Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

New PCC files for meshes and textures?

Area for discussions related to meshes/models, 3D modeling programs, and the like. Can cross over into texture-related discussion. As with other non-toolset related areas, answers not guaranteed.

New PCC files for meshes and textures?

Postby barbarossa_rotbart » 31 Jan 2016, 12:26

Is there a way to create new PCC files with new meshes and textures? I want to create a DLC mod containing all my favourite outfit mods.
barbarossa_rotbart
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: New PCC files for meshes and textures?

Postby puckhead73 » 01 Feb 2016, 17:34

To the best of my knowledge there isn't. I've been working on a compilation of armor mods to add in the game, and there doesn't appear to be a way to create a brand new PCC with brand new materials in it. The closest you could probably get is by cloning existing materials in an existing PCC and then modding the cloned materials. This is only a reliable process for femshep though. Cloning any broshep materials causes a crash upon entering the armor selection screen. I've tried this in both the base game BIO_HMM_ARM_SHP_R.pcc and the BIOG_HMM_SHP_FBD_R.pcc from the alternate appearance mod. (those names are from the top of my head and may not be entirely accurate, but you get the idea.)

way back when Ash66444 was able to clone broshep materials, as exhibited by a pcc she uploaded that contained an additional 6 armors for modding, so if broshep is who you are shooting for, that's the way to go there. (It's what I'm doing.)

It's good to keep in mind though that femshep has none of the above issues and by all means seems to work perfectly with the cloning process. If you are interested, the following threads will really get you going:

updated-adding-new-meshes-materials-textures-via-cloning-t1100.html

adding-new-meshes-materials-textures-w-o-replacing-t1084.html

What you have described sounds extremely similar to what I've spent the last few weeks learning and working on, so if you have any questions I'm happy to help further.
puckhead73
User

Have thanks: 3 time

Postby barbarossa_rotbart » 02 Feb 2016, 17:46

Although this might be off-topic but perhaps it is possible to rename a PCC file with new meshes. If that is possible you could even use replacement mods which replace the same meshes. But that's just an idea...
barbarossa_rotbart
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby puckhead73 » 02 Feb 2016, 21:47

Disclaimer - this is just my understanding of how the tools operate, how the games read the files, and the funtionality available to us. Anyone who knows more than I please correct me if I have any of this wrong.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are suggesting taking a PCC like BIO_HMM_ARM_SHP_R and renaming it and just using the meshes/file structure in it? If that is what you mean that wouldn't work, as (correct me if I'm wrong) the game doesn't differentiate between different PCCs with files that have the same name - ie. if you were to just copy an existing PCC and rename it to something else, both would contain the same filestructure, so if you were to use the PCC I named above, both would have HMM_ARM_SHP_FBDd (the collector armor.) Even if you were to replace the mesh in the new pcc all that would happen is it would overwrite the original pcc in game, you wouldn't be able to have both. This is exactly how DLC mods work.

If you were instead suggesting trying to clone a mesh and file to a PCC that is known to allow cloning, like the femshep armor pcc, the issue you would run into there is that to my knowledge there isn't an established process that allows you to clone a mesh/material from one PCC into another. At least I haven't been able to figure out how it works. This is why pretty much every mesh mod you see out right now is just replacing existing content, not adding new content. The second link above is really the only files I've found that actually adds new armor fields to the game instead of just replacing existing.

Writing this all out though, I have an idea I'm going to test tonight after work- since cloning does work in the femshep PCC, I'm going to clone some of the materials in that PCC and then see if I can link the coalesced to load those armors for broshep. If I can do that successfully, then I can just replace those meshes and textures accordingly. I'm guessing (and again, someone more knowledgeable than I please feel free to chime in) from the way coalesced requires the reference to what PCC to use that as long as the coalesced references the correct materials it should theoretically load for broshep. I'll definitely report back on what I find out when I try it.
puckhead73
User

Postby puckhead73 » 03 Feb 2016, 01:28

Well good news I think!

I was successfully able to have Male Shep wear femshep armor. Although I was so focused on the fact that I could, I didn't take the time to consider whether I should. :lol:

Next i'm going to try cloning some of femsheps armors and replacing the clones with brosheps meshes. If this all works we should be good to go and you can just use FemShep's pcc to carry addtional armors for Broshep.
puckhead73
User

Postby giftfish » 03 Feb 2016, 02:02

LOLOL!!!

Wow, still laughing about that...
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby deadspear » 03 Feb 2016, 12:41

He looks fabulous. :D
deadspear
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 03 Feb 2016, 13:41

Hi Puckhead/Barbarossa - I like it! Sorry I didn't see this earlier. You are going in the right direction. Cloning is the way forward.

For some reason the HMM armors don't like cloning whilst the HMF are much more malleable. Be aware though that sometimes the materials need adjusting between Bro and Femshep, and to transfer the mesh via UDK usually works best. Also the boundings sometimes need editing otherwise you get effects like small heads on big bodies etc.

If you are doing Full Body armors they need a helmet setting (which can be the same mesh as the armor) in the coalesced.

I completely failed to find a way to get Broshep to wear the Phoenix HMM version (it would crash every 2nd attempt). There are 5 ME1 armors in HMM_HVY - Phoenix, Mercenary, Duelist and Eclipse/Blue Suns. I have seen them all but can't get them stable.

I managed to get the N7 armors into the SP game successfully though. If you have any more questions let me know.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby puckhead73 » 03 Feb 2016, 15:07

Thanks for the insight Kinko. To that end, how were you able to have the Onyx armors retain the N7 stripe on them? I was going to include them in my mod but gave up because even though the texture I added had the stripe on it, it would revert to the basic grey onyx like what Kaidan wears at the start of ME1.

I hit a bit of a standstill after the monstrosity above, as even though I went through and cloned one of femshep's armors and then replaced it with a broshep mesh and textures, when I would load the game up it would show up as an exact duplicate of broshep's Defender armor. (This wasn't the mesh or textures that I imported to the clone.) I beat my head against it for a bit and decided to call it a night. I'm going to try and tackle it again tonight, I could have screwed something up either in the cloning process or in my coalesced edit.
puckhead73
User

Postby Kinkojiro » 04 Feb 2016, 12:35

puckhead73 wrote:I hit a bit of a standstill after the monstrosity above, as even though I went through and cloned one of femshep's armors and then replaced it with a broshep mesh and textures, when I would load the game up it would show up as an exact duplicate of broshep's Defender armor. (This wasn't the mesh or textures that I imported to the clone.) I beat my head against it for a bit and decided to call it a night. I'm going to try and tackle it again tonight, I could have screwed something up either in the cloning process or in my coalesced edit.

That sounds like a problem with the material (it points between the mesh and the various textures that sit on it). It sounds like it is pointing to the wrong place at some level. Either that or the model is pointing to the wrong material.

Another thing you should be aware is that the sockets need adjusting if you are copying between Fem/Bro files (and even within). Otherwise weapons on the back will clip through the model.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Next

Return to Mesh and Model Discussion