Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Operation Clean ME3Explorer

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Operation Clean ME3Explorer

Postby AmaroK86 » 15 May 2013, 14:25

I know that we have talked sunday about that but I'm posting here to make it officially: do you agree about a code cleaning?
Since the beginning, the project grew up with lots of code lines, trials & experiments, some more useful than others. Now my objective is to get rid of code and external programs not used anymore, but I don't want to start erasing parts and then discovering that was still useful or used by somebody.
So I'm asking you guys: "Which programs inside ME3explorer do you think are not useful anymore?"
I can start saying that PCCEditor 1 and Asset Explorer should be the first to disappear.

Now feel free to add your opinions, in a week I'll start cleaning :)

List of programs selected for removal, it's updated daily:
- PCC Explorer
- PCC Editor 1 (+ unrealhelper folder)
- PCC Repacker
- Decompressor
- Asset Explorer (not removed)
My multiplayer ID: AmaroK86_64
AmaroK86
Emeritus

Have thanks: 36 time

Re: Operation Clean ME3Explorer

Postby saltisgood » 15 May 2013, 15:31

I'd add PCC Repacker and Decompressor to the list. I don't think anyone bothers repacking and decompression can be done in the PCC Editor.

Do you really want to get rid of the Asset Explorer? It could be a very user friendly front end for some of the other programs.

Edit: And I'm already in the process of removing some of the external files required for use in the Texplorer. Since you added that image handling stuff I don't need the readdxt.exe program in ME3Texplorer, once I've updated it to allow the extra file format in ME1 and ME2 it won't be needed at all. I'm also getting rid of the external settings files that are only used for like one thing.

saltisgood has been thanked by:
saltisgood
Emeritus

Have thanks: 155 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 15 May 2013, 16:02

you can delete the entire "unrealhelper" folder if you remove pcced1, its not used elsewhere
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section

WarrantyVoider has been thanked by:
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Postby AmaroK86 » 16 May 2013, 12:42

saltisgood wrote:Do you really want to get rid of the Asset Explorer? It could be a very user friendly front end for some of the other programs.
Which one f.e.? I think that's pretty useless right now:
- to open and edit a pcc file now we have PCCEditor2
- to replace a texture we have Texplorer
- to replace sounds we have Soundplorer
also nobody adds new features to it or update it in general.

With
saltisgood wrote:I'd add PCC Repacker and Decompressor to the list. I don't think anyone bothers repacking and decompression can be done in the PCC Editor.
I partially agree with you. I used to test changes on pccobject's structure and check if compression work, but if I'm the only one that use them they can be removed as well.

I also found another program no more needed:
- PCC Explorer

Any other suggestions?

Edit:
what's the difference between TOCbinUpdater and TOC.bin Editor? can they be merged?
AmaroK86
Emeritus

Postby WarrantyVoider » 16 May 2013, 15:34

tocbinupdater checks all entries at once, editor is for single handed edits. you could merge it too. also +1 for pccexplorer, we can write scripts for this now... btw anyone for mod job support for sounds?

greetz
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby saltisgood » 16 May 2013, 18:15

AmaroK86 wrote:
saltisgood wrote:Do you really want to get rid of the Asset Explorer? It could be a very user friendly front end for some of the other programs.
Which one f.e.? I think that's pretty useless right now:
- to open and edit a pcc file now we have PCCEditor2
- to replace a texture we have Texplorer
- to replace sounds we have Soundplorer
also nobody adds new features to it or update it in general.

The Texplorer is a different beast since it works with all the files at once, but for other tools like the PCC Editor, Soundplorer, Material Viewer, Meshplorer, etc, they all work on one file at a time and they all require you to open the tool then open the file. It would be a pretty radical move, but if you wanted to really clear up the menus you could get rid of or at least hide those tools then just launch them from inside the Asset Explorer when it detects a certain class of object. I always thought it had a very clean, simple look about the whole tool which is why I say it's a user friendly front end and it'd be a shame to get rid of it. Plus, it already has certain sound editing capabilities so presumably the Soundplorer could be merged with it, and the Material Viewer could be added as the equivalent of preview with textures but for materials. It's not my creation so it's not my call, but I think it should stay.

^And I've now got the 3Dc texture format previewing working, so readdxt.exe can officially be removed. Quick off-topic: It's almost perfect, I just can't quite get the blue channel working properly. The format is a 2-channel thing and the third gets created when it's loaded. Since it's calculated differently in different programs I suppose it doesn't really matter and it's good enough for a preview but I would have liked to have got it looking as good as the version on the right.
Spoiler:
saltisgood
Emeritus

Have thanks: 155 time

Postby Fog.Gene » 17 May 2013, 08:27

Maybe the empty, invisible experimental menu in Form1? Nobody seems to be using it and with WV new Crazy Tools menu it's kind of deprecated.

Edit: Nvm, I'm using it now. Also, next update I'm removing the Backup Tool due to glitches (and because it is not a tool in-line with the purpose of ME3Explorer).
Last edited by Fog.Gene on 17 May 2013, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Regere: Let the world know of its sovereign. I shall be the rule by which all things are measured.
Polyhistor: Then I am to be the slave, for all things shall be my master.
Fog.Gene
Emeritus

Have thanks: 65 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 17 May 2013, 12:37

Fog.Gene wrote: Nobody seems to be using it and with WV new Crazy Tools menu it's kind of deprecated.

yeah, about that, it was experimental (as usual^^) so I was undecided, put it whereever you like or delete it. it doesnt seem very promising way anyway...

greetz WV
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby Fog.Gene » 17 May 2013, 12:45

Apparently it was visible, just had no text it it. I added some text to it ("Experimental") and made it invisible. I'm gonna be using it now, don't delete :P
Regere: Let the world know of its sovereign. I shall be the rule by which all things are measured.
Polyhistor: Then I am to be the slave, for all things shall be my master.
Fog.Gene
Emeritus

Have thanks: 65 time

Postby AmaroK86 » 17 May 2013, 19:04

Ok so the Asset Explorer can stay for now, but I'd like to hear how many of us still use it, because if only you still use it you can use older versions to make tests, like I will do with PCC Repacker.
saltisgood wrote:^And I've now got the 3Dc texture format previewing working, so readdxt.exe can officially be removed. Quick off-topic: It's almost perfect, I just can't quite get the blue channel working properly. The format is a 2-channel thing and the third gets created when it's loaded. Since it's calculated differently in different programs I suppose it doesn't really matter and it's good enough for a preview but I would have liked to have got it looking as good as the version on the right.
Spoiler:

wow that's a very good job! the colors seems to be reverted in some way (cyan instead of magenta and vice versa). I had a similar problem when researching V8U8 display, maybe you should swap some + operation with a - (minus) to get the correct color?

AmaroK86 has been thanked by:
AmaroK86
Emeritus

Next

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development