flexibility with the GUI. I'm trying to help us get away from having to click a new tab to see every little thing (holy annoying, batman), but these large tabs allow us to completely change the layout of the "content area" below.
  • Toolbar -- Yay for toolbars. Most programs provide at least 3-4 ways to make a specific edit: top menu, toolbar icon, right-click, and keyboard shortcuts. The toolset will now have all these to provide flexibility to the user.
  • Content Area -- The main content area will change for each tool. Also, colored in gray b/c all this white in Win10 is burning my fucking retinas.
  • Infobar -- All major tools will have an infobar immediately below the content area. This will include the file name, a summary of main data associated with the file. As you can see, there's still more space, so we'll likely mess with the layout a bit and create a section that is specific to each tool. The backgroun will match the Top Menu.
  • Progress Bar/Debug -- Some tools will have a bar and text; others will only have text. It depends on the tool and operations. The tool will always let you know when an operation has completed and there will be no more dialog pop ups. Yay.

That covers the new general template. Now onto the new Audio Editor, itself.

2. Audio Editor Overview.
It will combine the following:

• Audio Extractor
  • Soundplorer
  • WwiseBank Editor
  • Fob's AFC Creator
The tool will be divided up into a Wwisestreams tab and a Wwisebanks tab, as these are the two type of exports involved in audio replacement and editing.

WwiseStreams Tab
This tab has a list of the Wwisestreams in the loaded file on the left, and associated properties on the right. Each pane is searchable in it's own right and can be adjusted left/right and up/down. ONLY export names will be shown in the list. Columns now have proper labels that will stay fixed while scrolling. There will be context menu and toolbar options to extract the selected track(s) or all audio in the file, plus a couple of configuration options.

The Properties area on the right is confined to WwiseBank and AFC associations, as that's the only thing involved in audio replacement and editing. If the modder needs to clone in exports, relink, etc, all that must be done in PackEd, which can be open simultaneously. The layout of the Properties area in all tools will follow a slightly more updated UDK-style, everything collapsible, etc. We'll make sure there is a button to easily collapse/expand everything with one click (or I will go insane :D).

Replace Audio Area.
This is the new workflow for replacing audio for a single export or two dozen exports. I haven't mocked up all the visual aspects; instead I describe the workflow. The goal is to make a complex process as simple as possible. As few clicks as possible. Drag/drop into boxes 1 & 2. Reorder via drag/drop within box #2, then specifiy your AFCs in box 3. There will be an easy way to point all replacements to the same AFC. If for some reason you need to point to 12 different AFCs, you'll be able to do that, too. Same with creating a new AFC from scratch.

Once you've configured the tool, there will be some type of "Go" button and everything will be done automatically. No more hex editing.

Tools.
The Tools main menu option will provide 2 other functionalities:

• Batch Extract Audio -- This will allow the user to extract all audio for the game or multiple selected files.
  • AFC Creator -- For folks who want to stick to the old hex-editing method, this will provide a simple GUI for Fob's tool, launched within the toolset. Probably similar to the Replace Audio area, just with only boxes 2 & 3, and the latter will only allow a single AFC. It would be up to the user to hand-edit the hex in PackEd.

-----

Sir will likely start working on this soon, as I work on the new GUI for the Wwisebank tab. That tab is going to be troublesome b/c the current editor is such a... well, mess. Folks with experience in editing the banks, please monitor this thread, as I'll likely be posting questions that will need feedback.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 26 Sep 2016, 17:09

I just remembered something else we need to consider with the new editor: wwisestreams that exist as RIFFs. The toolset doesn't seem to know how to handle these, which makes sense a bit, as gibbed's audio extractor doesn't handle these properly, either.

I've been researching something with Hanar Diplomat and actually just ran into this, so the timing is convenient.

Here's a RIFF, as viewed in PackEd:

Note that the WwiseStream RIFF, A-Doesn't have a File Name Property, and B- has a whole shitton of hex that is, I guess, PCC-stored audio?

Here's what it looks like in Soundplorer, and it cannot be played, likely b/c the toolset doesn't really understand where it is:

Something else funny: If you try to extract it, the toolset will say that it has, but if you look in the specified directory, it's not there. So, two bugs with that (not extracting, and doesn't realize it hasn't extracted.

So, right now, RIFFs cannot be edited or extracted.

----

FYI, here's "normal" WwiseStream object in PackEd and that is playable/extractable/replaceable in Soundplorer:
Spoiler:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 26 Sep 2016, 17:24

Soundplorer has been able to play and extract pcc-stored sounds since 2.0.8. It can't replace them though. I got distracted by other things and never got around to that I'm afraid.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 26 Sep 2016, 17:54

SirCxyrtyx wrote:Soundplorer has been able to play and extract pcc-stored sounds since 2.0.8. It can't replace them though. I got distracted by other things and never got around to that I'm afraid.

Maybe it's a bug unique to this file, then, b/c it cannot play or extract the sound from that export. I try and like I said, the file is not created. And clicking play does nothing.

Do you want me to report it as a bug on Git?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 26 Sep 2016, 18:08

This is a file you've edited right? Try re-saving the file with 2.0.15 first. Despite the fact that the audio data is right there, it's accessed as though the pcc was an afc, so it looks for a specific offset in the file. Doing a reconstruction save could mess that up. In 2.0.15, I've fixed that by re-doing the offsets for pcc-stored WwiseStreams when saving.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 26 Sep 2016, 18:35

SirCxyrtyx wrote:This is a file you've edited right? Try re-saving the file with 2.0.15 first. Despite the fact that the audio data is right there, it's accessed as though the pcc was an afc, so it looks for a specific offset in the file. Doing a reconstruction save could mess that up. In 2.0.15, I've fixed that by re-doing the offsets for pcc-stored WwiseStreams when saving.

No, this is a vanilla file. Just re-tested to be certain. You should be able to replicate on your end by loading BIoD_CitHub_HanarDiplomat_LOC_INT.pcc inside Soundplorer and attempting to listen/extract.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 26 Sep 2016, 18:47

Something else involving Cinedesign sounds.

There's a strange flow here I'm going to have to understand to put together the GUI for the WwisebankEditor.

Same vanilla, HanarPlot_LOC_INT.pcc:

Here's a typical WwiseEvent object:
Normally, there's a reference at the end of the object that points to the relevant WwiseStream export. The user can then open in Soundplorer and listen to that sound file.

For many cinedesign sounds, this doesn't work. For example, in this file there are 13 cinedesign Wwiseevents:
There are only four cinedesign Wwisestream exports that can be played. In addition, there are no cinedesign-related imports. So, somehow, the game is getting directly from the Wwiseevent to the AFC via the bank. There is no stream object as far as I can tell, which means there's no way to extract or listen to the sound. I've looked in the bank and tracked down the relevant entries, but none of the hex references any of the 4 cinedesign wwisestreams in the file, which aligns with my thought above.

I have no doubt all the sounds are actually stored in Wwise_CitHub_Cinedesign.afc, but I don't see how to access them.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Tarshana » 05 Oct 2016, 19:52

Can this be used to change a music file in game, such as putting the Wards Music from ME1 as the ambiance music on the Normandy rather than the hum/no noise?
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

PreviousNext

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development