Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

News + Help | BioWare and BSN Closure

General news and announcements for ME3Explorer.

News + Help | BioWare and BSN Closure

Postby giftfish » 12 Aug 2016, 18:45

I think everyone around here knows about this by now, but I want to sticky some info for the near future:

1. New Website
Once the BW Forum goes read-only in a couple weeks, it'll be especially hard to communicate and gather information. Once it's taken down in October, anyone who has been oblivious to all this and then tries to visit the site will be in for a rude awakening. This WP has been created to disseminate information related to the closure and help guide users as to new alternatives to the content that's no longer available.

The site is very much a WIP. The name may change (it's not linked to the URL), and I'm open to suggestions ("Retake BSN?"). I chose the URL specifically for search engine hits. That we don't want to change at this point, since we're already spreading it around.

2. BSN Projects.
Sometime today I'll be posting a new article on the website regarding the efforts being made to inventory BSN projects. As many folks around here may know, there's a lot of mods for Mass Effect, especially, that are on BSN and nowhere else. All these mods will be gone come October. We're trying to inventory them so we have a record. From there, we're including links to other (reputable) download locations, if they exist. If the author has given standing permissions that the mod is "open", we're uploading to Nexusmods. If there's no permissions, we're contacting mod authors.

As you might expect this is a huge project and we need help, as we're on a timeline. All it requires is your time and a bit of spreadsheet work. It's not hard, and if you value these mods and the work the author has done, then it can be your way of "giving back".

Efforts are being coordinated on Nexus mods in this thread.

Even if you don't have time/desire to help, please spread word of the effort (and the website link) on your social media sites. That in itself may help draw other helpers to the project, in addition to letting folks know about the closure :)

Thanks!

--gift
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: News + Help | BioWare and BSN Closure

Postby giftfish » 08 Sep 2016, 20:55

BSN CLOSING

So, we finally have confirmation that BSN will be closed. Very convenient for BW to wait until the forums are read-only to announce it. If you log into the old BSN, you'll be greeted with a message about the closure. They're calling it a "phasing out" of the content, but I think we all know the player content will be removed, and BW will then roll the DAO Toolset, DLC and patches into Origin. The DAO wiki they might roll into the Keep or just spin it off onto a new URL and update the aesthetics.

Info and screenshots here:
https://whereisbioware.wordpress.com/20 ... g-efforts/

What I particularly love is that the publicly-viewable notice says nothing about content removal. And, how many people actaully log in these days unless it's to download a patch or DLC? Not many.

INVENTORY UPDATE

This makes the project inventory effort even more important. It's proceeding slowly, as it's mostly been Tarshana and Creeper working on it. We're probably about 1/4 of the way through, considering that not all 4170 projects are legitimate. There's a lot of spam in the projects.

However, what we need is more help. Many mod authors simply don't know. We inventory the project on the spreadsheet and check if there's already a host other than BSN. If there is, we put the link on the spreadsheet and we're done. If not, then we contact the author. From there, we want the author to handle their mod, themselves. If we really can't talk them into it (and we shouldn't have to), then we'll put it up on Nexus for them. That's basically it. There's a lot of nuances (and instructions to explain them), but that's the basic process.

Some of you have PM'd me in the past asking if there was some way to pitch in and help toolset. This doesn't involve the toolset, but the inventory needs your help. We're all here b/c we like to either make or use mods (or both). Once projects are removed, any mod you like to use that isn't found elsewhere on the web is literally gone. Granted, you might be able to find someone who can share the file with you privately, but as far as the larger community is concerned, the mod no longer exists.

Please pitch in and help with the inventory, and help us prevent this from happening. It's not hard, but it's time-consuming. We coordinate on Nexus, here:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4716405-bsn-is-shutting-down;-files-there-could-be-lost/

giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 09 Sep 2016, 15:16

New page up last night to explain things specifically to BSN Project Authors.

I you have projects on BSN that aren't elsewhere on the web, this is the stuff you need to know as an author.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 31 Oct 2016, 17:24

A couple updates:

1. We're trying to get a solid answer from BW, but it looks like Projects are down. They've been unavailable since last Thursday, 10/27, a day after the forum removal. It's possible to log into BSN and access the main project page, but clicking on any project leads to an empty page.

2. Luckily, we had just finished inventorying all projects with downloadable files. While there are some projects with third party download links, they are the exception to the rule. We have a few things to wrap up with the inventory, but it will be finished soon.

3. We have 4 full backups of BSN Projects, but we cannot upload a project to Nexus without appropriate permissions from the mod author. Unfortunately, we are unable to contact most authors, and the ones we do contact are not replying and are not uploading on their own. This means many, many projects are going to be lost, unless we can convince Nexus to make an exception for the situation, similar to file front.

-----

We're keeping the website updated... which is something I actually need to go do now, ack.

FYI, since the inventory is almost complete, I'll remove this announcement from global status and put it back in the normal announcement area :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Return to Announcements