Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Possible change of download/revision hosting

General news and announcements for ME3Explorer.

Re: Possible change of download/revision hosting

Postby FemShep » 26 Jul 2015, 19:28

Continued from update-version0109-rev-711-textures-t1948.html

Organizations can have multiple owners. I can make one and then add you guys as admins if you give me your github name. I think I've already seen yours Heff.
How we set the branches up depends on some stuff. Are we planning to ever release another stable build? Or just use a single, master branch and merge pull requests into it?

This thread seems to talk about disabling git-push (after we do the initial upload) permissions but allowing us to do a pull request.
https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/issues/6432

We can do as many commits to our forks as necessary and then when a pull request is accepted (or multiple, pending ones) we can push out a new rev.
I am unsure how this will affect the productversion part of Visual Studio.

We will need a square icon to represent ME3Explorer. The organization only allows square pictures. Perhaps the ME3Explorer icon?
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby Heff » 26 Jul 2015, 19:47

I would suggest a tiered forkin workflow, perhaps something similar to the standard forking workflow combined with git flow.
Working towards stable releases is pretty important imo, that means we can actually limit the feature-set to what works in some manner, and keep the continuous development in targeted branches. Having stable versions also makes bugfixing way less fiddly, as there is not a lot of new experimental features that could be the cause.

I don't think there's any need to force any roles, as long as we agree on a model of using pull requests that is usually good enough.
In my experience it's good to have pull requests for merges into the main dev branch, but let feature-branches be quicker evolving by not requiring that.
That way anything that is going into the core is checked before going into dev, and so dev can be used as a "semi-stable" branch where integration and testing is done, before finally making a tag and moving it over to master for a stable release.

I would encourage everyone to have their own forks though, even for feature-branches or the equivalent. That lets you have all kinds of custom local changes and tweaks without polluting the main repo's branches, and makes anything in the main repo a choice rather than whatever was experimented with.

And yes, I do think an organisation would be the best solution for this, we should probably contact previously active contributors and offer to include them as well, even if anyone can fork at any time.
Heff
Coder

Have thanks: 61 time

Postby FemShep » 26 Jul 2015, 19:53

Heff, I added you to the org, check your GH. I sent one to a user named WarrantyVoider, but nothing was there to make sure it was him. I haven't made the repo yet. We can't really push anything until we get 711 somewhere. It was Kfreon I think with it..

For reference, git workflow for most procedures goes like this:

Getting:
git clone <githuburl>
If you want to push back to it you need to use the https:// git clone. It's listed on the github page, and if you change the branch view it will show the branches.

Commiting:
git add <files/dirs or -u for existing updates>
git commit -m "Commit message"
git push

Updating your code: git pull

If conflicts:
File will have <<<HEAD and >>>revhash. Remove those tags, and then manually merge them (or with a tool).
Commit this new file. On push it will merge with the branch.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby Heff » 26 Jul 2015, 20:17

FemShep wrote:Heff, I added you to the org, check your GH.
-snip-

Great, accepted. As I wrote in the other thread I'll be away for 6-7 days after today, so if you don't want to do it all yourself you can just wait for me to get back. If you do make the repo, make sure that SVN contributors are mapped with git authors so that the history can be properly converted to git, who knows when we might need that data.

We should probably write up a proper workflow guide to make everything as smooth as possible, once we've had some more opinions of the workflow and decided on one.

Edit:
Another important thing to consider is how we handle having / lack of a license for the project. With the amount of contributors we have it'll be hell trying to get hold of everyone to decide on any project-wide license. If we leave it without a specified license then the code rights belong to each contributor, but it's a grey area how much others are allowed to change / use without consent from the original author as well. One hybrid solution is to have a license that's permissive for the content that we can, and for those contributors we cant get hold of we can have exceptions to that license specifying that the rights belong to the original author.
Heff
Coder

Have thanks: 61 time

Postby FemShep » 27 Jul 2015, 19:39

Hello, I saw your comment on the SourceForge.net blog post regarding problems with your SVN repo.

I work with SourceForge.net, and would like to help with your SVN repo. The revisions past r708 could not be recovered from backup.

To resolve this, would you please dump the revisions from your local SVN repo, as follows:

svnadmin dump --incremental -r 709:711 | gzip -c > me3explorer.code.dump.gz

Then, please create a sourceforge support ticket, attach the dump file to it, and just say it is for Tim Smith in site ops. That should enable me to get the repo restored. https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/new/

Thank you,

Tim

Once we get SVN fixed importing to git would be easy.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby KFreon » 27 Jul 2015, 20:21

Oh wow. Has SF messed up that badly? Bugger...Hopefully I'll have time to do it this afternoon.
Interestingly, when I go to SF, I can see the entire 711 and read files and stuff.

EDIT: Am I just missing the actual problem?
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby FemShep » 27 Jul 2015, 20:27

You can't checkout a project, it fails when getting to 710.
I need someone's copy of 711 that has the .svn folder included.

Edit: NVM, there it is, forgot on my VM I have hidden files off
Edit2: Working copies don't count as repos. I'm pretty sure nobody had a local repo, only the SF one. Which means we'll have to manually merge these changes using a recursive diff to find changed files.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby FemShep » 27 Jul 2015, 22:04

ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby KFreon » 28 Jul 2015, 07:23

Major congrats to Heff and FemShep for setting all that up.
That's going to be fantastic, since now we can commit other works (like my WPF version) to branches and keep everything centralised.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby FemShep » 28 Jul 2015, 14:00

Give me your username and I will make you an admin so you can merge pull requests. Also you'll need to look up bow branching works (I think its just get checkout (branchname) but I can't be certain.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements