Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

NEWS | State of the Toolset and Forum

General news and announcements for ME3Explorer.

Re: NEWS | State of the Toolset and Forum

Postby giftfish » 10 Feb 2016, 18:13

UPDATE.

We now have a small handful of Global Moderators. They've been "promoted" and contacted via PM. Their role isn't being advertised, b/c it's a relatively small thing and they are all busy folks; I don't want them getting overwhelmed by PMs, etc.

If you weren't chosen as a moderator, please don't read anything into it. It's really not a big deal. Also, please don't ask us if you can be a moderator. If we feel you would be an appropriate fit and we need more moderators in the future (unlikely), then we'll reach out to you.

I'll be working my a little bit more quickly through the Toolset Help section now that BO is released. It'll likely still take about a month, though :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby giftfish » 20 Feb 2016, 17:32

UPDATE.

The ThaneMOD subforum has been removed. It was erected in early 2013 before the move to Proboards, and with that move, became pretty much instantly deprecated. With the forum re-organization, here, it was even more deprecated.

Threads have been reorganized just a little bit since they needed to be relocated into new sections. All thread/post content has been split into : Modder's Help, Modder's Research, and Mods in Development areas.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 09 Mar 2016, 15:18

Quick update.

Almost done with filtering through the Toolset Help area. Those of you paying attention will have noticed a drastic decrease in the size of this section. It started out at 39 pages, is now down to 13, and I still have a few pages to filter through. The vast majority of the other 26 pages has been moved to different sections in The Mess Hall. Some have been relocated to Modder's Help, and a few stray threads here and there have been placed in other locations appropriate for the thread.

For you old timers, yesterday as I was sorting threads I actually hit what was quite an obvious change in the content of the section during 2013. Over the course of 2-3 pages, help requests transitioned from what we've sort of grown used to with all the texture/mod installation tools, to many more questions related to mod creation and research, as the knowledge base was still growing. This is what the old General Help section started as -- a place for community members to really engage with each other, help each other, and discuss how to mod the game. There was a teamwork aspect, and generally questions were relatively... intelligent.

Then, during 2013 as more mods started to be released, and modding for ME3 became more main stream the section morphed into a "Texplorer hangs during scanning, plz fix", and "I want to change power X. Can I? How? Plz explain. Kthxbai." In the vast majority of cases, these people aren't true members of the community -- they make a post or two for help, but give nothing in return. The old types of modding discussions were still there, but they got drowned out by things like this, and soon, completely dominated by them. No more, though. Now these questions each have their own homes: Toolset Help, How do I...?, and Modder's Help.

Definitely a good laugh and a bit of fun to re-read through some of this old stuff :)

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby The Fob » 09 Mar 2016, 15:46

Yea, 2013 was definitely the peak year where the toolset really took of and got more public notice.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby JunkoXan » 09 Mar 2016, 16:46

2014 wasn't much easier as the tools matured more, still humorous though. :mrgreen:
JunkoXan
User

Have thanks: 15 time

Postby giftfish » 04 Apr 2016, 22:37

And, we have an update!

The following forums are now in "final" state:

• Introductions
  • New Releases
  • Off Topic
  • Announcements
  • Wiki Development
  • Toolset Help
  • The entire Coders Board (uh, mostly)
The Toolset Help board went from 39 pages to 10. This is a *drastic* improvement to the organization of the forum. Folks are also getting used to using The Mess Hall, which is great.

The Coders Board needed a lot of help. We now FINALLY have real dev threads for many tools. Many, but not all. We'll toss new dev threads up as we need them, and discussions related to specific tools should take place there.

-----

Final part of the overhaul will be to make one more pass through the Mess Hall and Modders' Board and finalize the structure and thread locations. B/c of the synergy b/n the Modders and Coders boards, it's possible that there might be some additional changes to the latter. We'll see.

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 06 Apr 2016, 21:08

And, another update :)

1. Toolset Modders.
This area is now finished. Forum captions have been shortened and clarified, and thread relocation is done. MEHEM's section is now gone, like ThaneMOD's. Content previously in this section has been archived, moved to various other areas on the same board, or relocated to Nexus.

Organization of this board should be very intuitive, but let me know if there are questions. There *is* a certain amount of content overlap in the research sections on the Coders and Modders boards, but in general, the Coders stuff should be much more technical. Coders are focused on building tools, Modders are focused on what can be achieved by using the tools.

2. Coalesced Questions.
After relocating various threads that were a better fit for other areas, this forum has been archived and locked for several reasons:

• The forum wasn't very active; we've never been a community focused on coalesced modding.
  • Both existing coalesced tools are entirely unmaintained, and incompatible with DLC coalesceds.
  • Much of the information in these threads was out of date (lots of DLC-related stuff) and/or specifically in relation to using non-toolset tools to mod the coalesced (Wenchy).
Eventually, relevant information located in these threads that is correct will end up on the wiki. In the meantime, this community is not (and has never been) the best place for users to ask coalesced-related questions. Those who still want to ask SP coalesced-related questions can do so in "How do I...". (This forum will be retained.) Modders who have questions about DLC coalesceds for their content mods should utilize the Modders' Help area.

It's possible that a specialized coalesced area will be re-erected in the future, if/when we purge the existing tools and integrate TankMaster's converter/editor into the toolset. However, if this happens, it would be a part of the Toolset Modders' Board, as it won't be a tool geared toward the average user (like Wenchy).

3. The Mess Hall.
This area is currently being worked on and is in flux. Some of the remaining areas will stay open, and after some thought, Introduction and Off Topic forums have been relocated here, as it seems more appropriate. The names of subforums that are complete and will be staying open appear on the forum home page. Expect more information about this area in the upcoming days.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 20 Apr 2016, 21:24

FYI, I'll have time to get back to this soon, after we push the stable and I wrap up some edits to the wiki :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 21 May 2016, 17:34

Overhaul is almost done :)

--Mess Hall is now a subcategory (rather than a subforum) of the main board and will stay there.
--Descriptions of all MH sections have been clarified so folks know they can ask certain questions, but they may not get answers.
--Only the Texture and Meshes section still needs some work, which should be wrapped up over the next week.

Help requests have dramatically decreased, which is great, and likely due to the wiki and age of the trilogy. Members are getting used to the new forum layout (also great), and devs have an easier time filtering through posts (and ignoring what they want), based upon what board the post is located in. I think it's safe at this point for us to retain the remainder of the out of scope boards in the Mess as a result, as long as folks continue to be clear that a post isn't a guarantee of an answer. If problems crop up in the future, then the issue can be revisited.

As far as Andromeda goes, I haven't been keeping up with news since I won't be playing, but do folks want an Andromeda board added to the Mess?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 22 May 2016, 00:59

I think an Andromeda board, if we have one, could wait until the game actually comes out. Since it will be in an entirely new engine, any attempts to mod it will be entirely separate to the toolset. I imagine the situation might be similar to DA:I, where people interested in modding it might initially talk here before making their own forum once/if they get enough momentum.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements